Hey guys, about to delve into the world of individual effects pedals. Was tossing up between this and the TC Electronics G-System but wanted a predominantly analogue sound. It will be running though a ENGL E670 EL-34 SE with 240W ENGL pro cab(vintage Celesion 30s), so I probably won't need a distortion. Chorus, flanger, reverb, delays, etc are all the go though. This what the current list looks like:

Chorus:
Red Witch Empress Chorus(analogue)

Reverb:
Strymon BlueSky(pretty sure it's analogue)
Nuenaber WET(analogue?)
Eventide Space(digital)

Delay:
Red Witch Titan(no tap delay though, analogue)
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy/Man(only one has tap delay)
Malekko Ekko 616(again, no tap delay, analogue)
TC Nova Delay(digital, lots of features)
Eventide TimeFactor(digital, lots of features)

Please list the effect(even if it isn't on the list, like harmonizer, overdrive, flanger, phaser, wah pedal) and what pedal you think has the best sound. Money isn't really an object, but I won't spend say $800US on a reverb pedal for example. Thanks heaps in advance!
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Aug 3, 2011,
Reverb: Eventide Space
Delay: Eventide TimeFactor / ToneCzar EchoCzar
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
the best reverb, is probably the eventide space.

the best delay, idk, i'd probably have to say a deluxe memory man. but, behringer makes a dmm clone for 70 dollars, and with a easy little mod, sounds exactly like the dmm.... so i'd have to say the behringer vm1.
Nice suggestions, from the looks of it, the Eventide Space is a digital reverb pedal?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
the eventide space is hands down the best and most versatile reverb pedal, but yes its digital.
Quote by 00_hns_00
the eventide space is hands down the best and most versatile reverb pedal, but yes its digital.

I remember reading digital reverb or delay was better when playing with distortion as it's less muddy, but I can't remember if it was reverb or delay, or both...
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Megadeth09
I remember reading digital reverb or delay was better when playing with distortion as it's less muddy, but I can't remember if it was reverb or delay, or both...

thats true to an extent, but a great analog verb or delay won't necessarily do that.

lots of people say digital reverb or digital delay is really stale, but thats not true when it comes to high end people like eventide.
You can engage a hi cut filter on some digital delay units and it knocks out alot above 4khz and it makes your digital delay more analog sounding as it takes that harsh edge off the repeats that tends to make them sound sterile. I use a pedal board delay and do that and it makes the digital delays more wholesome. The keeley modded boss delay has a hi cut and the vox time machine also has one.
OMG your gear O_O O_O O_O

*JEALOUS 134872395782937489723894782934798234%*

I don't know anything about pedals, but ragingkitty does, so listen to him
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Aug 2, 2011,
the best fx are the ones that work for you. this thread seems more like a Gear Page thread where it's all about the most expensive boutique stuff rather than what actually might work. for instance i've been through a number of delay pedals but the one i use is a cheapie without much in the line of features. my Detallab only has 325ms of delay but that is more than i need in most cases and the sound is very natural despite it being digital.
Quote by Tunder250
OMG your gear O_O O_O O_O

*JEALOUS 134872395782937489723894782934798234%*

I don't know anything about pedals, but ragingkitty does, so listen to her

Um, i think ragingkitty is a male. Well, at least that's what he's listed as in his profile.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by monwobobbo
the best fx are the ones that work for you. this thread seems more like a Gear Page thread where it's all about the most expensive boutique stuff rather than what actually might work. for instance i've been through a number of delay pedals but the one i use is a cheapie without much in the line of features. my Detallab only has 325ms of delay but that is more than i need in most cases and the sound is very natural despite it being digital.

please, its obvious he's rolling in dough. so might as well buy the best. but i do agree, which is why i advised both a 500$ pedal, and a 100$ clone.
Quote by 00_hns_00
please, its obvious he's rolling in dough. so might as well buy the best. but i do agree, which is why i advised both a 500$ pedal, and a 100$ clone.

maybe, but he also has said nothing about what he plays or what his actual needs are. if you for instance are playing Stray Cats stuff then you really just need a slap back echo and don't need a top of the line TC Electronics system. right tools for the job. this is my point, this thread is way to general at this point.
Quote by kutless999
Um, i think ragingkitty is a male. Well, at least that's what he's listed as in his profile.

corrected xDD

sorry kitty x)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
To be more specific, I'm not getting these pedals to sound like a particular artist or band. I want to record my own stuff, but want the best products to help me to that
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Have narrowed it down to the following:

Chorus:

Reverb:
Nuenaber WET(analogue?)
Eventide Space(digital)

Delay:

Still looking at flanger, maybe phaser etc. Any suggestions or feedback on the above??
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
try looking at effectrode pedals, they do an amazing phaser and a pretty good chorus. generally i find the best way to find good pedals is to youtube one pedal and then look at the suggested videos at the side. proguitarshop demos are probably the best, and they feature a lot of high end pedals

the best flanger i;ve heard was the ibanez airplane flanger for cool over the top effects. it's not too expensive either, hell if anything it's probably a little cheap for your tastes
Last edited by teh_goon at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
try looking at effectrode pedals, they do an amazing phaser and a pretty good chorus. generally i find the best way to find good pedals is to youtube one pedal and then look at the suggested videos at the side. proguitarshop demos are probably the best, and they feature a lot of high end pedals

the best flanger i;ve heard was the ibanez airplane flanger for cool over the top effects. it's not too expensive either, hell if anything it's probably a little cheap for your tastes

Thanks for the suggestions Oh yeah, I have a list of pedals which I will weed out, might take a little while, but will be worth it
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Tunder250
corrected xDD

sorry kitty x)

Sigh...

