Page 5 of 9
Quote by coco-loco
Oh wow. How would I do that? could I change the pitch of it and speed etc. using it?

And also, if I wanted to change synths mid-song for example, is there a function on the keyboard to allow me to do that, or would I need to change it on the Laptop?

a) yes

b) some keyboards allow a change (most modern I believe) especially if they are already setup for the DAW you are using.

however I actually do use a mouse a lot of the time live :p but on fast switches i have my MPD setup up chromatically and sometimes switch to it if its a fast switch on keyboard (mainly cause my keyboard is kind of old and doesn't have switching controls)
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by slipknot5678
You can map the MIDI controls to do that. Some keyboards are programmed to work with certain DAWs to use the DAW through the keyboard.

Quote by FireHawk
a) yes

b) some keyboards allow a change (most modern I believe) especially if they are already setup for the DAW you are using.

however I actually do use a mouse a lot of the time live :p but on fast switches i have my MPD setup up chromatically and sometimes switch to it if its a fast switch on keyboard (mainly cause my keyboard is kind of old and doesn't have switching controls)

Alright, wicked. So effectively, the keyboard can work as a sampler too! Awesome!

Thank you very, very much!
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Last edited by coco-loco at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by coco-loco
Alright, wicked. So effectively, the keyboard can work as a sampler too! Awesome!

Thank you very, very much!

yeah but you need to map your samples or you are just going to be playing the same sample at multiple pitches (unless you have a keyboard with trigger pads then it becomes super easy to set up)
Quote by FireHawk
yeah but you need to map your samples or you are just going to be playing the same sample at multiple pitches (unless you have a keyboard with trigger pads then it becomes super easy to set up)

So I take it mapping is sort of like patching? You apply a different sound to a different key?
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
So I take it mapping is sort of like patching? You apply a different sound to a different key?

to be honest idk i map samples to my MPD :P
I am sure someone around here or HolyKatana will come buy and clear this up

EDIT: I do know how to do it in FL actually now that I think about it, but don't have a ton of experience mapping it to keyboard keys....
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 7, 2011,
Sweet haha. thanks for the hundredth time for your help!
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by FireHawk
no problem, keyboards and synths rock!

...wow that wasn't lame or cheesy....

Quote by slash_GNR666

Could anyone recommend me a cheap small synth? My budget is around £300 ($450) and I want a physical synth, none of this computery stuff. I've been looking at the MicroKorg and the Alesis Micron. They both seem to have drawbacks (build quality and key size for the Korg, lack of features for the Alesis). The Korg looks like it has a good deal of features but the small keys might get on my nerves, although I might use an electric piano as a MIDI controller some of the time, so the size wouldn't be that much of an issue unless of course the keys are REALLY small (could anyone give me a rough measurement of the width of the keys?). From what I can tell from pictures, the Korg has way more features than the Alesis, although I've been told the Alesis has drum sequencing which the Korg doesn't. I also don't think I'd need the Korg's vocoder.

If anyone could help me decide or recommend me a different synth, that would be great. I'd be happy to give any more information if needed.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Could anyone recommend me a cheap small synth?

although I might use an electric piano as a MIDI controller some of the time,

If anyone could help me decide or recommend me a different synth, that would be great. I'd be happy to give any more information if needed.

if you already have a decent keyboard that you could use as a MIDI controller, perhaps looking into some soft synths could be the way to go. i myself am not really into that sort of thing, so i don't really have any specific suggestions, but HK and FireHawk should be able to point you in the right direction if you want to go that route, and they've already posted a few links in this thread if you want to find some of those.

but what type of features are you looking for exactly? what type of sounds, what sort of genre, etc?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Honestly, I really don't want software. I don't have a laptop that i could put near the digital piano which weighs almost as much as a proper one, and I'm doubtful that I could get software for Linux anyway. I want an actual keyboard that I can move around and stuff.

I'm not sure about sounds, I just want to create some traditional sine/square/saw wave sounds and play around with them (I don't want to emulate other instruments as such), that's why I'd prefer an analogue synth, or something that models the sounds of one. I don't know much about synths, I can play piano reasonably well but that's about it. I think the Alesis would be pretty good for what I want, to be honest, just because it doesn't look all that confusing.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Honestly, I really don't want software. I don't have a laptop that i could put near the digital piano which weighs almost as much as a proper one, and I'm doubtful that I could get software for Linux anyway. I want an actual keyboard that I can move around and stuff.

