To start, I play in a metalcore band with a lot of breakdowns and such, so complete silence between palm mute breaks is criticle.

I'm running a POD HD 500 using the 4 cable method into my Spider Valve mkii HD100.
The head is set to Amber Metal, with the gain at about 3 o'clock.

With my guitar plugged straight into my amp, I usually have to set the noise gate to "Gate&NR" and -35db. This has been the perfect spot for me and my guitar. When I purchased the PODHD 500 back in December, even with the 4CM, I had no problems at all.

A few months later, around February, I notice theres a weird hum that quickly swells in for a second and them out. This happens when I quickly mute my guitar after holding an open strum out for a second, or doing palm muted breakdowns.

I've tested different things to be the problem, such as a bad cable, a setting that accidentally got switched, different guitars, system settings, etc., but could not find the solution, besides cranking my Noise gate to -20db and adding another noise gate after my FX module on the POD and setting that threshold to 40. (BTW, the all noise gates' decay is always at 0)

I've found that the extra noise gate is a decent solution, but it cuts my sustain too much and, for some reason, has made my pinch harmonics harder, which is a deadly combo since there's a pinch harmonic I hold out in one of my band's songs and it's just me and no other instruments.

If anyone need more information, I'm gladly to give you full details of my set up.
my spider III has something similar i think at high volumes, i think it may just be low quality speakers....
Try adding a compressor in between the two gates, and have the sustain cranked all the way up.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a compressor as a temp solution, although the higher I go, the worse the problem is, so more gate gets added. I've tried different ones as well.
What do you use the hd500 for?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Seanthesheep
my spider III has something similar i think at high volumes, i think it may just be low quality speakers....

I'm not sure if that's the problem for you, however, I don't think it's the problem for me, since the "noise hump" only happens when my POD HD is plugged in via 4CM.
I haven't tried plugging it in via another method, but I depend on the pedal's tuner and effects being after my amp sound, so I need it to be 4CM.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote by kutless999
What do you use the hd500 for?

I use it for my post effects after my amp sound, and the tuner on it. Sometimes I bypass my actual amp and use a clean amp sound on the POD.
Is the pod in the fx loop of your amp?(does it have one?)
Everything has self noise, it deteriotes over time, esp with cheaper made digital stuff.

When youre piling on modeling effects into a modeling amp especially.

Why do you have a spider valve and a pod? That doesnt really make any sense to me.

Im sure they make a footswitch for it.

Also switch some preamp valves around to test them, you might have a faulty one. Try reseating them and tightening the sockets too. Get some compressed air and spray inside of all pots jacks etc.

Dont pile on more effects, you're making it worse, you need to get rid of the problem at the source. Gating that much is gunna sound awfull.
Quote by kutless999
Is the pod in the fx loop of your amp?(does it have one?)

Yes, via 4 cable method.
Guitar -> input of Pod
Output of Pod -> FX loop in of amp
FX loop out of amp -> FX in of Pod
FX loop out of Pod -> guitar input of amp

I have the FX module usually at the front of the chain.
Yeah, then it just might be your amp.
Quote by beckyjc
Why do you have a spider valve and a pod? That doesnt really make any sense to me.

Im sure they make a footswitch for it.

While the amp does have a lot to it, the POD HD provides a lot more and using the set-up I have now has opened a lot of options for me. The footswitch is an option but it can only go as far as the amp allows.

As to what you said before the quote above, I can see the tubes being the problem, but does that explain why I have the problem only when the PODHD is plugged in and how this only started occuring about 3 months after I got the pedal?

*Side note, I bought the amp head back in the end of September, and it was a display one at Guitar Center. Not 100% sure on how much use was put into the amp before I bought it.
Quote by beckyjc
So have you tried the pod on something else?

No, I haven't. I haven't had access to another amp that has an FX loop. I'm planning to take it into Guitar Center soon and try it on their HD100 and see if that amp has the same problem too.