Page 1 of 2
Hello guitarists!

So, I have a piece of crap, old, useless, bad sounding Squier Strat:

So, I'm going to start a little customization challenge. The only thing is, I'll be doing the hard part of this challenge. So, I may as well start listing the details.

The Ultimate Customization

What?
UG users suggest how they want my guitar customized. For example, if they want an eagle carved into it, I'll carve an eagle into it. It's called the ultimate customization, because I'm going to try to incorporate EVERY SINGLE suggestion into this guitar.

When?
However long it takes for the UG community to be satisfied.

How?
Using my limited knowledge and small supply of tools, and hopefully some donations from the generous, I'll do my best to etch every single suggestion onto this guitar.

Why?
This guitar was the first guitar I ever had. Now, compared to my others, it's a useless piece of wood and metal. So, I have no worries if I mess up or not.

Etc, etc...
In short: You suggest something for this guitar, I'll make it happen. I'll incorporate ALL suggestions (that aren't stupid) into this guitar.

Well, start suggesting, you guys. I'll try to use whatever I have to hopefully make this an ultimate guitar! Be sure to check out the new blog occasionally!:

http://theultimatecustomization.blogspot.com/

Donate?
If you are feeling generous, feel free to donate towards The Ultimate Customization. All funds donated through the following link will be used towards tools and supplies to aid towards the customization. Click here if you would like to donate.
Last edited by LYING PACKAGE at Aug 1, 2011,
You have to include some kind of circuit on the guitar, it can be as simple as a boost circuit, or you cant try to do what i failed to some months ago and include a fuzz factory pedal inside it xD kinda like matt bellamy from muse has.

EDIT: Also(and im a guy that started many projects that didnt finish, so i know what im talking about xD) start out with small things, like change the pickguard and put some metal knobs in it, perhaps chrome, to match the hardware you have
Last edited by tntero at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by tntero
EDIT: Also(and im a guy that started many projects that didnt finish, so i know what im talking about xD) start out with small things, like change the pickguard and put some metal knobs in it, perhaps chrome, to match the hardware you have

Thank you for the advice. This is one project I plan on completing. I plan to work on the visual aspect of the guitar first. Another reason why I'm doing this entire "customization" thing is because the wires on the inside are frayed. I will replace the entire electrical aspect of the guitar afterwards.
put a steve vai grip on it
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Put a big snake decor from bottom of neck up to the headstock, with like sowrds coming out of it and blood...
turn it into a p90/h, inlay something on the top and the fb, flame maple veneer, charcoal burst, gold harware, gold fretjob, ebony fretboard...
Again, please remember that stupid suggestions will be ignored. Suggestion classified as stupid are ones that:

-Would cost large amounts of money.
-Require the guitar to be brought to a professional.
-Promote certain religions.
-Require a tool/object that is virtually unobtainable.
-Renders the guitar even more useless than it is already.
-Obviously cannot be done, due to extreme skill required.
is my idea stupid?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

ok good, i thought the cutting might be a hassle
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

put a wilkinson VS100 on it.

If possible refret using jumbo frets/frets of your choice. Gold fret wire?

Put a fuzz pedal in it.

Diamond Plate pickguard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Scallop?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I wouldn't do the grip on it, but I would like to see maybe a bit of relic-ing with a cigarette burn on the body some where.
super edit:

1. graph-tech acoustic-phonic system.
2. brass or graph-tech nut.
3. scalloping fretboard
4. custom pickgaurd which has p90-rails pu-p90 configuration. that uses killswitches to turn on and off all 3 pickups (for 7 combinations not 5).
5. bigger trem block (will help with sustain and tone)
6. good tuners.
7. round out the sides more.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 1, 2011,
put a bass pickup in. some guy in EG was gonna try it awhile ago. never went through with it. disappointment.
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
i always thought a TOM saddle piece in the middle, and then the tailpiece set another partial scale length behind it with a pickup on the rear side would be sweet! itd be tough, and you might need saddles at the rear too to adjust the "other" intonation, but how rad would that be!maybe stupid. and not enough room on your strat. just thinking out loud. ill be watching this, its gonna get rowdy i can tell
Swap out that trem for a Bigsby, Ry Cooder style, and put 3 humbuckers in there.
Cut out the cut away so it's really deep for easier fret access. Like the Rusty cooley sig.
Also, use and arcade button for a killswitch.
HSH strat. Its the only way. And a bright orange finish.
Quote by Kyleisthename
Cut out the cut away so it's really deep for easier fret access. Like the Rusty cooley sig.
Also, use and arcade button for a killswitch.

I can't cut out the cut away due to its close proximity to a pick up.
Kahler.
Integrated effects?
Tung Oil the neck
H-H pickguard
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
you should paint it like clapton's psychadelic SG
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Umm... can anybody say dials that go to 11?
My one and only suggestion for any and all builds!
Quote by bonkom
Umm... can anybody say dials that go to 11?
My one and only suggestion for any and all builds!

amp knobs look nice
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

You should put all the switches you can think of on it, such as a phase reverser and killswitch for each pickup... it would be awesome I also think a HS configuration would be cool...

Edit: you could also put more frets between all the frets so you can play in quarter tones...
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Aug 3, 2011,
how about a floyd rose?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Obvious suggestion is a fret leveling, since I'm sure it could use one.

And I know it's been overdone, but I have to suggest it, it's a sweet mod. Frankenstrat.
Stop it with the stupid suggestions.

Dont scallop if its too hard. But replacing the regular frets for XJ's would be nice.
Another thing you can do is grab a pair of used EMG's or something and stick them in. I doubt thats good wood, actives will mask the woods tone nicely.

Another thing would be LED''s on the neck, instead of regular mother o pearl markers. Shouldnt be too hard to do. Wire them to run off a second 9V battery or something.
Locking tuners would also be good. Get intonation checked too.

A built in boost circuit is also cool. Set it to turn on and off with a toggle near the cutaway?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Stop it with the stupid suggestions.

Another thing would be LED''s on the neck

LED inlays are tough to do with decent skills on a neck build from the ground up. With an already finished neck and no previous experience, it's totally unreasonable to suggest, especially since it's clear you have no idea how to do it. Look at how often people suggest it - every week we've got a thread saying "OmGz I hav teh best idea!!1! LeD FrEtZ!" but how many times have you actually seen it finished or even attempted with any competence? Very few, and only by builders who know what they're doing.
Quote by Roc8995

LED inlays are tough to do with decent skills on a neck build from the ground up. With an already finished neck and no previous experience, it's totally unreasonable to suggest, especially since it's clear you have no idea how to do it. Look at how often people suggest it - every week we've got a thread saying "OmGz I hav teh best idea!!1! LeD FrEtZ!" but how many times have you actually seen it finished or even attempted with any competence? Very few, and only by builders who know what they're doing.

Its that hard to do?
Quote by LYING PACKAGE
Hello guitarists!

So, I have a piece of crap, old, useless, bad sounding Squier Strat:

First, make it playable with a proper set-up. Otherwise, everything will be just cosmetic. Start with intonation, replace the nut, electronics, bridge and saddles, do a fret dress.
Make the body fuzzy by glueing fake fur onto the body of the guitar except the pickguard to get something like this:
+1 to furry... Just out of interest, what's that ^ band called?

Actives would be a bad idea, especially in a strat... but some decent new pickups and hardware are probably the best mod you could do.
Page 1 of 2