Hey,

I've been playing guitar for about 18 months on the acoustic, now I wanna start to learn some lead and rhythm playing for blues, I'm still a beginner though.

Seen a classified ad for £250 (about $400) for a Korean Epiphone Les Paul - i've been told by the seller that its better than the current Chinese made ones? It comes with a hard case and Park G10R amp.

Do you think its a good deal? I mean good deal in comparison to, say:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst/9TT

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-(lp100)-electric-guitar-heritage-cherry-sunburst--8577

(by the way, are the guitars in those two links the same? second one's finish looks alot better!)

Cheers
Last edited by nick-33 at Aug 2, 2011,
It looks like a good deal but unless you can't afford it (no offense intended) you should probably go for a better guitar if you've been Playing for 18 months, I would recommend the Epiphone les Paul Ultra II or the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II or the Fender Mexican Strat or The PRS SE CUSTOM 24 (SE is the PRS budget range). they are all good ideas, but back to the point, it is a good deal.
Find out what model it is first, if its a standard I'd go for it if its a studio you can buy one of them new for £249. So yeah find out what version of the Epi LP range it is before making a decsion.

As for the LP100 don't bother tbh save for at least the studio (£249-259) or a Standard (£299-359)
He posted this link for a 'current version' similar to his:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04041420012718

..citing that his was better because the linked one is likely to be Chinese made rather than the 'sought after' Korean ones of the 90''s?

Thanks for all help

Edit: oh and by the way £250 in total for guitar+amp is probably my absolute max. I am nowhere near gigging standard so I am not looking to make a big investment - plus I'm a student!
Last edited by nick-33 at Aug 2, 2011,
He's confirmed that its a Standard not a Studio and has someone else very interested - think I'm gonna go have a play with it. I'm a newbie though and have no idea how it should sound..might have a play of a few in guitar shops before I go.
I wouldn't say they're necessarily 'sought after' but from my experience the epis from the 90's Korea era are of higher quality than the ones currently made. I have a Les Paul doublecut with P90's made in '95 and it's a great guitar. I say between the korean and the new Les Paul 100, definitely go with the korean. (Not too sure about that amp, though.)
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
I wouldn't say they're necessarily 'sought after' but from my experience the epis from the 90's Korea era are of higher quality than the ones currently made. I have a Les Paul doublecut with P90's made in '95 and it's a great guitar. I say between the korean and the new Les Paul 100, definitely go with the korean. (Not too sure about that amp, though.)

Thanks for the comment. Yeah from reviews online the amp doesn't seem fantastic but I could always try and flog it and get a better one if I don't like it.
Go with the one the guy is offering for that price, Current Standard plus top's are around £400 as shown on your link. Also with the amp just do what you said, give it a test if you like the sound keep it, if not try to sell it and get another one
Going to test-play this badboy on thursday evening. Thanks alot for all your posts, they certainly have helped me make up my mind.