Well, I have an Fender Frontman 15R (I know, it's shit) and it's broken. You must be thinking 'just throw it away and buy a decent amp', but I really need to practice and further selling it, because i'm thinking about buying an Roland Cube 40x (http://www.foxtrot.com.br/Produto/01040152805001/Amplificador+p+Guitarra+Roland+Cube+40+XL).

To be specific, it died because it was pluged in a 220V line and it's limit is 117V and... you know. THAT burnt smell and stuff. And I wanted help about fixing it. If there's an easy way to do it myself, I would like to hear about it.

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, and sorry for my grammar too... it's probably messed up.
You fried the power source.. Unless you've taken some course work in ciruitry, it's a drink stand now.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
It will cost more to fix than buying a better amp. It sucks, but thats the way it is.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Open it up and look for burning. Those parts need to be replaced. As long as you don't also have to replace a transformer it would be a convenient way to learn.
Not worth the trouble. Get a VJ
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
As long as you don't also have to replace a transformer it would be a convenient way to learn.

I like the idea of learning from this.

So, resuming, if the transformer is burnt, I'll only be able to fix it by taking it to a professional to replace it. That's it?
Quote by Matterazi
I like the idea of learning from this.

So, resuming, if the transformer is burnt, I'll only be able to fix it by taking it to a professional to replace it. That's it?

i think his implication was that if the transformer is burnt, it wil be way too expensive to fix economically. it is the most expensive part in the amp (that amp anyway).

i suppose if it was your great grandfathers fender frontman 15 it might have some sentimental value.
Yes, I was implying that it's most expensive piece and that also it could be fried but not look like it. And you need special tools to test a transformer. I would say that if you were inclined to learning on this and you replaced all of the fried components you found but it doesn't work you could probably do some research and find out what transformer it is and maybe score a cheap(er) one on ebay.
http://www.mouser.com/Power/Transformers/_/N-5gc5?P=1yzsn9dZ1z0wd7dZ1yzxcglZ1z0jzidZ1z0j7oyZ1yzvmztZ1yzug3hZ1yzuxsiZ1yzskf3Z1z0wcvbZ1z0jllxZ1z0j5qxZ1z0wd2dZ1yzsn8rZ1yzsn7rZ1yzxcgnZ1z0wctt
Do you know what current the secondary needs? 30 dollars isn't too bad.. You may need a new fuses and/or electrolytic caps if they were fed too much voltage.
Quote by blandguitar
http://www.mouser.com/Power/Transformers/_/N-5gc5?P=1yzsn9dZ1z0wd7dZ1yzxcglZ1z0jzidZ1z0j7oyZ1yzvmztZ1yzug3hZ1yzuxsiZ1yzskf3Z1z0wcvbZ1z0jllxZ1z0j5qxZ1z0wd2dZ1yzsn8rZ1yzsn7rZ1yzxcgnZ1z0wctt
Do you know what current the secondary needs? 30 dollars isn't too bad.. You may need a new fuses and/or electrolytic caps if they were fed too much voltage.

Nope, the fuse and the electrolytc cap are just fine. I've done some research over here and a transformer is up to R$ 90, and that's about US$ 50, so I guess it's not THAT expensive...

Quote by inkandlead
Yes, I was implying that it's most expensive piece and that also it could be fried but not look like it. And you need special tools to test a transformer. I would say that if you were inclined to learning on this and you replaced all of the fried components you found but it doesn't work you could probably do some research and find out what transformer it is and maybe score a cheap(er) one on ebay.

Well, by special tools you mean something like a voltmeter?
Quote by Matterazi
Nope, the fuse and the electrolytc cap are just fine. I've done some research over here and a transformer is up to R$ 90, and that's about US$ 50, so I guess it's not THAT expensive...

Well, by special tools you mean something like a voltmeter?

You'd be lucky to even get $50 for the amp trying to sell it, even if you did fix it. Like others said, it's not worth the cost, just in parts, to fix it. But if you just want practice, then by all means.
To my knowledge there are specialized tools for checking the operation of a transformer. Not just a volt meter. Maybe not specialized but I'd assume at least an oscilloscope.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It will cost more to fix than buying a better amp. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

+1 just play without an amp for a bit until you get the money for the Cube you might want to look at some of the other modeling amps before you buy.

The Peavy Vypyr 30 and Vox Valvetronix VT40+ are in your price range

IMHO the Vox VT40+ sounds less digital than the Peavy Vypyr 30.

Couldn't say about the Roland Cube 40.

The only Roland cube I've ever played was the 15 and I was less than impressed with it.

IMHO do some comparison shopping of the other modeling amps in your price range before you actually buy.

It sounds like this is going to a major purchase for you don't rush into it make sure the new amp you get is the one you really want.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
+1 just play without an amp for a bit until you get the money for the Cube you might want to look at some of the other modeling amps before you buy.

The Peavy Vypyr 30 and Vox Valvetronix VT40+ are in your price range

IMHO the Vox VT40+ sounds less digital than the Peavy Vypyr 30.

Couldn't say about the Roland Cube 40.

The only Roland cube I've ever played was the 15 and I was less than impressed with it.

IMHO do some comparison shopping of the other modeling amps in your price range before you actually buy.

It sounds like this is going to a major purchase for you don't rush into it make sure the new amp you get is the one you really want.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Vypyr too. I'll check out the Vox one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5H6hk8yA-s

I've been wondering about the Roland because of this video, and because it's quite accessible here in Brazil. If I want a Vypyr, i'll have to import it.

----
Quote by inkanlead
To my knowledge there are specialized tools for checking the operation of a transformer. Not just a volt meter. Maybe not specialized but I'd assume at least an oscilloscope.

Dammit

----
Quote by ethan_hanus
You'd be lucky to even get $50 for the amp trying to sell it, even if you did fix it. Like others said, it's not worth the cost, just in parts, to fix it. But if you just want practice, then by all means.

The most sad part of it is to practice unplugged...