I guess it'll go away eventually

Anyway, yes I agree with mon on the right tools for the right job, but if the TS has the money to burn, that's carte blanche to recommend the most expensive hear available.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Megadeth09
To be more specific, I'm not getting these pedals to sound like a particular artist or band. I want to record my own stuff, but want the best products to help me to that

don't waste your time with a bunch of pedals if you want to record then get the Fractial Audio Systems, Axe-FX Ultra and be done with it. might as well invest in Pro-Tools (whatever the latest dedition is) for recording and you will have the best setup around for your guitar and recording needs.
All the reverbs on your list are digital. The only analog reverbs you'll find are spring reverbs like the Sole-mate or those huge units like the Fender one, or plate reverbs. Pretty much every pedal reverb is digital. Also I'm pretty sure the Red Witch Titan is digital too.

Not that it matters though, just wanted to let you know.

Look at these pedals too:
Chorus:
JAM Waterfall
Analogman Chorus

Reverb:
You have pretty much the 3 best reverbs listed. Your choice depends on what you need. If you need like every possible reverb sound under the sun take the Space. If you just want good reverb and no bells or whistles, take the WET. If you want to go somewhere in between (also price-wise) take the BlueSky

Delay:
Strymon El Capistan/Brigadier or the TimeLine II
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (analog)
Eventide Time Factor
Quote by Megadeth09
Have narrowed it down to the following:

Chorus:

Reverb:
Nuenaber WET(analogue?)
Eventide Space(digital)

Delay:

Still looking at flanger, maybe phaser etc. Any suggestions or feedback on the above??

Strymon is all digital.
the Wet is digital.

from what i can see you're leaning to analogue because of the bandwagon. The three reverbs you listed are all digital, doesn't make it bad, in fact digital reverb > analog if you ask me, much more usable.

I'd go like this:
Reverb: Space
Delay: Strymon Timeline
Chorus: Cmatmods Water Box
Flanger: Jack Deville Zero
Chorus and Flanger in one box: TCE Chorus Flanger.
Phaser: Blackout FX Whetstone, or a vintage Small Stone
Quote by monwobobbo
don't waste your time with a bunch of pedals if you want to record then get the Fractial Audio Systems, Axe-FX Ultra and be done with it. might as well invest in Pro-Tools (whatever the latest dedition is) for recording and you will have the best setup around for your guitar and recording needs.

I want to do it the old school way though, with tube amps and pedals, mic'ed up. I don't like everything to be digital
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Thanks for chiming in WtrPlyr and Stykerwolf I will take your suggestions into account. Feel free to add more or critique my current selection.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by stykerwolf
if you get the Timeline, i don't think you will need reverb, the Timeline II should cover everything time based except phaser and flanger

Oh, also check out the Fromel Seraph, it's a really solid chorus pedal

Will definitely look into it I checked out the Sole-Mate analogue reverb, you are right, very limited indeed.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Aug 3, 2011,
Just recommending you take a look at the Empress super delay as an option.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Megadeth09
I want to do it the old school way though, with tube amps and pedals, mic'ed up. I don't like everything to be digital

a lot of pro players that are known for their tube sound have praised this unit as being great.

how are you going to do your recording? i can tell you now that if you aren't in a real studio that spending a ton of money on top of the line fx will be a waste. you can get the same results with decent (but not god awefully expensive) pedals.
i personally love my pedals, the delay is amazing for the price
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by monwobobbo
a lot of pro players that are known for their tube sound have praised this unit as being great.

how are you going to do your recording? i can tell you now that if you aren't in a real studio that spending a ton of money on top of the line fx will be a waste. you can get the same results with decent (but not god awefully expensive) pedals.

Just going to mic up the ENGL E670 to my laptop using a Shure SM57. It's just to get some songs together for now. Later on might hire a proper studio. I wouldn't even know how to use the AXE-FX, does it pretty much replace the amp head as it has a pre-amp and effects processor? Would you still need a cabinet?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Megadeth09
Just going to mic up the ENGL E670 to my laptop using a Shure SM57. It's just to get some songs together for now. Later on might hire a proper studio. I wouldn't even know how to use the AXE-FX, does it pretty much replace the amp head as it has a pre-amp and effects processor? Would you still need a cabinet?

yes the Axe-Fx would replace all of your gear and would be a direct signal instead of going through a cab.

i'll say htis again just recording with a mic into your computer doesn't requier a bunch of high end stuff and you may be disappointed with the results. unless you have a really good program to work with and a great sound card then you will be limited soundwise and probably won't be able topick up the more subtle sounds that all the high end pedals etc you want to use produce.