i gotta admit i love to look at guitars at GC but i never plug them in and play. Sometimes i want to but then the sales pitch kicks in and i just feel uncomfortable about it. i am not bashing the sales folks, that is what they are there for.
f that shiz, the one near me doesn't care and whenever I walk in, they never say a word to anyone, and they let anyone play with any guitar. there's normally like 5 other people also playing.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
at mine the guitars that are reachable can be taken down and played no problem. anything higher or behind the counter you have to ask. no big shock that they keep most of the expensive stuff up high or behind the counter. as long as you are careful and respectful of the guitars i'm pretty sure it's GC policy to just allow customers to take them off the wall and play.
Is this a troll? Of course you can go in and play them.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Yep, just yank it down, plug it in, do a few windmills, then take it by the neck as if you're going to smash it, then put it carefully back. Drives 'em nuts.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
^ not that...

I usually take a dust cloth with me, and (without asking) plzy stuff...but when I'm done I wipe them down so the look better than when I play'd em..helps with your credibility a bunch too
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Vulcan
Yep, just yank it down, plug it in, do a few windmills, then take it by the neck as if you're going to smash it, then put it carefully back. Drives 'em nuts.

POST IS WIN.
I would like to do this now.
Sure, anything you can reach on the wall within ease you can play all you want. Sometimes you have to ask for a cable or for them to plug in an amp you're checking out, but it's not a big deal.

Here's a little word of advice: bring in one of you nicer guitars to play through an amp or something, set it back in the case, and then shop around like you normally would. Once they see you bring in a nice guitar to play amps with they know you mean business and normally give you instant access to any piece of gear. It's what I usually do
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^nice sig sir. Yeah just ask for a cable. It says "Hey I'd like to play one of the guitars, please provide."
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by manubro1
To try it. Can I just take it off the wall or do I have to ask?

I do. But then I don't look or act like a schmuck either...
I do. I even walked behind the counter and grabbed a $2000 Gibby of the wall the other day. I didn't realize I was behind the counter though, it just kinda happened. The sales guys look like they are going to have a nervous breakdown when I reach high and get the higher guitars down. I understand that they want to put the more expensive guitars up high so the non-serious buyers won't touch them, but I don't care to interact with the salesmen unless I've already made up my mind that I'm going to buy.
I just grab them and play. I don't like to ask for their help because I don't want them to get their hopes up of selling something when I know I'm not there to buy anything that day.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
I always go to GC expecting something new but there are just the same old teles, strats, lps and sgs
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Most places you can try anything, as long as the hangar/stand isn't locked. However, I personally believe it is courteous to not play anything unless you are intending to buy a new guitar in the foreseeable future. It irritates me when kids go in and play for ages only to kill time. It's that which makes the sale staff douche-bags when you want to try something more expensive with the intention of possibly buying it.
Quote by robhc
Most places you can try anything, as long as the hangar/stand isn't locked. However, I personally believe it is courteous to not play anything unless you are intending to buy a new guitar in the foreseeable future. It irritates me when kids go in and play for ages only to kill time. It's that which makes the sale staff douche-bags when you want to try something more expensive with the intention of possibly buying it.

Playing there just to kill time is stupid, but there's nothing wrong with seeing what's available and exploring different styles/brands of the guitar. Some people may not know anyone with a Gibson or a PRS, but they may want to try one out to see what the hype is about.

I know it's a pain, and the sales staff get irritated, but Guitar Center moves into towns and kills many small businesses. They are a huge corporate retailer. Respecting them is like respecting Walmart. And they built their store based around a huge selection and an easy-going way to try everything out, and it worked. People don't like going to a music store, being the only one on an amp, and having the sales staff eyeball them the whole time, and that's part of why people go to Guitar Center over the smaller stores.
i usually just go in to guitar stores to try new brands i haven't played before. it's mostly country players so there are a lot of Fenders here but no LTDs, Schecters, Ibanez, etc that i would want to buy. so when i go in a shop that has them and i see a model i've been curious about, i might pick one up, play for 10 minutes or so, retune it, wipe it down and put it back. if it really blows me away, i might go up to 30 minutes to give it a full test run. it's how i decided i really want an LTD Eclipse of some sort. never would have known otherwise
My GC has a wall where they hang the Gibsons, PRS, EBMM, and other expensive guitars, and it's right behind one of the sales desks. So I will always ask before I try out anything from there. Anything else though I just grab and play.
if you have to ask that question, you probably look like a guy they dont want taking an expensive guitar off the wall.

but in general, sure its fine as long as you dont grab one from up high and accidentally drop it.
Quote by manubro1

You have to buy it before you leave the store, but if you keep it in the store it's ok.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I got yelled at for taking one off the wall. I live in Ohio. It depends I guess
Crescent(No info on this, bought used, PM if you'd like to help me out...?)
2007 Warlock
Just ask the guys in the store eh? its sort of the polite thing to do. They've never said no to an ask 'cos that's what the're there for. Anyway, ask nice they'll tune it and plug it in an amp for yuh.

(assumes international similarity to DE, ES, NL and GB)
Quote by manubro1

no, its ok by me.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Usually if the guitar is in reach and you don't have to go behind any counter to get them, you can try them out on the floor. That's how it's like at most, if not all of the guitar stores around here.

Also, the guitars that you can't play are usually marked as such. Some places will stick a sign between the strings that say 'ask' or something similar. Others will have them behind the counter.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.