Hey guys,

So I noticed that Gibson LP Customs have a very cool finish that changes with age, as well as the binding that becomes yellow and such. I think it's amazing.

I have an Epi LP Custom. Can I expect the same thing ? Or anything at all ?
Or will my guitar be the same in 10 years than it is now ?

Thanks!
If memory serves, the old ones age like that because of the Nitro paint, which isn't used any more. So, no, yours will not age like an old Gibby, but neither will a new Gibby, if that's any consolation.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Oh really ? So new Gibsons look the same year after year ? It is a consolation ^^ thanks!
Some things will oxidize. The binding will yellow if left in the sun.

Depending on conditions it can take years. But as the guy above said it is now a completely different type of finish on the wood so it will not be the same.
I think so, but I've been wrong before.

Quote by bogg808

its the lacquer that caused the yellowing, nitrocellulose tended to do that. both Gibsons and Epiphones use polyurethane finishes now though
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
you could strip off the current lacquer and get a nitro finish put over it. then it would age in a similar fashion.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by lbj273
its the lacquer that caused the yellowing, nitrocellulose tended to do that. both Gibsons and Epiphones use polyurethane finishes now though

lololol every time i read your sig i think that anyone who reads it but wasn't in that thread will be like WTF
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah totally, it was a had to be there moment fo sho
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by InanezGuitars44
you could strip off the current lacquer and get a nitro finish put over it. then it would age in a similar fashion.

Seriously ? One could do that ? And would it be... risky or difficult ?
Not if you know how to do it.

Quote by bogg808

wtf since when did gibson start using lacquer? one of the reasons I wanted a gibson was because of the nitro finish as far as i knew they still used it. those cheap bastards
I thought it was an environmental thing. Could be cost though.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by alans056
Seriously ? One could do that ? And would it be... risky or difficult ?

Depends. Are you a woodworker type of guy or are you a pay somebody to do it sorta guy? Sounds like a lot of rooting around for nothing. My first reaction to this thread was "will a gibson age like a gibson?" Just treat it right man, it will server you well. It's not an investment, it's a working guitar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Gibson still uses nitro lacquer on everything but the cheap faded guitars. Granted, it's a slightly different chemical composition because of environmental regulations but still. It's exactly the same thing as the old stuff in practice.

And a good poly finish is considerably more expensive than a good lacquer finish because it takes a lot more man hours and training to get it right.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 2, 2011,
cathbard is right. epiphones can be nice guitars, but there is also a chance you wont even have the thing long enough for it to age like that haha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Oh... Said I wasn't sure.

^Doesn't it take like 10 years or so?

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Aug 2, 2011,
With the time you'll probably own it, the only age you're going to get is a chip in the headstock and some wore frets.

Not worth the hassle. Nice idea though.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
i think your best bet would be to buy an old gibson from a not so "collectable" year. that way it will already be old and worn in and have all the old goodness you want. and you can find some for around the price of new ones or even less. but some old gibsons go waayyy up in value. so you have to shop around.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
nah. you need nitro for that, far as i'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

the lighter silver colour is the original.... my Epi aged pretty Damn fast, that was after 8 years of hard playing/gigging.

but my guitar was neither pooh or nitro, though my Jim Root fender was nitro and that was 'aging' as you played the bloody thing.

new Gibson guitars take much longer to age than the old and even they took decades.
First of all: Gibson does still use nitro finishes, even on their cheapest guitars.
That includes the Melody Maker and the Faded series.

That means Gibsons will age well, as you would except from a nitro finished guitar.

EDIT: ^ The Jim Root is NOT nitro finished, not many modern Fenders are.
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Aug 2, 2011,
what they call "nitro" today isn't close to what they used in the 50's and 60's.

if it's a thin coat finish, it will age faster.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.