Alright here's something I've noticed happening a lot to me recently.

So I've been working on my muting technique, specifically with the index finger on the fretting hand. I noticed that sometimes, specifically on the higher strings on the higher frets, my index finger has to flatten up on the fretboard, sometimes bending back at the first joint from the tip.

Is that good or bad? I'm trying to keep the finger straight as possible (usually it's curled, but for muting purposes I need to flatten it). Is this normal or not? Who has expereinced this?
Quote by zincabopataurio
Alright here's something I've noticed happening a lot to me recently.

So I've been working on my muting technique, specifically with the index finger on the fretting hand. I noticed that sometimes, specifically on the higher strings on the higher frets, my index finger has to flatten up on the fretboard, sometimes bending back at the first joint from the tip.

Is that good or bad? I'm trying to keep the finger straight as possible (usually it's curled, but for muting purposes I need to flatten it). Is this normal or not? Who has expereinced this?

That's bad, if you have to do that to mute then I think you're fretting with the wrong part of your finger.

Can you post a picture of your fretting hand in a few different positions including one where the index finger is bent? Specifically focus on the index finger obviously and try to get the pictures so you can see it from the side on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, it's bad. Though your joints are capable of hyper extending, it's not good for them to do so.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Sorry for bumping this thread (I haven't had a chance to reply yet, and I'd prefer not to make a new thread)

Anyways, here's exactly what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efq_lPN2TZE&feature=related&t=2m30s

Notice how Paul Gilbert's index finger bends back while he is playing on the higher frets. That's exactly how my fingers are (although a lot shorter than his). Afterwards he starts at the beginning of the scale run on the lower frets. That's exactly how my fingers look.

Notice how on the lower frets his index finger is fine, but as he gets higher his index finger starts to bend back in order to stay flat against the fretboard.

The reason why my index has to do this is so that the tip of my index can touch the string lower than the one it is fretting (for muting reasons), and in order for that to happen on the higher frets, my index has to bend back, because of the angle the fingers are coming at to the fretboard (straight down).

Anyways, although I religiously study and worship Paul Gilbert's technique, I just don't like the pressure my index finger gets when it bends back. So since then I've been trying to keep my index straight, which seems to work. The problem is though, is that naturally my finger wants to curl slightly, so as I am fretting my finger will continuously go flat, curl, go flat, etc as I am playing higher.

So my final question is, is this normal? Any tips for muting the strings with the tip of the index finger on the higher frets, such as hand position, angle, etc?

Thanks.