Uh yeah so I want to know how I can get good, scratch that, BETTER tone than I am currently. Ill be honest im more of a technique and song writer sort of musician than a tone nut [which i view as a bad thing]. anyways have a laugh at my rig:

* As a side not i dont pride myself on electric guitar as acoustic is more my thang*

Squier Bullet [Ha I know]
Digitech RP250 [Double HaHa]
Peavey Rage 250
and either a Blue Snowball Mic or SM58 Mic for recording.

...yes, its quite the humble collection.

BUT anyways! I just want to know how I can use this obviously shitty equipment to get tolerable tone [specifically lead]. so any techniques and/or tricks would be awesome from some of you tone nuts here on UG.

and not to promote myself or anything, but the tone I have been getting can be heard here: www.soundcloud.com/thefrolickingmonster

the tracks 'Say the Word', 'Skin', 'I Love You to Death', and 'When the Bombs Fall' all use this set up I believe.

Thanks a few million
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I'm not overly familiar with your gear, but 2 things I would suggest based on using an amp-modeller into an amp (assuming you're using the RP250 for amp modelling) would be to plug the RP250's output into the amp's return, rather than the preamp in, and the turn off cabinet modelling, if that's possible.

I use a POD X3 into a fender metalhead (which is good for nothing but being a massive poweramp...), and I've found those two things have made the biggest difference. As to what to do with the 250 itself, I don't know; the presets are usually at a decent starting point to figure out what you like, and experimentation should get you the rest of the way.

Hope that helps.
Tubes. Tubey tube tube tubes.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Replacing your entire rig with better equipment will make your sound a thousand times infinite fold better.
its 100 percent in the fingers

i can get a godly tone without plugging my guitar into anything,

my fingers have axe fx technology in them
Quote by ampoverload
its 100 percent in the fingers

i can get a godly tone without plugging my guitar into anything,

my fingers have axe fx technology in them

get out.

I guess, TS, if you didn't want to spend much money, you could just swap the pickups and find yourself a small tube amp.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

get out.

I guess, TS, if you didn't want to spend much money, you could just swap the pickups and find yourself a small tube amp.

I had tubes, tubey tube tube tubes, sitting inside a mesa triple rectifier, and I ended up selling both it and its glorious tubes because I could get a wider, better range of tones out of my pod. I know few to none on this site are going to agree with me, and that's fine, but even more hate modelling technology without giving it a fair go.

I'm not saying it wasn't nice, and that it didn't do some things better than the pod, but it wasn't worth keeping something that cost so much, required so much more maintenance and care, to get 10-20% better tone for some applications.

Tube amps are nice, hell I'm looking at getting a deville right now, but they're the be-all end-all, not anymore.
Quote by Wolffgang
I had tubes, tubey tube tube tubes, sitting inside a mesa triple rectifier, and I ended up selling both it and its glorious tubes because I could get a wider, better range of tones out of my pod. I know few to none on this site are going to agree with me, and that's fine, but even more hate modelling technology without giving it a fair go.

I'm not saying it wasn't nice, and that it didn't do some things better than the pod, but it wasn't worth keeping something that cost so much, required so much more maintenance and care, to get 10-20% better tone for some applications.

Tube amps are nice, hell I'm looking at getting a deville right now, but they're the be-all end-all, not anymore.

I've got a POD. I'd never use it for anything but bedroom practice, because even after hours of tweaking it can't touch the tone of any of my tube amps. I've also got a Fender G-DEC Junior, which is surprisingly good for cleans and heavy distortion, miles ahead of the Line 6. I'd never use it for anything but practice and the occasional recording where I need a weird bass fuzz, because, again, just not as good. I'm not saying there's no such thing as a good SS amp, and I'm not saying the best modelers don't almost measure up--buddy of mine gigged with Axe FX for a few weeks and he sounded pretty good. But I am saying that if you sold a Mesa of any description and replaced it with a POD, you didn't need to start this thread, because tone isn't very important to you. Focus on your playing and melody and when you record you can use whatever the owner of the studio rents you.

Remember: the difference between amateur and pro tone may only be 10%, but so's the difference between a minor-league and major-league pitcher. The last ten percent is all that really counts.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by MattsRichardson
Uh yeah so I want to know how I can get good, scratch that, BETTER tone than I am currently. Ill be honest im more of a technique and song writer sort of musician than a tone nut [which i view as a bad thing]. anyways have a laugh at my rig:

Quote by Wolffgang
I had tubes, tubey tube tube tubes, sitting inside a mesa triple rectifier, and I ended up selling both

Quote by AeolianSeventh
But I am saying that if you sold a Mesa of any description and replaced it with a POD, you didn't need to start this thread, because tone isn't very important to you.

Not the thread starter. Just saying like.
Last edited by Henry Wilt at Aug 2, 2011,
Don't forget to factor the easy overlooked little things like picks for example before tackling the more obvious but more drastically measures/solutions.
I used some very light picks I had laying around and as soon I went to heavier picks, my tone improved a lot.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Last edited by xgunterx at Aug 2, 2011,
i'm sorry but it's too obvious here. just gas for some better gear. and i don't see why you see tone nuts as something bad. it's thanks to them we can enjoy delightful amps and sounds.
Honestly, the guitar isn't that terrible, you could have gone for a lot worse. I think your top priority right now should be saving up for a nice tube amp, a fair chunk of your tone comes from it.
Quote by AEnesidem
i'm sorry but it's too obvious here. just gas for some better gear. and i don't see why you see tone nuts as something bad. it's thanks to them we can enjoy delightful amps and sounds.

sorry, I was unclear.. what I meant was I think its bad I don't obsess over my tone as I should, its basically just laziness for the most part. And I do need some nicer gear its just ever unfortunate I don't exactly have the money to throw around for it

and thanks to all others for their input, general consensus seems to be get better gear which I was afraid of hah. But still great to get the input from you guys!
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Last edited by MattsRichardson at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by ampoverload

I know, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. People that say sort of stuff are crazy.