Page 1 of 4
For those who don't know, a nostalgiafag, as defined in Urban Dictionary, is this:

One who refuses to accept new sequels and/or versions of past-successful products, whether it be movies, games, albums, etc.

I've heard the term used most in video games, especially with Pokemon, Zelda, etc.

So thread topic: Are you a nostalgiafag with anything? Do you think nostalgiafags are being overcritical with anything in particular?

I personally think people who hate newer pokemon games are often speaking just from nostalgia. I was the same way, then one day my dad found a Pokemon Diamond in a parking lot, gave it to me as a "here in case you wanna sell it at Gamestop" gift, and I tried it out and LOVED it. T'was fucking tight. I also got Black, and it started out slow, but got even better than Diamond.

I'm also a nostalgiafag with Sonic. I LOVED Sonic The Hedgehog as a kid. His last good games with Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. After that, I tried to give his games a chance, I really tried, but they just weren't good anymore. I even picked up that new game Sonic Colors thinking "Reviews were great. Haven't played Sonic since I was a kid. I'll give it a chance." But I sold it a week later. Pretty boring if you ask me.
I'm like that a bit with Star Trek. But to be fair, everything Star Trek related released in the past 10 years has been crap.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm like that a bit with Star Trek. But to be fair, everything Star Trek related released in the past 10 years has been crap.

Next Gen is best Star Trek.

Tbh, as silly as it is, I'm like that with Runescape. I hate modern Runescape. Give me the one from 5 years ago. I liked that one.
Crash Bandicoot.

Oh lord the times spent in front of my TV wasting away my childhood trying to jump consecutively onto a series of floating boxes. WOOODABAGA!
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
I hate Pokemon nostalgiafags too, well nostalgiafags in general, but I played all of the Pokemon Generations (excluding 3rd) and I think the first one sucks. Movepools were shit, lack of breeding. I still can't get used to catching a lvl 30 or higher Pokemon and it only knows two moves like Tackle and Tail Whip.

I'm kind of a nostalgiafag with RPG's, mainly because I can get the older ones for free on my computer, but I recently bought FFX and XII and I thought both were significantly better than the ever holy VII (yes I said it)

I also listen to a lot of 80s-90s Alternative Music, but that's not to say that I don't have songs that came out within the past year.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm that way about Pokemon. I know I would enjoy the newer games if I played them, but I don't want to pay so I just replay my Blue. I've been doing that for the last month.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by UntilISleep

Agreed. Although I do really like DS9, too. It has a coherent plot that TNG is devoid of.
Check out my band Disturbed
I'm a nostalgiafag when it comes to Morrissey. In the days when he was hopelessly poor, I just liked him more.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I hate Pokemon nostalgiafags too, well nostalgiafags in general, but I played all of the Pokemon Generations (excluding 3rd) and I think the first one sucks. Movepools were shit, lack of breeding. I still can't get used to catching a lvl 30 or higher Pokemon and it only knows two moves like Tackle and Tail Whip.

Exactly. Crystal was always my favorite, then it became Soul Silver when that came out. Best Pokemon game for me. But I still love Sapphire, too. Diamond was okay, Black was better than Diamond for me.

Not really a nostalgiafag with anything. I'll give new iterations and sequels a fair shot.

Quote by The Madcap
After that, I tried to give his games a chance, I really tried, but they just weren't good anymore.

I'd agree. They just aren't the same games anymore, so I don't know if that counts.

And for Zelda, I love Ocarina, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and just about every other one they've released and I've been able to get my hands on.
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 2, 2011,
I'm like that sometimes. Like Castlevania... I fell in love with the open-world RPG ones on my old GBA (Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow) but now the console ones are turning into those stupid hack n' slash games... I want old Castlevania back
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by D&DLover
Exactly. Crystal was always my favorite, then it became Soul Silver when that came out. Best Pokemon game for me. But I still love Sapphire, too. Diamond was okay, Black was better than Diamond for me.

I loved Diamond, I haven't been playing Black as much as I did Diamond and HG YET!

Gold was always my favorite, of course I had to buy the remake, I did enjoy how they incorporated some of the extras from Crystal into HG and SS.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
So the entire Republican party = nostalgiafags?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by UntilISleep

I agree with you.

I can be that way with Stargate. I love the original series and Atlantis, but absolutely can't stand Universe. They took a good action series and made it unrecognizable. There is no real, central story arc, no general threat to the galaxy that they need to stop, and I absolutlely hate the new characters. I gave it a chance and watched the first four episodes and a newer one. Still hate it.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by D&DLover
I'd agree. They just aren't the same games anymore, so I don't know if that counts.

And for Zelda, I love Ocarina, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and just about every other one they've released and I've been able to get my hands on.
With Zelda, I've played the older games, beat the first one for NES, and have play ALttP, but I definitely prefer the new games. Twilight Princess is my favorite, and Spirit Tracks is my favorite handheld. OoT is my second favorite. I guess I'm a newfag.
Quote by rgrockr
I'm like that sometimes. Like Castlevania... I fell in love with the open-world RPG ones on my old GBA (Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow) but now the console ones are turning into those stupid hack n' slash games... I want old Castlevania back

Have you played Judgement?

Oh god, worst buy ever.

Quote by StewieSwan
Agreed. Although I do really like DS9, too. It has a coherent plot that TNG is devoid of.

Yup DS9 is great too, loved it when the series got grittier towards the end with the escalation of the war.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I loved Diamond, I haven't been playing Black as much as I did Diamond and HG YET!

Dude. Black came out my first day of spring break, so I bought it and put 100 hours into it that week and beat it.

