I play a range of styles,
Blues, Metal (Rhythm + lead), Rock, and even jazz, when I feel like it.
But I want a guitar that will sound great playing all those styles, so I want to try mixing a few pick ups on the same guitar, to produce a versatile instrument.

Thing is, I have no idea about pick ups from a techincal point of view i.e. what works with what, how they change the sound, etc.

I have a fender HSS strat, alder body, so there's 3 pups to play with here.

Any suggestions are welcome
high(er) output bridge humbucker (a PAF PRO, ToneZone, JB) then a vintage single coil in the middle. then a PAF style stacked humbucker in the neck. combined with a 5 way switch, you can get pretty much any tone you can think of.

also, don't negate the effectiveness of the amp's EQ. roughly, Pickups are only about 25% of your tone, the other 25% are the body woods, and the rest is the amp.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by AnonymousNoob
I play a range of styles,
Blues, Metal (Rhythm + lead), Rock, and even jazz, when I feel like it.
But I want a guitar that will sound great playing all those styles, so I want to try mixing a few pick ups on the same guitar, to produce a versatile instrument.

Thing is, I have no idea about pick ups from a techincal point of view i.e. what works with what, how they change the sound, etc.

I have a fender HSS strat, alder body, so there's 3 pups to play with here.

Any suggestions are welcome

no matter what you do the best you can get is a jack of all trades. what's good for jazz may not work for metal , what works for meta lmay not be ideal for rock etc.

i'd prioritize my sounds and aim for that, a few compromises will be needed. i'd go for a medium output humbucker in the bridge that will do rock and metal (this won't be ideal for the really heavy modern metal but as i said some compromises are needed) and get perhaps some noiseless pickups for the middle and neck positions. are you going to solo on the neck much?
Quote by monwobobbo
i'd prioritize my sounds and aim for that, a few compromises will be needed. i'd go for a medium output humbucker in the bridge that will do rock and metal (this won't be ideal for the really heavy modern metal but as i said some compromises are needed) and get perhaps some noiseless pickups for the middle and neck positions. are you going to solo on the neck much?

Yeah, I guess a few compromises are inevitable, but I guess my favourite style to play is hard rock to a sort of classical metal (the likes of Iron Maiden).
And yeah, I solo a fair bit
i'd go for something reasonably hot in the bridge (but not crazy), vintage-style single coil in the middle, and something slightly hotter for the neck, depending on what you use the neck for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dimarzio is great stuff. maybe an evolution or crunch lab in the bridge for some high output stuff, area 61 in the in the middle, and maybe an air norton in the neck? I'm not as knowledgable about their single coils so i just did a quick look around for em but dimarzio stuff really is great and i love their tone
^ I'm not much fussed on noiseless stuff, but I actually really like the dimarzio virtual vintages (though I should add that I've only really tried the older ones, the dp402, 403 and 404, which have been superseded, apart from the 402 which is still available, i think). I also think they're slightly better for higher gain playing, too, while still sounding pretty vintage when played with less gain.

Ironically I think I like them better than most of dimarzio's actual "true" single coils

I'd be concerned that an evo or crunch lab (haven't tried the CL, but it's meant to be pretty hot) might be too hot- personally I'd be looking a bit lower output than that, and probably alnico V (again for the versatility). I wouldn't want to go any hotter than a tone zone, and actually would probably go a little less hot than that (norton? I haven't tried that one but it's meant to be a good all-rounder).

However, in the UK Dimarzio stuff is pretty dear, and pretty dear even if you buy from thomann. I'm not saying not to do it if they do the sound in your head, but personally I think there are better value options which sound as good (if not better), or things which are only slightly dearer which sound much better. IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you think the crunch lab is too hot then i think the evolution would be a really great pick. its steve vai's signature pup. and if you look at his playing, he can go from searing hot (things like bad horse) to super smooth and creamy (like tender surrender)

i also want to add this cuz i think its great =) haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_7iRZzlSzI
i dunno, if you ask me the evo is way too "vai" (and I frickin' love vai). I mean i have the evo 2 (which is supposedly the toned-down evo), and it's very bright and not all that versatile imo. the evo's even worse
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?