I'm not sure about sounds, I just want to create some traditional sine/square/saw wave sounds and play around with them (I don't want to emulate other instruments as such), that's why I'd prefer an analogue synth, or something that models the sounds of one. I don't know much about synths, I can play piano reasonably well but that's about it. I think the Alesis would be pretty good for what I want, to be honest, just because it doesn't look all that confusing.

To be honest I am no expert in analogue (a broke college student) so I haven't really answered you. But since you aren't really getting any help I guess I can try to help. For 300 dollars you are not going to find one that isn't a clone that you have to assemble your self. Around $300 dollars you are looking at digital sample based pianos. Although on ebay you may find some stuff. Here is an article I found, but you will have to listen to clips yourself as I found this on just a quick google search.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/11/18/9-dirt-cheap-vintage-synths-that-dont-suck/

Hopefully Holy Katana or thegeo comes back to help you out.

Quote by ng117
Any recommendations for a keyboard amp? I usually gig in medium size halls with a full band (Guitarist, drummer, bassist and vocalist.) My Max budget is 500 euros which is 686.45 U.S. dollars or 436.45 Pounds, according to Google.

Are you looking analogue or digital or MIDI based?
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by ng117
Sorry I meant to say it was digital-based.

Your going to be limited in that price range.

The Yahama MM6 doesn't really allow for any customization but has some great sample based stuff (pianos and amazing strings). It also has an amazing arpeggiator. I actually have one in my room that is my bands singers that I have been controlling MIDI with, and playing with arpeggiator.

The Korg PS60 (not sure what its retailing for anymore, but you could can get one second hand for sure) offers a little more customization.

If you want to program your own sounds check out a second hand Korg X50

I am more of a MIDI guy I'm sure someone will come around here and help you out a bit more.
@ LRCGUITAR - in that range, there aren't too many analogue synths, the module version of the DSI Mopho coming to mind. as far as digital synths that model analogues, i'd definitely agree to avoid the microKORG due to those tiny keys. other than that, i'm not too sure what to recommend.

@ ng117 - i personally don't know anything about keyboard amps, but i'm looking into getting a keyboard amp sometime soon. but with 500 euros you can probably do quite well.

@ FireHawk - silly rabbit, he asked for a keyboard amp.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 15, 2011,
For the record, I said £300 which is around 460 USD. Anyway I think the Alesis seems pretty good, the Korg really does look a bit cheap and toy-like.
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by LRCGUITAR
For the record, I said £300 which is around 460 USD. Anyway I think the Alesis seems pretty good, the Korg really does look a bit cheap and toy-like.

Yeah its just there is not that much in that price range. All the synths I'm looking getting when I graduate are around $1000 USD

Your best bet is try to find a place to demo them.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 15, 2011,
I don't anything too complicated, just some good sounds I can have fun with... I wouldn't justify spending anymore since my main instrument is still guitar and if I were to spend a lot of money on an instrument, it would probably be a nice classical guitar.
The thing with analogue is its expensive to make. If you find reviews on the Alesis are good give it a try man, and who knows maybe its exactly what your looking for.

At worst you sell it and get something else I guess
Quote by FireHawk
The thing with analogue is its expensive to make. If you find reviews on the Alesis are good give it a try man, and who knows maybe its exactly what your looking for.

At worst you sell it and get something else I guess

yeah, if you're just looking for something to mess around with, it will probably get the job done. and the good thing is that most music stores (in the US at least, it might be different there) have some sort of return period, usually 30 days or so, so you can always try it out and then if you decide you don't like it, you could probably return it and get something else.
When said analogue.. I didn't mean fully analogue, MiniMoog kind of things, I just meant I didn't want any software or anything (sorry for being a synth noob ).

Thanks a lot for your advice, if I really don't like it I can sell it for almost as much, or trade it for a different one... I guess a good thing about selling stuff like synths on eBay is that nobody has to worry about the action and intonation
Anyone here like Yamaha? I got one of these beastly things [well, they are great when compared to my school's keyboards].

Also, does anyone just seem to dislike Casio? My school has a load of them and they seem really shit. The sound is horrible and they aren't exactly reliable.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by LRCGUITAR
When said analogue.. I didn't mean fully analogue, MiniMoog kind of things, I just meant I didn't want any software or anything (sorry for being a synth noob ).

that's why we really need a glossary and other basic information at the beginning of the thread.