I still haven't played Black because my emulator runs it really slowly and I get annoyed.
The new pokemon look like ass. I don't care if they games are great, the pokemon themselves look like ass.
Quote by Scopic
Crash Bandicoot.

Oh lord the times spent in front of my TV wasting away my childhood trying to jump consecutively onto a series of floating boxes. WOOODABAGA!

That's because everything since Wrath of Cortex has been exceptionally shit except for Twinsanity. But dear lord the old games were so good.
I haven't played the latest pokemon games but I never liked the new pokemon as much. In the original 150 there was a pretty equal spread of badass and retarded looking pokemon. As the generations have gone on, more and more have been ridiculous looking and less have captured the awesomeness of the original starters. I did enjoy sapphire but not as much as blue.

The new star wars weren't great, not awful but certainly not as good as the original trilogy.

I find people are like this with music a lot. The band's early releases are worshiped while everything they've come out with after _____ is shit. I try to avoid doing this but with quite a few bands its true.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
The new pokemon imo look fine. There's been dumb looking pokemon in EVERY generation. I will admit the pokemon in black and white however are pretty ugly, compared to other gens.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Gold was always my favorite, of course I had to buy the remake, I did enjoy how they incorporated some of the extras from Crystal into HG and SS.
Diamond was great, but I lost interest after beating the Elite Four. Once you start getting to the Elite Four in Black, that's when it gets the best. After beating them, there's still a lot more to do, plus they get way more tough and challenging the second time you face them and the Champion. Diamond did have a much better story, though.
Last edited by The Madcap at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by The Madcap
With Zelda, I've played the older games, beat the first one for NES, and have play ALttP, but I definitely prefer the new games. Twilight Princess is my favorite, and Spirit Tracks is my favorite handheld. OoT is my second favorite. I guess I'm a newfag.

I really liked TP too. I'm pretty indiscriminate with my Zelda love. For the most part.

Quote by The Madcap
The new pokemon imo look fine. There's been dumb looking pokemon in EVERY generation. I will admit the pokemon in black and white however are pretty ugly, compared to other gens.

Diamond was great, but I lost interest after beating the Elite Four. Once you start getting to the Elite Four in Black, that's when it gets the best. After beating them, there's still a lot more to do, plus they get way more tough and challenging the second time you face them and the Champion. Diamond did have a much better story, though.

Yes and yes.
Quote by D&DLover
Dude. Black came out my first day of spring break, so I bought it and put 100 hours into it that week and beat it.

Nice, took me a month to beat it. I'm weird where I try playing multiple games together, so I play one game until I get to a point where I get annoyed, then play a different game. If I put that many hours from different games into one I could beat them faster, but never 100 hours in a week.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Nice, took me a month to beat it. I'm weird where I try playing multiple games together, so I play one game until I get to a point where I get annoyed, then play a different game. If I put that many hours from different games into one I could beat them faster, but never 100 hours in a week.
Same. I've had Black for couple months and beat it, but I've only got some 50-60 hours on it.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Well, it was spring break, my gf was in Columbus, and I had no cash so I had nothing else to do.
Quote by D&DLover
Well, it was spring break, my gf was in Columbus, and I had no cash so I had nothing else to do.
Dignity saved!
I'm a nostalgiafag for Left 4 Dead. L4D2 was fucking awful.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by The Madcap
Dignity saved!

Quote by robertito696
I find people are like this with music a lot. The band's early releases are worshiped while everything they've come out with after _____ is shit. I try to avoid doing this but with quite a few bands its true.

Yeah, it happens. It's hilarious to watch two people argue over where the band peaked, though. Especially if one likes the first album and the other likes the newest.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I wasn't dissing you

I'm just busy wasting time on other useless things like interwebz surfing

I knows it

But as soon as I had said I spent 100 hours on pokemon in one week on a public forum, I was immediately filled with deep shame and regret.
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Primus2112
I'm a nostalgiafag for Left 4 Dead. L4D2 was fucking awful.

I don't understand the logic in this post
Quote by D&DLover

I wasn't dissing you

I'm just busy wasting time on other useless things like interwebz surfing
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
This reminded me of the first time I played Grand Theft Auto IV.

I was huge into III, Vice City, and San Andreas (no telling how man hours I wasted on the latter), and here comes IV, this entirely different game. You see, I suck at every game past sixth-gen consoles, for some reason I'm just no good. The aiming was hard for me, the physics were too realistic, and the handling on the cars just made me rage hard. I put down the game for a long time, and initially planned to never play it again.

Eventually, I gave it another shot after getting some more experience with seventh-gen consoles, and I was able to actually do stuff on there. Now, I love it.

So, with that, it wasn't the game's fault that I was being a nostalgiafag, it was my shitty playing.
Quote by Weaponized
I don't understand the logic in this post

I'm a nostalgiafag for the first game. The sequel was horrible.
I thought those were just retarded hipsters?

I thought nostalgiafags were the people who loved every game because of their heritage.

Like someone who Loved every sonic game because it had sonic, they'' defend that forever with absolutely no premise to their arguments

Same goes for any old series, really.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I thought Oblivion blew in comparison to Morrowind. Morrowind was just so much more detailed and immersive.

I'm really looking forward to Skyrim though. I think it will be pretty good.

Same with In Flames. Their old shit is gold. New stuff meh.
Last edited by Gyroscope at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by cornmancer
Shu cho ho mouth

nah brah

you know it's true
Quote by Primus2112
I'm a nostalgiafag for the first game. The sequel was horrible.

"Hey, we made your car run better and added A/C"

"I LIKED HOW IT WAS "
Quote by Primus2112
nah brah

you know it's true

Take it back bro, or I'll get my Wu-Tang sword.
Last edited by creelers at Aug 2, 2011,
Page 1 of 4