Page 1 of 4
It is just bullshit that a guitar that has been hanging on a wall for months can be sold as "new". It is not new, it is used, it should be discounted. I wont pay for something at brand new price when over a 100 16 year olds had there hands on them and played them just for the fun of it. Where can I buy a new guitar that has ONLY been touched by the factory workers / initial setup?
Most guitars are built by chinese 12 year olds anyway.

Whats your deal?

Would you rather get a guitar off the shelf that you know plays well despite a few bumps and scratches or risk getting a dud from the back of the store.

You should ask for discount if you can find anything aesthetically wrong.
ask for one from the back? they should have quite a few in stock and would be happy to get you one. and so what if the one on the wall has been played? no 2 guitars play the same exact way, so the one on the wall could feel/play so much better than one from the back.

EDIT: also, buy from the internet. those should be brand new.

and what are you complaining for? if you don't end up liking the guitar, now YOU touched it, and other 16 year olds have to toulch YOUR germs.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Aug 2, 2011,
man up. maybe you have OCD or something?
Quote by Arterial
I was chased by a man with a sledgehammer two years ago

My Gear
Squire Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 60 Watt
LTD M-100 FM
*sold*
Boss Mt-2
Laney LX-12 15 watt
Quote by 3reach
Where can I buy a new guitar that has ONLY been touched by the factory workers / initial setup?

Teh internetz.

I think you missed the point of the phrasing 'as new'.

Seriously, if you find anything wrong with the guitar then by all means take it up with the dealer, though simply saying 'it has been touched by many 16 year olds' wont get you far if the guitar actually is 'as new'.
Quote by throwdown!

Or maybe I just want to use my brain and not pay brand new price for something thats used???
so are you a player or a collector?

i know of one particular guitar that has been sold 4 times, and brought back for different reasons.

if it bothers you, order new and pay full price.

otherwise, use any small ding/scratch as a bargaining chip.

there was a particular prestige that had a couple pretty nasty dings in it, we sold it for under cost just to get it out of the store. the dude gigs regularly and said he didn't care and was happy he could get a prestige instead of a regular RG. he also said it would have a shitton more dings soon enough.

what about the open package of socks at the store?

should the cars in the showroom at porsche be tagged as used because they were out on a test drive?

you totally fail at retail bro.

TS - just order new in box from MF or sweetwater, or samash.com or music123 or........
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2011,
A lot of the guitar shops I go to have guitars on the wall as display models. If you want to buy a specific guitar, they usually get a new one from the back.

I also agree with everyone else that if they are selling the guitars off the wall and its not damaged then there's no problem.
Quote by gothikchile13
A lot of the guitar shops I go to have guitars on the wall as display models. If you want to buy a specific guitar, they usually get a new one from the back.

+1, or they just order a new one for you. Buying display models that aren't vintage or some other 1ofakind = why
i'd like to see you order a porsche new in box.

you know the kid that washed it for you ripped up the back parking lot just prior.

lol
Quote by 3reach
Or maybe I just want to use my brain and not pay brand new price for something thats used???

think about this
its simple logic!
EVERYTHING IS THAT WAY
people touch (and even wear) the clothes you buy prior to you buying it
your food gets touched by MANY people who just want to pick it up to read the label
shoes get tried on
soda
water
cars
your girlfriend may have had a few guys before you. you gonna dump her cause she has been on a few dates?
or even got laid a few times?

i think you should just cowboy up brother!
who cares if people touch something
'ewwie ewwie GERMS''
If you're serious about buying a guitar what you should be doing is finding the guitar you like, trying every one (within reason) they've got on the shop-floor or in the back, in every finish to see which one you like.

If there is some damage on a floor model just ask for a reduction in the price.

Get over it.
This thread is adorable
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by 3reach
It is just bullshit that a guitar that has been hanging on a wall for months can be sold as "new". It is not new, it is used, it should be discounted. I wont pay for something at brand new price when over a 100 16 year olds had there hands on them and played them just for the fun of it. Where can I buy a new guitar that has ONLY been touched by the factory workers / initial setup?

Try whatever guitars you like in the store, ask if they have one in the back. If they don't, see if they can order a new one in. If they can't order one in for you, try DrumCityGuitarLand.com. I ordered my Eclipse II from them, no tax or shipping and got a free setup. I chose the strings, the tuning, everything I wanted and I couldn't be happier. That was 4 years ago and I'd most likely order from them again.

I feel the same way about guitar stores. I rarely ever go to them anymore. A lot of people will **** up the guitars closest to the floor as the store tends to keep the nicer ones up higher.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
This is seriously one of the dumbest threads I've read in a long time
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
you buy the guitar that you like after trying it.

also they give you like 10-15 percent off anyway depending on how long its been hanging.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
you're not gonna get aids from it so quit whining
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by gregs1020
try removing the sand.

This. Sand in places it shouldn't be. That's what I hate.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by lbj273
This is seriously one of the dumbest threads I've read in a long time

+1

but it's not even worthy of a facepalm stack...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
this thread reminds me of the b0nerz thread
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

You can ask if they have one in the box. I know at Guitar Center, they will go get it for you if they do. Or you can not buy it.
YEAH! And you know what else, man? The Government! Nothing's new maaaaaan, it's all been down before. Down with the man!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by throwdown!

+1

80% or more of guitars in most shops are hanging on the wall.

