Hey gang,

So, i took my T-20 out of its case for the first time in a few months the other day. I wanted to look it over to get it ready for a trade...

But, low and behold, what i had thought was a loose truss rod, is an all-out neck warp.

I wasn't a fan of the original neck anyways, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise as i LOVE the body and tone from it.

I quickly tried out my jazz neck on it, and the jazz is just a liiiiiittle too big at the pocket.

I'm getting a Squire P bass neck from a friend tonight, as the difference isn't that huge... now...

Is it better to sand down the neck, or open up the neck pocket?

A friend said it'd probably be better to open the pocket, as it'll allow for other Fender neck options down the road.

Thoughts?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Do you plan on changing the neck in the future to another Fender neck?
If you can truthfully say you do open the pocket.
If not... you get the point
Well, i doubt i'd get another T-20 neck, and the pocket is pretty damn specific to it. Bothe the T-40 and T-45 necks won't fit in the pocket either.

So if i DID change the neck again, out of ease-of-acquiring, it'd be a fender neck...

The P neck i'm getting is Rosewood... i'd rather a Maple neck at some point...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I'd sand the neck personally. The neck is worth less.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I'd sand the neck personally. The neck is worth less.

This. If, god forbid, something goes wrong, its easier to get another Fender/Squier neck then it is to get a T-20 body. Plus for some reason I can just picture opening the pocket being more of a headache.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
This. If, god forbid, something goes wrong, its easier to get another Fender/Squier neck then it is to get a T-20 body. Plus for some reason I can just picture opening the pocket being more of a headache.

That was my thought, exactly...
I have pondered this myself, but never followed through
with it.

The neck is the choice to work on. It doesn't take nearly
as much trouble and even if you put the neck back on the
original body later, you'd hardly notice.

Messing with the socket can get you screwed up for now
and in the future.

One thing you want to check is the scale length. If it moves,
then the bridge must also move. If the bridge is to be moved,
don't mess with that until the neck is seated. Then you can
line the scale and precise string alignment at the same time.

I can just bet a neck shim is also in your future to accommodate
the Peavey neck socket. The Peavey has a neck tilting system
that probably will make your string height wrong.

It's a piece of cake. It will take a few hours without mishap.

Go for it,

Tabdog