Ok so.
Now I did another song trying to find the key centers.
This time with Ace Frehley's Rip it out.
I just want to check if I can hear the thingy resolve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2sMi8mtE_s
Mommy there is a clown on the photo!
No there is ****ing not it's Ace Frehley from Kiss.
Enough jibblejabble now.
The first part is in I think Eb.
Then they come to the chorus that goes like :rip it out, that's my heart.
She wanted it.....
This one was pretty hard for me.
I think it is in Gb, I'm not so sure about this one.
And if I have this straight and down could someone here just write some chords down that couldn't possibly fit in any scale and that I need to try and figure out the key center?\
EDIT: I forgot the part right before the solo, I think that that one is in Eb.
EDIT2:Forgot to mention the big picture which is Eb.
EDIT3:Song structure:
First part:
Eb5---|Db5-C/Db5-|Ab5-Ab5-Bb5|Ab5-Bb5|Repeat repeapt etc.
Chorus:
Db5-B5|Gb5-E5 slide Gb5|repeat repeat etc.Part before solo:
I think this is in something else then regular 4/4 I think it's 9/4 with 1 part of 4 and then at the rest there comes a drum fill with 5 measures
Db5 D5 Eb5 Eb5|rest|Repeat repeat repeat|

At the solo He falls back to the first part
Last edited by liampje at Aug 2, 2011,
Can't listen to the song at work... .

Quote by liampje
And if I have this straight and down could someone here just write some chords down that couldn't possibly fit in any scale and that I need to try and figure out the key center?\

It doesn't quite work like that. Yesterday there was a thread (that you may have started) that involved a Eb - Ab - Bb type progression. While it looks like a simple I - IV - V, it could be properly resolved on any of the chords:

Eb: I - IV - V
Bb: IV - bVII - I (I mentioned this one on your Mixolydian-type thread earlier)
Ab: V - I - V/V

You'll need a proper context to work this stuff out. You really just need to keep doing what you're doing: listening to songs and attempting to figure out the resolution.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by MikeDodge
Your best be is to show us the songs chord progression, in measure format like...

| A | D | E | G | etc...

measure by measure.

The tonal center of that progression if there is no context is D major with E as a major chord which is borrowed from the harmonic minor scale.
BTW the structure is now in EDIT3!
Quote by liampje
The tonal center of that progression if there is no context is D major with E as a major chord which is borrowed from the harmonic minor scale.
BTW the structure is now in EDIT3!

Or is it a I - IV - V - bVII in A?

Or a IV - bVII - I - III in E?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
Or is it a I - IV - V - bVII in A?

Or a IV - bVII - I - III in E?

Damnit!
Could you check the song structure now?
Quote by liampje

I think this is in something else then regular 4/4 I think it's 9/4 with 1 part of 4 and then at the rest there comes a drum fill with 5 measures

I'm afraid it's just all 4/4
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
I'm afraid it's just all 4/4

It doesn't sound like 4/4 to me.
EDIT:Try ticking your hands on the desk when the part before the solo comes.
Start ticking at 1:42 and tap through the drum fills untill the solo comes.
EDIT2:Nevermind the ticking I heard it the second time he does the strumming faster.
Quote by liampje
It doesn't sound like 4/4 to me.
EDIT:Try ticking your hands on the desk when the part before the solo comes.
Start ticking at 1:42 and tap through the drum fills untill the solo comes.
EDIT2:Nevermind the ticking I heard it the second time he does the strumming faster.

If you can't identify a song in 4/4 time, that is a definitive sign that you need to approach theory from the VERY beginning. I'm talking about knowing what a crotchet is here.

You're not going to improve without the fundamental knowledge.

You don't know what a resolution to a tonic sounds like, yet you want to be able to play over chromatic harmony and key changes? Start from the basics man.
Quote by griffRG7321
If you can't identify a song in 4/4 time, that is a definitive sign that you need to approach theory from the VERY beginning. I'm talking about knowing what a crotchet is here.

You're not going to improve without the fundamental knowledge.

You don't know what a resolution to a tonic sounds like, yet you want to be able to play over chromatic harmony and key changes? Start from the basics man.

I got confused because he played the second time faster then the first time.
EDIT:I'm pretty sure the first one is right.
Especially since I checked the solo and that one is in Eb.
So far no one has told me if it was right or wrong what I said in the first post.
Well I'm checking a steelheart song now, I think it's in the key of Gb major, at some point he throws in a b7 if TMVATDI reads this yes it's corny .
The structure goes like:
Ab5 Cb5 Db5 E5 Gb5 E5 E5 Gb5 Gb5 Ab5 repeat.
That's the intro and the chorus.
Then there is a pre chorus I guess it's called like that.
Which goes like this.
Db5 Eb5 E5 Gb5
And there is a pre solo I think it's called like that, because it's before the solo.
Ab5 Bb5 B5 Db5 repeat.
THen that section will lead us to the solo.
Db5 Db5 E5 Gb5 Ab5 Bb5 B5 Db5 Db5 E5 Gb5.
And those are all the progressions.
The song is steelheart-Can't stop me loving you.
Yeah okay... the answer is : You're wrong.

Now its for you to go back and get a teacher or go learn by yourself where you are wrong and why. We aren't your teacher. Maybe a study of theory in a way that doesnt leave you with years worth of gaps, is a good start.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Yeah okay... the answer is : You're wrong.

Now its for you to go back and get a teacher or go learn by yourself where you are wrong and why. We aren't your teacher. Maybe a study of theory in a way that doesnt leave you with years worth of gaps, is a good start.

Best,

Sean

Wrong on what the Eb part or the Gb part?
I think I hear a key change... Not a long one but definitely to my ears, and eyes I see key change.

I think this is too complicated for you, since you didnt pick up on the modulation. Stick to your level, dont just find songs you like, Find diatonic songs first, and learn those. Then go learn Modulations and how to recognize them. Then go try something else.

I think this is beyond your level.

Sean