Page 1 of 2
A few years ago, I recall having a weekly mixtape created by members for everybody to listen to. Muxtape was used but the site got closed down for legal reasons if I remember correctly. Anyway, I am suggesting that we try and bring this back. I (or a mod or whoever wants to do this) can start making a signup list if anybody else agrees and wants to do one/see this brought back.

We'd probably use http://8tracks.com/ cause I don't know of any place else. Whoevers week it is creates a mixtape (uploading), creates a thread linking to it, and has it stickied by a mod for a week. Or users can send their link to a mod and have him create the stickied thread. Whatever works for you all.

so who wants to do this/thinks it's a stupid idea/doesn't give a shit?

SIGNUP LIST:
August 7th - bradulator
August 14th - wizards?
August 21st - jiminizzle
August 28th - TheReverend724
September 4th - uhh_me?
September 11th - due_07
September 18th - Joshua1207
September 25th - jimmy_neutron
October 2nd - eazy-c
October 9th - UncleRemus
October 16th - turncoat60%

ALTERNATE:
BK202
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Aug 4, 2011,
i'm for it.

my problem with 8tracks is that they randomize the track order when you go to play a mix, or at least they did that the last time i used it. i think that unexpected transitions and flow and all that nonsense are the exciting parts of mix making.
Quote by uhh_me?
i'm for it.

my problem with 8tracks is that they randomize the track order when you go to play a mix, or at least they did that the last time i used it. i think that unexpected transitions and flow and all that nonsense are the exciting parts of mix making.

I did a little looking around the site and how it works is that it randomizes the order of the playlist the second time someone listens to it. So there are two ways to remedy it: One, we include a track listing (Artist, song, and album(because of multiple versions of tracks)) or Two, we suggest that whoever listens to it writes the tracks down in order while they listen to it.

It's not too difficult of a fix, not enough to put doing this at risk.
That's never happened with me, but I think I have heard of people having that problem

Weird

Anyway, if you guys wanna follow me on 8tracks, here's my page

http://8tracks.com/thereverend724
Woohoo, interest. If it does randomize the songs (I have no idea) then we can make a list or something. Or find a better site, if there is one.

I'll edit my post and consider your interest as you signing up.
I might be interested.
It seems like you have to upload every track for the mixtape on the site? This isn't supposed to be full of original songs from us, is it?
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Joshua1207
I might be interested.
It seems like you have to upload every track for the mixtape on the site? This isn't supposed to be full of original songs from us, is it?

Nah, it's just any alternative/indie playlist. We can start it next Sunday aye?
Quote by bradulator

Alright, I'll be in then. I may add some hip-hop/rap too if that is okay :P I won't add too much though, since this is the indie/alternative forum.
Quote by bradulator

Sure, are you going first? Are there any parameters or stipulations on the mix? Is it a mood mix, or just a bunch of songs that fit together really well?
Quote by Joshua1207
Alright, I'll be in then. I may add some hip-hop/rap too if that is okay :P I won't add too much though, since this is the indie/alternative forum.

No problemo.

Quote by wizards?
Sure, are you going first? Are there any parameters or stipulations on the mix? Is it a mood mix, or just a bunch of songs that fit together really well?

yeah. I say it's whatever you'd like it to be. Just make a mixtape and then show it off to us. It should probably be predominately alternative/indie. But the good thing about that is that alternative definitely includes a shitload of variety. Hip hop included. Basically just anything you think people that visit the Alternative/Indie forums would enjoy/should listen to. Old, new, whatever.

EDIT:

"Our license requires randomized playback the 2nd time a person listens to your mix."

So as long as you only listen to it once, you shouldn't mess anything up.
Last edited by bradulator at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by bradulator
EDIT:

"Our license requires randomized playback the 2nd time a person listens to your mix."

So as long as you only listen to it once, you shouldn't mess anything up.

Or as long as we list all the songs in the mixtape so people can use mediaf... I mean legally purchase the music and correctly assemble it so they can listen to it as much as they want.
Quote by Joshua1207
So, you will go first then? And then how will we decide who goes next?

I've just put it by whose posted with interest in this thread, so i'll keep doing that I guess unless ya'll think that's stupid.

And you could put the tracks list in your post with the link just in case yeah.

I think we should do this on real cassettes.

But I'm down for this either way.

WE DO THIS
There was real mixtape cassettes floating around here at one point. I seem to remember k-lizzle and Bmm586 (?) having them?

Im also very much up for this.
i don't think that we ever got around to doing an actual cassette exchange. something about too many people not having tape decks or ones that worked.

we did a cd mix exchange that went pretty well.
CD exchange would be cool. So would a tape deck.
Stick me down for this.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I'm in
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

That can be arranged. I'll PM you when the time comes. List updated.
I already (kind of) have a theme planned for my mix assuming I can find the right songs that flow together for it. IF ANYONE STEALS MY THEME I WILL HIT

Also, are we going to do just 8 songs for the mix, or no limits on the amount of songs? I think we should have song kind of time limit or something so people actually listen to the full mixes.
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Aug 4, 2011,
Sweeeeet. 8 songs is the limit on that thing isn't it? I think that's a sufficient amount of tracks for a playlist.
Quote by bradulator
Sweeeeet. 8 songs is the limit on that thing isn't it? I think that's a sufficient amount of tracks for a playlist.

On 8tracks? No, that's the minimum for a playlist. I've seen playlists with upwards of forty songs, but who's going to sit around and listen to the entire thing?

Oh and I'm signed up for August 14th, do I post a thread in here with a link to the 8tracks site? Is there some kind of layout you want for the thread?
i'm more than willing to sticky each thread if we think that would be the best way to go.
Quote by wizards?
On 8tracks? No, that's the minimum for a playlist. I've seen playlists with upwards of forty songs, but who's going to sit around and listen to the entire thing?

Oh and I'm signed up for August 14th, do I post a thread in here with a link to the 8tracks site? Is there some kind of layout you want for the thread?

Alright then. I think 12 tracks max. But use your own judgement I suppose. Long enough to keep interest, short enough to not lose interest. So people can listen to it in one sitting without getting tired of it.

And just post a thread saying "Alt/Indie Mixtape: wizards?" or something like that. Include the link to your playlist and perhaps a track list.

i'm more than willing to sticky each thread if we think that would be the best way to go.

yeah, I think it would be easiest.
Oh shit maybe I should do mine
Page 1 of 2