Poll: Book smarts or street smarts?
Poll Options
View poll results: Book smarts or street smarts?
Book Smarts
29 43%
Street Smarts
39 57%
Voters: 68.
Page 1 of 2
When it really comes down to it, which is more important? And no, you're not allowed to combine the two.

And if you want to debate about what street smarts is, it's basically common sense and getting along with others, and understanding people. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=street%20smarts

While book smarts is obvious. Stuff you learn in school.
Last edited by RPGoof at Aug 1, 2011,
You can't put "street smarts" on your Resume, just sayin'.
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
Quote by WastedxYears
You can't put "street smarts" on your Resume, just sayin'.

I'm totally going to put "Book smart" on my resume and give it to some employer.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
I'm totally going to put "Book smart" on my resume and give it to some employer.

jokes on you, ill put both.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
In the words of the Crabman "street smart is what dumb people call themselves to feel better about being dumb"
Originally Posted by JayLacelle
because UGers are smarter than the average human being
Quote by lushacrous

A degree is considered "book smarts" right?

So yes, if you have a degree, then that will help you get employed.
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
jokes on you, ill put both.

I'm going to do that too, and put a link to your UG profile as one of my references.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
I'm going to do that too, and put a link to your UG profile as one of my references.

and ill refer you as well.

damn we are set.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by slownightsolong
In the words of the Crabman "street smart is what dumb people call themselves to feel better about being dumb"

+1 Gabizillion

Besides,what IS street smart? knowing where to shop for drugs without getting arrested?
We just had this thread, and I already complained about nothing there.

All I will say here is that both are important, but I think street smart is better because solving problems is something I think shows more intelligence than memorising information. I don't know anything about this topic though.
Quote by VillainousLatin
+1 Gabizillion

Besides,what IS street smart? knowing where to shop for drugs without getting arrested?

Knowing which store sells the cheapest milk.
Sail upon the open skies
I hate the terms. I made a post about them in a different thread a few days ago.

Quote by due 07
Sort of related -- I think the term 'street-smart' is ridiculous. It's only ever used by dumb people to feign intelligence or marginalize actual intelligence. It's hard to explain, but generally 'book-smart' is actually being smart, whereas 'street-smart' is "common sense". And evidence points to common sense not actually existing.
According to urban dictionary, "street smarts" are pretty much everything aside from stuff learned in a book. I call bs there's a difference between street smarts and being a social person (having cop on for those who'll understand me when i say that)
doesnt street smart mean youre clever and have good common sense?

if thats the case i'd be "street" smart...ive always used logic and common sense to learn and solve problems as opposed to burying myself in a book without thinking and just doing what it says..

shouldnt really be called "street" smart cus now all of you are imagining ghetto people who are ignorant...

thinking on your own, using common sense, creativity and logic is far superior than mindlessly following guidelines set by a book

...and thats not just for school or work, but in all areas of life including playing music.

but thats just my view on it
Quote by due 07
I hate the terms. I made a post about them in a different thread a few days ago.

To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what the terms mean. I just posted my opinion based on how I've heard them used.

I'm often called stupid for being book smart but not being able to apply my knowledge to problem solving (which I guess is street smart).

I don't even have any knowledge.
Book smarts is necessary for landing a proper job.

Street smarts is more necessary for mostly anything else that doesn't suck. Just ask any movie star/director/big time musician/that guy catch me if you can is based on.
people who say "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart" are really just dumb in general
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Everybody with book smarts will die when the crap hits the fan for lack of common sense knowlage of how to survive...everyone with street smarts, mainly the people in the swamps of Louisiana and in general people of the country, will survive.

Book smarts don't help any when you can't apply them to save your life.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
people who say "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart" are really just dumb in general

Well of course, if they're one of the two extremes.

If you had to pick one or the other, you'd have the choice of being either an aspie loser or a dumb hoodlum.
What if i read a book about how to survive when it hits the fan?
U Mad?

Damn! This was meant for Ethan Hanus
Quote by ethan_hanus
Everybody with book smarts will die when the crap hits the fan for lack of common sense knowlage of how to survive...everyone with street smarts, mainly the people in the swamps of Louisiana and in general people of the country, will survive.

blah blah blah. yeah, cause you can only have one of the two.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
You can't just say things; I need proof.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Good enough for me!
Quote by ethan_hanus

That's just plain stupid,being book smart doesn't mean you are dumb.... wtf,it's not like being book smart automatically makes you a weak, asthmatic,fat lard that doesn't know how to fend for him self....
Quote by Lateralus13
Street smarts never took us to the moon

moon smarts never took us to the street

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
moon smarts never took us to the street

Smart moons never street us to the took
Quote by Lateralus13
Street smarts never took us to the moon

What good did that do for anyone again?
Quote by ethan_hanus

also, just because you're an illiterate hillbilly doesn't mean you're going to survive when "the shit hits the fan"

i vote you'd be among the 1st to go
I always thought "street smarts" mostly referred to social skills, in which case both "smarts" are incredibly important.
Quote by VillainousLatin
That's just plain stupid,being book smart doesn't mean you are dumb.... wtf,it's not like being book smart automatically makes you a weak, asthmatic,fat lard that doesn't know how to fend for him self....

Actually, it does, don't even get me started. Can you gut a fish? Deer? Can you fish? Can you make a bow and arrow from the surrounding landscape? Do you know what is edible around you, and what is not? Do you know how to load, dissemble, reassemble fire, reload, and clean a firearm? Know how to sharpen a knife with a stone? Know what flint looks like? Know how to make a fire without matches or lighter? Know how to maintain a car? ect. I could go on all day.

Book smart people lack common sense knowledge of how to figure out basic things, they take it all for granted, like most people do. Once the supermarkets run out of groceries they will die because they don't know how to gather or get food else ware, our society has become completely dependent on services, and nobody knows how to take care of themselves and their family without all the luxuries we enjoy.

Not saying it's true for all people, but the majority of people who think they are smart because they have a PHD in whatever or a Masters in whatever are kidding themselves. The people who are smart are the ones who know how to survive, and take care of themselves without any assistance of modern technology.

You can say whatever you want, I'd like you to prove me wrong.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I wasn't being serious.

And that site needs work, holy damn.

Yeah it does. Could have found better, but I'm lazy today.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Actually, it does, don't even get me started. Can you gut a fish? Deer? Can you fish? Can you make a bow and arrow from the surrounding landscape? Do you know what is edible around you, and what is not? Do you know how to load, dissemble, reassemble fire, reload, and clean a firearm? Know how to sharpen a knife with a stone? Know what flint looks like? Know how to make a fire without matches or lighter? Know how to maintain a car? ect. I could go on all day.

Book smart people lack common sense knowledge of how to figure out basic things, they take it all for granted, like most people do. Once the supermarkets run out of groceries they will die because they don't know how to gather or get food else ware, our society has become completely dependent on services, and nobody knows how to take care of themselves and their family without all the luxuries we enjoy.

Not saying it's true for all people, but the majority of people who think they are smart because they have a PHD in whatever or a Masters in whatever are kidding themselves. The people who are smart are the ones who know how to survive, and take care of themselves without any assistance of modern technology.

You can say whatever you want, I'd like you to prove me wrong.

you really are a sad, delusional person
Street
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Page 1 of 2