Frankly if you get something that cost more than $400 the 16 year old kids won't be "touching it" because "the good stuff" will be on a hook with at least one maybe even two layers of cheaper guitars under it.

No way in hell is a shop going to put a PRS custom 24 or a Gibson Les Paul anywhere near anyone but semi serious buyers have access to them.

The common practice in 99% of all stores. Unless it's a tiny mom and pop shop. The expensive stuff is out of reach without using a ladder to get to it....

Want to get some attention form an employee. Try to grab the ladder so you can climb up to the top row of guitars where the $3000+ instruments are
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
actually i was renowned for handing the good stuff out to people, even kids. PRS, Gibson whatever.

some of the kids had wealthy grandparents. so when the kid begs for 6 months and xmass comes around. cha-ching.

but i made sure they sat and played, and only through a good amp.

i've got ninja powers when it comes to sales.
Quote by gregs1020
actually i was renowned for handing the good stuff out to people, even kids. PRS, Gibson whatever.

some of the kids had wealthy grandparents. so when the kid begs for 6 months and xmass comes around. cha-ching.

but i made sure they sat and played, and only through a good amp.

i've got ninja powers when it comes to sales.

have you ever sold a spider?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I always lol at these kind of threads. In Oz what you see is what you get unless it's some starter strat they have dozens of EVERY guitar is sold off the rack there is no back room with more haha
I wouldn't personally pay full price for a guitar on display, when I got my guitar I got them to take $40 off. I've seen far too many kids treat even expensive guitars with no respect.

Especially floyd roses. Not sure if it's just my area but NO ONE knows how floyd roses work (except the obvious people). I mean every guitar that I played with a floyd rose at the store, it was pretty obvious some kid tried to tune it to drop D by just turning the fine tuner on the low E (not realizing the consequences), then turning every other fine tuner until they fall out.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by OliOsbourne
have you ever sold a spider?

not the III or IV but...

i did sell a few spider valves, combos or heads. i like that amp myself.
Quote by gregs1020
not the III or IV but...

i did sell a few spider valves, combos or heads. i like that amp myself.

cool

I would only sell a spider to the 13 year olds
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This thread is adorable

For some reason, I had to sig this.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Buy used than pretty much the same amount of 16 yar olds + the owner played it... Its only one more person, but at a better price. What im saying is almost any guitar in a shop that isnt in the box is going to be played. What gives you the right over anyone else to "try" a guitar?
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Aug 3, 2011,
This is the greatest thread ever.
To be nice I just won't add my own personal opinion.

But a) Man up
b) Your such a douche if your worried about that shit and are upset enough to cry about it on an online forum. As everyone has stated it is as simple as asking that shop for a new one.

Musical instruments are one type of thing that when people go to buy something they EXPECT a discount already. Would you expect that if they have one on the wall for $1800 and you wanted one new would you expect for them to go.... ohh.... sorry you want a new one... back to $2400. That doesn't happen, if it does :P find a new shop coz ur just dealing with douches also.
so then there is no such thing as a brand new car.

i guess you wont pay for a brand new car that has been sitting in s parking lot on the weather and possibly being test driven will you? oh but you wont pay for the show room model either because its the floor mdel and has been sit in 100000 times.

oh but you wont pay for it off the cargo boat because its been slammed around in a box for a week or two traveling overseas.

oh but you wont buy it from the factoy because 1000 japanese people were messing with it.

.....so i guess you dont own a car do you?
Quote by gregs1020
i'd like to see you order a porsche new in box.

you know the kid that washed it for you ripped up the back parking lot just prior.

lol

Or any other brand of car for that matter.
That's cool dude, someone has to buy the guitars that come out of the factory shitty due to minor almost unnoticable imperfections. We can't all just go test out guitars until we find one we like then buy that exact guitar... The rejects have to go somewhere.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I agree to a certain extent.

No one is forcing you to buy a guitar off the rack. But it is unfortunate that a kid who has been saving for a guitar for months or years can walk into GC with no knowledge, just a desire to start learning guitar, and purchase a guitar that is just absolutely beat to sh**... Missing locking nuts, missing volume nobs, etc. And the GC employee won't say a word, he'll just ring the kid up, hand him the guitar, and send him on his way.

Maybe some Guitar Centers are better than this, but that is totally what my local GC would do. They have straight up lied to me before trying to get me to spend more money.
Quote by Cloudeater7
I agree to a certain extent.

No one is forcing you to buy a guitar off the rack. But it is unfortunate that a kid who has been saving for a guitar for months or years can walk into GC with no knowledge, just a desire to start learning guitar, and purchase a guitar that is just absolutely beat to sh**... Missing locking nuts, missing volume nobs, etc. And the GC employee won't say a word, he'll just ring the kid up, hand him the guitar, and send him on his way.

Maybe some Guitar Centers are better than this, but that is totally what my local GC would do. They have straight up lied to me before trying to get me to spend more money.

Yes GC employees are generally dicks... However sometimes its to your advantage. I recently bought a strat and the guy was obviously pawning off a beat up strat on me because I said I liked strats. He was a total douche salesman saying all kinds of bogus stuff to make the sale... Including some free stuff. Turns out it was a Classic Player 60s model and worth almost double what I paid.

I'm in sales. In my experience salesmen that screw people over get screwed over. Salesmen that take care of their customers get taken care of.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 4