I am unsure about this. I buy my all my amps, pedals etc...used. But for my next guitar I feel like going new. I just feel different about buying guitars vs amps. I know that buying used saves you a lot of cash, but when it comes to guitars I fell like when you buy it used, it isn't really "your" guitar. Someone else has played it. I want my guitar to live its whole life in only my hands. ANyone else feel the same?
Nope. I buy all my stuff used unless I can't find something, it saves you money and if you're buying good gear chances are it's been looked after. If you buy one new its been messed around with by about a million guitar store noodles anyway.

Although personally I'm not really too concerned with sentimentality and only have a couple of things I wouldn't sell if someone offered me something reasonable - those being one of my guitars and an amp, both of which I bought used.

Each to their own I guess.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
I try to buy as many new items as I can unless it is something that you can't find new or it is pretty rare. Amps I try to always get new due to my lack of trust in previous owners.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Go used for sure. Just make sure you look around and not jump on something right away. If you wait things out sometimes you can find pretty sick deals.
-My Gear-

Ltd EC-1000 Cherry Red Finish
Schecter 006 Elite Deluxe w/SD Blk'outs

Epiphone Acoustic Dove

Line6 Pod HD400

Bugera 333 Head

Mesa 2x12 w/v30's

-Youtube Channel-

When I discovered the wonder of the used market, I stopped buying new. My pedals, however, were an exception, since buying new with a coupon I had was considerably less than buying each individual pedal used on ebay/craigslist. Otherwise, though, I go used to save money.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
your playing is what makes the guitar "yours". my main guitar is an 88 Strat and i know it has had at least 2 owners prior to me. both let the guitar go because it wasn't the "one"for them. i plan on keeping that guitar til i can't play anymore, why because it is the "one" for me. i've owned more guitars than i can remember over the years both new and used, if the guitar is right for you then it doesn't matter.
I play every single one... new or old, if it feels good/sounds good and I want it.. I buy it.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer 'rock music' that has electric guitars.
def used.....new seems like such a rip-off....i can get a guitar in like new condition for almost half the price. of a new one..

and no, i actually like when a guitar has a history...like if it was from the 80s or something and has been played for years....

the only thing, is im carefull when buying used amps and pedals; you never know how well they work..

the only thing im pretty sketched out about buying used are pickups
i like new but more often than not buy used. I have only bought my jaguar new, everything else i got used at a substantial discount. I AM buying my tube amp new... just want to be the only owner of it since it is a substantial investment to me.
Well, I don't go for items that are overtly used/abused with little or no life left in them. Slightly used or new is the way to go. For example, I got a nice ESP LTD Viper 300M with a hardcase for $600. According to the guy I got it from, he got it new for $750 and he only played twice. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
I like prog
This should be a poll.

I go used or sometimes B-stock it's a real minor blemish.
If I'm buying a second guitar to use almost as a beater or another guitar to play with it would be used, but otherwise my main guitar has to be new.

Everything else I would buy used.
Quote by W4RP1G
This should be a poll.

I go used or sometimes B-stock it's a real minor blemish.

Yea dude B-stock rules. My friend gets all his stuff from the guitars having like small scratches or a chip out of the back and the they are easy fixers, and he buys them for next to nothing compaired to the original price.
-My Gear-

Ltd EC-1000 Cherry Red Finish
Schecter 006 Elite Deluxe w/SD Blk'outs

Epiphone Acoustic Dove

Line6 Pod HD400

Bugera 333 Head

Mesa 2x12 w/v30's

-Youtube Channel-

Got my hellraiser for $470, sat in a case for 4 years and was sold back to the same shop the dude bought it from. Needless to say i got a brand new $750 guitar for $470. Also my ibanez being an 85 and me only being born in 89 it was used for a solid 12 years b4 it fell into my hands. Bought my amp as a return within Musicians friend 30 day period and got it for $400 i think they go for $600. I buy all my pedals new tho. Im just going to keep buying like new used shit. So much cheaper you just have to wait for the deal.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
i picked up a mint Duesenberg starplayer TV with hard case, all accessories and a spare pickgaurd used for $1,900 (thanks a little to the favorable exchange rate here in korea). It is brand new, i swear it was never played. That is the best used deal i have ever gotten.
I like used equipment that may or may not have a history I usually just make one up lol.
When I go to GC I always play the used guitars over the new ones they always seem to have a life to them that new ones do not.
Amps are one thing that it really doesn't matter. I always look for used ones on eBay but that's only because I have no money and want to save as much as possible
what makes a guitar feel like yours is having set up the way you like it imo.

you usually get a better deal buying used anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
All my electrics have been used guitars, GENERALLY in good condition. This usually saves me about 50% or so off the new price. I'm planning to get my next axe new though, and I guess it has to be. Custom instrument
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Both, I think there are some incredible ebay deals out there, a few years ago I bought an ESP LTD MHB-400 w/ shipping and flight case for $600 AUD. The guitar was less than a year old and retailed for $1900 at the time. But the security of purchasing new is also excellent
Buy used. Buy low and sell high when you want to sell. There's no possible way I'd have the gear I have otherwise.

Why buy a POS $300 guitar new when you can buy a $600-700 guitar for $320? (Story of my H-301). Why buy a $1200 amp when you can pick it up on Craigs List for $450? (Story of my 5150).

I would probably buy some things new if I could, but I'm not at all in the financial situation to do that yet
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Nothing beats a brand new guitar. That's just awesome. However, you should always consider used first. A new Gibson Les Paul Standard here generally go for £1750. I got mine for £890. And, it was practically new. The shop dropped it and split the headstock. They fixed it up real nice and you can't see it was there really. So I saved quite a few hundred pounds. And it plays like nothing I've ever played before.
I mix it up. Recently the things I've bought have all been new because I bought them on some really good finance arrangements.

The problem with buying used is that you have to turn up to a strangers house with a shitload of cash. It's unsafe and a big immediate financial hit.
Quote by 3reach
I am unsure about this. I buy my all my amps, pedals etc...used. But for my next guitar I feel like going new. I just feel different about buying guitars vs amps. I know that buying used saves you a lot of cash, but when it comes to guitars I fell like when you buy it used, it isn't really "your" guitar. Someone else has played it. I want my guitar to live its whole life in only my hands. ANyone else feel the same?

i prefer my shit to have been rocked for about a decade before i buy it.

just to make sure it's borked in.

but once i pay for something, i consider it mine.

and yea, i saved a lot of cash that way.

except the 60s tribute studio goldtop. i opened that box myself, only to find all kinds of flaws lol. i call them "birthmarks". and they make my guitar unique.

if you know what to look for and how to inspect a guitar, buying used isn't a risky thing.

plus i generally buy my high end stuff from a friend, just so i can laugh at him down the road and ask "why the hell did you let that go?"

his answer is usually, "i don't know".

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2011,
i also buy used equipment but now i am thinking that if somebody buys a guitar or somerhing used and it brokes down there is no waranty unlike purchased!
so if someone wants to buy some used equipment he has to be carefull!!