Hey guys,

I have a Blues Jr but I think I made a mistake buying it. I never gig an rarely play in a band. I would like to sell it for something cheaper and smaller, but still being a valve amp.

Here we go :

Budget: 350 USD (300&euro max
Genre : Rock : Interpol, The Strokes, Modest Mouse
New/Used : Don't care
Home or gig : HOME
Closest city : Rennes (France)
Current gear : Epi LP Custom w/ Gibson 57' Classics, Jekyll&Hyde pedal.

If there isn't any good valve amp out there that would do the job, I would keep my Blues Jr. But it's a waste of money just sitting in my bedroom

Thanks!!!
Last edited by alans056 at Aug 2, 2011,
vht special 6 or special 6 ultra might work. though for all you'd save (as you'd take a hit by selling your BJ), it's debatable if it's really worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just edited the budget, it's more like 300 euros.

What do you mean by taking a hit on the Blues Jr ?
Last edited by alans056 at Aug 2, 2011,
i think the blues junior is a good amp for what you play honestly. if you get a smaller tube amp, it won't be THAT much quieter. so i don't really see the point...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well if you have to sell your blues junior, you aren't going to get much money for it. and then you won't have much to buy another tube amp. so you won't really be saving any money.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
What he's trying to say is "Deal with it"
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

Quote by alans056
I just edited the budget, it's more like 300 euros.

What do you mean by taking a hit on the Blues Jr ?

your BJ was, what, say 500 euros new? if you go to sell it, you'll probably be doing well if you get much above 350 euros. that's a 150 euro hit (sorry for using slang). you now only have 350 to spend on an amp, which might not be as good as the BJ.

whereas if you keep the BJ at least you have a 500 euro amp.

now, it's more complicated than that, because price doesn't always equate to quality, but yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
adding to what dave just said,: if you sell it and get 300-350 euros, which would be doing pretty well, and then you buy an amp at the top of your 300 euro budget youll only have 50 or so euros left and most likely an amp that doesnt sound as good. so what is more important: keeping a potentially better quality amp, or going through some trouble and ending up with a potentially lower quality amp and 50 euros.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
you've already paid for it (i guess) so what's the problem?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
^^^yeah, pretty much.

now- if the vht special 6 would do what you want, it's only like 120 euros. so you might save maybe 150-200 euros. But i'm not sure it sounds as good as a bj, and wouldn't work for gigs down the line. and doesn't have a master volume (like the bj), so any distortion would have to come from pedals (unless you can crank it up, and from the sounds of things you can't).

But yeah, i mean unless you're absolutely desperate for the money, i'd probably just hang onto the bj.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At your price point, you could get by with a Marshall Class 5 (which is $399 USD), which also has a headphone jack built into it. The only other amp in that price point that would be close to that would be a Vox AC15 VR, which is a hybrid tube and solid state amp, iirc. Really good cleans and it can get gainey when you want it to, but in the middle of that, that is if you need some real crunchy distortion, is kinda disappointing.

If you can go all the way up to a Vox AC15C1 (that goes for $599 USD), that would be the way to go, as it's a Chinese made all tube amp. I have one and it takes pedals well, too.

One other thing to consider for home use where you don't want to annoy the neighbors would be a headphone amp like an Electro-Harmonix unit I use that you can run your pedals into. http://www.amazon.com/Harmonix-Headphone-Amp-Portable-Practice/dp/B003UIBQEI/ref=sr_1_10?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1312280353&sr=1-10
thanks a lot guys I think you convinced me to hold on to my BJ (thats was she said luulz), I wouldnt be able to sell for much anyway, it's such a popular amp.