This is the product im talking about. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-ux1-with-pod-farm/250003000000000

What are your guy's experience with it? It looks like the best thing to me for under $200.

I need an all in one package that is simple and straightforward.

It has everything I need to record vocals and guitar, I can add in drums later with software.

Are there any problems with this, besides that it is known for limited post production flexibility? ( You can't add certain effects after recording like reverb cause it doesnt use plug ins. )

I know all the good stuff about this thing, I wanna hear the bad, tell me the nitty gritty stuff. ( I dont think there is anything bad about this )

Also, I know some people hate on Line 6's tones, but they work fine for me, I'm not releasing a Double Platinum album anytime soon. Also, Im a minimalist when it comes to post production, so i think that even though it has limited Mixing/Production capability, it is fine.

Lemme know what you think! I will take your thoughts to heart! ( I'm a poor college student, so purchases of $150 are a lot to me! )
I use it and I've never encountered a single problem with it.

I also don't know what you mean with limited post production flexibility? If you're recording into the DAW, that's all you're going to need.
The lack of MIDI is a bummer but its a good starter interface. With Podfarm I get 0 latency which is awesome. Its pretty much idiot proof (not implying you're an idiot), which makes setting it up easy. There's better stuff out there, for a similar price you can definitely get an interface with midi, but the ux1 is still really solid, especially if you'll use podfarm.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
The lack of MIDI is a bummer but its a good starter interface. With Podfarm I get 0 latency which is awesome. Its pretty much idiot proof (not implying you're an idiot), which makes setting it up easy. There's better stuff out there, for a similar price you can definitely get an interface with midi, but the ux1 is still really solid, especially if you'll use podfarm.

Seeing as MIDI can be transferred by USB I don't really see the big problem as most midi interfaces I have owned or used have USB ports.

The reality is in that price range nothing really sticks out. They are all pretty same in the terms of quality. I have owned line 6, m-audio, and lexicon interfaces in that price range and they weren't that different, the lexicon had midi. The line 6 is noisy wants you hit about 75% volume.
I literally have no idea what you're talking about when you're talking about post-production flexibility. Obviously there's no post-production because you haven't even gone through a DAW yet...
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
I believe he is referring to the DAW that comes with the port called Riffworks. Having bought one of Line 6's tone ports myself, I can say that I've never had any problems with the actual device. The trial versions of the programs that it comes with is a pain in the ass to deal with, however. Riffworks is terrible for any post-production stuff. I'd say get the UX1 and use it with something other than Riffworks (Reaper is free, for example).
Quote by FireHawk
Seeing as MIDI can be transferred by USB I don't really see the big problem as most midi interfaces I have owned or used have USB ports.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal, just worth mentioning, and considering most interfaces in that price range have midi, it's more disappointing.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
The unit left more to be desired. Although I had the UX2 instead. ended up returning it. I've noticed the inputs end up brightening/coloring the signal to my ears. If you're going for a mobile device at least shoot for something that can accompany some mics and additional instrument inputs. Forcusrite make some nifty items and I've been pleased with their performance.

I largely do NOT use any paid suite of amp simulation anymore. If I can't accomplish what I want with the already large free base of plugins from devs the likes of lepou or onqel, then I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Some results from my DI tones if you'd like to hear an example, from a recent cover I did (I'm still an amateur.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNGqHVDEJo
Last edited by Night at Aug 2, 2011,
What kind of music are you planning on recording?
It's a bit hard to get a proper metal tone, like for death metal and such.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I'd beg to differ about getting a metal tone out of it.

OP: If you want to check out some of the tones, the vast majority of the covers on my profile were done through the ux1. The only thing I'd look out for is that it has no phantom power. As you mentioned you might be doing vocals, it might be an issue.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
OP here:

Reincarnator, your covers are great, those are some of the tones I was looking for. There is a mic jack in the actual hardware, I dont know what you guys are saying about not being able to record vocals? Can someone explain ?

As for MIDI, i havent used it successfully in the past, not having MIDI is ok with me.
a mic jack is not what you need for "better" Mics - you need "Phantom Power" - the UX2 adds that. I have a line 6 GX 1 and it works great for just guitar - but the sound from my FOCUSRITE SAPPHIRE smokes it.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
So, I know the UX1 doesnt have phantom power for mics, but what kind of a problem is that? Is it serious? Does it make a big difference? The UX2 is only $50 more, but if having phantom power with a mic makes that big of a difference, I might get the UX2.

Does anyone have any experience with Phantom Power or not using phantom power ?

Thank you again.
Also, I use a standard $75 Dynamic Microphone for vocals if it matters.

Ive been watching videos of Vocal Tests with the UX1, and it seems fine to me.
I've had this bad boy for awhile and it is pretty good... Everything works on it except on the back where you plug ur usb cord into it, its a little wobbly. But great interface and The Pod Farm software it comes with rocks the house... there is just soooo much to talk abut.
Quote by valdean
What kind of music are you planning on recording?
It's a bit hard to get a proper metal tone, like for death metal and such.

With the metal add on pack POD Farm does metal brilliantly. Definitely worth the extra $50.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by reincarnator
I'd beg to differ about getting a metal tone out of it.

OP: If you want to check out some of the tones, the vast majority of the covers on my profile were done through the ux1. The only thing I'd look out for is that it has no phantom power. As you mentioned you might be doing vocals, it might be an issue.

No offence, but the guitar tones on your profile songs leave a lot to be desired if I'm honest... also appears to be some weird phasey compression thing going on with the high end of all your guitar tracks.

I'm sure you can get good metal tones from the product, but I don't think your tracks are an example of this. I'm only saying this (probably a bit harsh) comment because you called someone out claiming your tone was something special etc. I mean heck, Hollow Ground - Ill Fate on my profile is mostly amp sims for the overall guitar tone, and I'm far from an experienced user of amp sims!

TS: Phantom power is important if you want to use a condenser mic (which you probably will one day, assuming you stick with recording) but for your dynamic mic phantom power is irrelevant.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 4, 2011,
Within the Ruins used Pod Farm for the rhythm tone on their album Invade, so you can DEFINITELY get a good metal tone out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-aupSY2AJs

Here's a thread on ultimatemetal where the producer Joshua Wickman explains it, if you don't believe me.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/614675-within-ruins-new-album.html