Hello everyone, after a fair enough departure and trade with my MIM Strat, I've gotten my hands on this not-so-common guitar:

This is an Ibanez EX 3700, Transparent Turquoise finish, made in Korea of 1993.
Despite being 18 years old, it looks almost brand new, despite one hairline finish crack, and a chipped pickup ring.
It has a basswood body, with flamed maple veneers, cream full body and maple fretboard binding.
This guitar has great quality, and the licensed floyd rose Ibanez Lo-TRS Trem is a Takeuchi made in Japan tremolo.
It plays very smoothly, including higher fret reach with the all access neck joint.
It sounds very decent with it's stock pickups, the only complaint is a volume drop in hum cancelling positions 2 and 4, which I will have to live with because the single coil can't be too high due to my pick tapping it while playing.
The modifications I've done to it were cleaning the pots, since they were a bit scratchy, and I used 50's wiring with a .022 cap.
My last dilemma is figuring out how to install Schaller straplocks, because the stock screws are too big, and the Schaller screws are too small...
But over all, this is what I would call a poor man's Prestige.
Cusp of Magic
You can always use the toothpick + glue trick for the strap locks, or you can always fill in the hole and re-do it. Also happy NGD.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
srry...some of us have jobs...

HNGD man!...Most of the older Ibby's are great! I havent had the chance to play one from Korea yet (I consider those the Ibanez eqivilent of the Japanese made strats..) But I do have an original '77 Ibby...great guitars man!...How does she play?? What pickups are in her?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
srry...some of us have jobs...

HNGD man!...Most of the older Ibby's are great! I havent had the chance to play one from Korea yet (I consider those the Ibanez eqivilent of the Japanese made strats..) But I do have an original '77 Ibby...great guitars man!...How does she play?? What pickups are in her?

It plays phenomenal, honestly.
There's not one flaw in this guitar's quality.
And the pickups are stock, it's all original.
Which, I know people don't like Ibanez pickups, but this is an older one, so they're different from most of today's, I assume.
They sound great to me, they have a crisp clean chime and a surprisingly good overdriven sound, similar to 80's EVH kind of tone.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Lovecannon
You can always use the toothpick + glue trick for the strap locks, or you can always fill in the hole and re-do it. Also happy NGD.

+1
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
what can i say, it's quite blue. HNGD! it just screams 80's spandex pants and long curly hair to me whahaha
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
It plays phenomenal, honestly.
There's not one flaw in this guitar's quality.
And the pickups are stock, it's all original.
Which, I know people don't like Ibanez pickups, but this is an older one, so they're different from most of today's, I assume.
They sound great to me, they have a crisp clean chime and a surprisingly good overdriven sound, similar to 80's EVH kind of tone.

I have some that lots of people love: Super 70's.

Sorta like collectors blues p-ups..but they're great for just about anything...seriously, if you see a set floating around, pick them up and try em out..you wont be sorry....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by wolvenrick
what can i say, it's quite blue. HNGD! it just screams 80's spandex pants and long curly hair to me whahaha

That's the thing, I love the 80's guitar look and sound.
And honestly, I'm not sure why it turned out blue, must be the sun, but the guitar is normally green.
Must be bipolar... :p
Cusp of Magic
quick question - you mentioned the drop in volume at 2 and 4. does 3 seem low as well?
reason i ask is because when i wired my HSH up, i accidentally put the middle out of phase. so 2 and 4 are more quiet, and a bit quacky and thin, but position 3 is only the single coil, so its normal and sounds just as loud.

just curious if over 18 years someone rewired or replaced the middle pickup and wired it out of phase instead of in phase on accident or on purpose. if it IS in fact because its low, than setting 3 would be quiet too
Well, the guitar's wiring is all stock, and positions 2 and 4 are hum cancelling, which I believe each of the humbuckers have the extra wire wired to the switch so that only one of the coils in the humbucker is active to cancel out the hum with the single coil.
The single coil alone is louder than positions 2 and 4, so I'm not quite sure, maybe if I adjusted the pole pieces on the active coil in each humbucker, it wouldn't have the volume drop...
Cusp of Magic
i guess an easy way to tell is turn it to position 2 or 4, on clean, does it sound like butt? its probably out of phase

no but idk, strats are wired so that 2 and 4 are hum cancelling as well, but they never seemed quieter to me. i guess if it bothers you you can dig into it, if not, then HNGD! lol
It actually sounds really nice, kinda single coil like, and trebley in 2 and 4.
And another thing I forgot to mention off topic, this bridge can flutter like crazy, I assume that's a good thing, right?
Cusp of Magic
you may be able to use the original screws with the shallers. you may have to file the heads a bit so they seat inside the shaller pegs properly. i've done it that way on guitars that i don't want to mess with different sized screws etc.

congrats on a sweet looking guitar.

and i agree, older ibanez guitars have nicer sounding pups than the new ones.
I love the EX series. These are far better then the RG series, or anything Ibanez has released recently.

HNGD!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
I agree, the EX series has surprisingly good quality compared the lower end Ibanez today, but that's because they're made in Korea, and also the floyd rose is made in Japan.

But on another note, the strap lock problem is fixed.
I drilled the holes of the pegs larger, and filed the heads of the stock screws.
The only downside is that my straplocks are chrome, oh well.
The only possible thing that would make this guitar more awesome soundwise/aesthetically is if I installed a matching set of zebra colored Seymour Duncans, and maybe a creme colored single coil.
But that would be a while, due to expenses lol.
Cusp of Magic