Hey everyone, I'm pretty much new to everything. I know how to more or less read and play tabs, though I do need help on something. Looking at some of these tabs i've run into situations that confuse me. For instance a song's tab may have a section like this:

7---
-----
-----
6----
-----
-----

I've always wondered how I am supposed to hit these strings without strumming the ones in between. I thought muting them by applying a little pressure on the strings may be the trick but that never ends up sounding right. How do you play this or any like sections of a tab?(Song in example is Stairway to Heaven which has many of these instances) Help would be much appreciated, thanks!
If I'm using a pick, I'll just run it as

--7--
--x--
--x--
--6--
------
------

Even if its not correctly played, if your playing at the normally speed, the mutes are generally unnoticeable.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Stairway is generally finger picked, using thumb and 3rd finger on this part to pluck both notes (on right hand obviously), at least for the first section that u are talking about. Alternately if you are using a pick you could pick the bass note (6) but would still need to use a finger to get the high note (7)....OR just strum with mutes as suggested above.

Typical finger position diagram:

e -------5--7------7--8-___3rd finger
B -----5-------5--------___2nd finger
G ---5-----------5------___1st finger
D -7--------6---------5-___Thumb
-------------^pluck---^pluck (using thumb & 3rd finger

and so on. Sorry for the poor formating. Hope this makes sense.
Last edited by mullet_318 at Aug 3, 2011,