Quote by Woffelz
Also, does anyone just seem to dislike Casio? My school has a load of them and they seem really shit. The sound is horrible and they aren't exactly reliable.

if your school has low end keyboards, than sure, they'll be awful. what model are they?
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 15, 2011,
Low end Casio is some pretty bad stuff lol. As for Yamaha when I am not using my midi keyboard I sometimes fool around on a MM-6...no customization but good strings for sure...I actually really like the arpegiator for MIDI also, not unweighted keys kinda suck...
I got an update on my synth, saying it should be done by the end of the month at the earliest, and early November at the latest.

Too bad my MIDI controller is broken, and I'm saving up for a PC build.

At least it has drone mode, though. That should actually be pretty cool. I could run it through my HD500 and make some sweet drone music.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
I ordered the Micron and it arrived today. Seems wayy too complicated, has anyone got some advice for a beginner?

The extremely simplified interface (it is, for all intents and purposes, an Alesis Ion in a smaller package without all the knobs) makes it a bitch to program. One of the reasons why I haven't broken down and bought one. It's actually way more powerful than anything of its size should ever be. There's a guy out there who's done a few extremely impressive YouTube videos demonstrating some of its more esoteric functions. And I've seen Ion demos that do the same, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXV4RsEy8b8

The guy who did that video is insane. He has so many synths, and gets some of the craziest sounds out of some of them (particularly the Korg Prophecy).

If you have a Mac, there's a free programmer available as an AU plugin that should make things much better in terms of having a better interface. And I just learned that there's a VST plugin programmer as well for Windows, only it costs $38, but I guarantee it'll be helpful. http://www.hypersynth.com/ion-editor.html
Last edited by Holy Katana at Oct 19, 2011,
Have you used ACE. I am downloading demo now wondering if it is going to replace my other modular synths.

To be honest though I haven't learned the other mod synths real well as I am hit and miss kinda guess work :/

But hey they came with the Arturia Collection might as well get them all for a discount than each individually priced.
I don't have a mac or windows thanks though. That video's really cool too. I reckon I'll get used to all the menu diving on the micron, I started getting the hang of it earlier today...
What distribution are you using, then, and are you a GNU/Linux guy or a BSD guy?

Quote by FireHawk
Have you used ACE. I am downloading demo now wondering if it is going to replace my other modular synths.

To be honest though I haven't learned the other mod synths real well as I am hit and miss kinda guess work :/

But hey they came with the Arturia Collection might as well get them all for a discount than each individually priced.

ACE is really nice. I like its simplicity, but it's not gonna replace your other modulars. It will, however, wow you in its capabilities for things like audio-rate filter FM, which other synths struggle at doing correctly because they don't oversample LFOs and stuff.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
ACE is really nice. I like its simplicity, but it's not gonna replace your other modulars. It will, however, wow you in its capabilities for things like audio-rate filter FM, which other synths struggle at doing correctly because they don't oversample LFOs and stuff.

Just did a quick run through of presets and WOW. ACE is great. I am gonna start making patches tomorrow, some of the presets show good industrial potential so I may have to study those. Once I get a job I am gonna have to throw down the cash on this (I need to do an inventory on my software sometime...has to be the most valuable thing I own).

So now some actually hardware...

Not sure if I want http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AELab61 or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AELab when I graduate (in May) since I am gonna have to buy me something when I get a job lol

I currently have an M-Audio Keystation 61es and well its a bit out of date I mean come on look at the thing...great when I was beginning but I need to move on.

I am currently rocking out on a Yahama MM6 (not mine but my singer leaves it here) but when I graduate he is gonna take it back...I love the arpeggiator in it, that patterns rock when I am lazy.
arpeggiators certainly are fun.
Are there any good sites for free sheet music? Its so hard to find real free sheets.
I know learning on youtube is easier, but I'd like to try learning from notes and stuff.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Last edited by akm_202 at Oct 22, 2011,
I've been looking at getting a new keyboard soon and wanted your guys opinions. The only one I have that I've been using only has 61 keys, not weighted, so yeah. Is this one any good?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-sp-250-88-key-portable-digital-piano

Or is there better alternatives for around the same price? I definitely want 88, weighted keys and maybe some other sounds I can mess around with, too. Oh, and an output to plug into an amp/my processor.