Page 1 of 2
Guitar center is notorious for having less than knowledgeable employees. I have had quite a few experiences with them myself. I would love to hear if anyone else has gotten a good deal because of their ignorance. The reason I bring this up is that I was looking through their used section just now and I saw that they have a SR1000EFM listed as a SR705 which first of all is a five string not to mention that $450 for a SR1000 is a pretty good deal. I would buy it but im holding out for the walnut version. Look for yourself
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&srch&q=ibanez%20sr&distance=100&sort=0&dir=desc
One guy was trying to hold back this 10 pack of strings for himself during a week where you could get 10 packs for $20 (i think). He went to look for them and came back and told me there weren't anymore that they sold out a few minutes before i got there. i thought something was up so i asked another guy and he was like oh yea we have one last 10 pack in stock (same place where the last guy went to look). On my way out the first guy said sorry he couldn't find the strings for me and I said oh no its fine.
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
I called CG and asked for coated strings. They said they
had a set of DR Black Beauties 5 string and they were
$19.99!!!

So, what tha hay, I went 20 miles to see these 20 dollar
DRs.

I got there and they wanted $50!!!

I asked for a higher ranking employee and he brought me
this dumbo who I had a previous run in with. I knew his
demeanor.

He said something, which was my cue. I raised my voice and
let go some unpleasant adjectives.

It took 10 seconds to get an older guy there to sell me a set
of DR 5 string for $20.

Warning, If I had been a young person not known in the store,
I am sure that that would not have happened.

I actually used old age to get what I wanted, plus I have an
established buying habit built up there.

Tabdog
^^customer is always right as long as he yells loud enough.

The reason I will never work retail ever again.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

You are right. But many times the reason
for the high volume is the employee involved.

But that's beside the thread's point of
getting it over on GC because of "less than
knowledgeable employees
".

I had the guy that said they were $19.99.

He admitted that he miss-quoted the price
over the phone because the strings were
on the wrong rack. (his lack of knowledge)

That ain't this old fart's fault.

They provided the trigger. All's I had ta do
was pull it.

You have to watch them old farts that think
they are right.

That mindset is one of the few perks us farts
get.

Tabdog
Quote by dullsilver_mike

I applied there because its a fact I know more than pretty much all of them about guitar stuff and I didnt get the job. Now everytime one of them shows theyre guitarted I dont acknowledge their presence
No guitar center's here.
I always get a discount in my local shop though.
Not taking advantage but, yeah...
Quote by tabdog
You are right. But many times the reason
for the high volume is the employee involved.

But that's beside the thread's point of
getting it over on GC because of "less than
knowledgeable employees
".

I had the guy that said they were $19.99.

He admitted that he miss-quoted the price
over the phone because the strings were
on the wrong rack. (his lack of knowledge)

That ain't this old fart's fault.

was pull it.

You have to watch them old farts that think
they are right.

That mindset is one of the few perks us farts
get.

Tabdog

Didn't say the employee didn't screw up and do you wrong. A store like GC should step up and make it right when they screw up like that.

I just don't think there's ever an excuse for customer tantrums. Anything you can get loud and abusive about, you can express calmly and politely.

@TheBrownPenguin

I wouldn't feel too bad, they definitely hire based on people's potential as a generic salesman (and how much they can fit the 'look" that store's manager wants to get across) more than as a knowledgeable musician and gear head. It's probably the smartest business plan based on how GC gets most of its sales, but it sure is annoying to get ignorant clerks trying to tell you they know better than you.

I've never had an opportunity to work such ignorance to my advantage Anytime I've seen something misspriced/mislabled, it has been marked up quite a bit above its worth. I have had to tell staff in the past just to get the used item I wanted at its usual used price--a used Boss ls-2 they wanted $150 for was the most recent incident.

edit* once I got a decent shape DOD FX25 for $12 at music go round. I think they thought it was broken and didn't realize the filter is notorious for being so over the top and finicky.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 2, 2011,
Never really took advantage of their lack of knowledge in some areas.

I just say, "Hey, I'm buying all of this sound gear from you; could you throw in an effects pedal for me?"

But that's probably more of a taking advantage of a business deal.

Love the Low end
I've actually never had a run in with a "less then knowledgeable employee" at GC, and I have 3 GC's nearby. The Lynnwood and Kirkland stores are about as good as any of the mom-and-pop stores nearby, and the Seattle GC is excellent IME.

I have seen a few used basses and amps get tagged at lower than usual prices because someone was way too conservative in evaluating their condition, but I've never had enough money on me at the time to pull the trigger.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Never taken advantage of employees but blew some misconceptions. Like being female in the bass section of the San Jose store and knowing more than the salesguy about the basses I was asking about.

Honestly, if it wasn't for an amazing NY style pizza shop just down the street from the San Jose GC, I'd probably never set foot in one. Going to GC gives me an excuse to go over the hill for good pizza.
Quote by tabdog
was pull it.

What does the apostrophe in "All's" replace?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
taking advantage would be the same as stealing. If the front door is open do you run in and steal the television? no.

once you correct their mistake, you can ask if it's ok and if they are any kind of decent they'll give it to you for the same price.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
taking advantage would be the same as stealing. If the front door is open do you run in and steal the television? no.

once you correct their mistake, you can ask if it's ok and if they are any kind of decent they'll give it to you for the same price.

It is not the same as stealing. If they make a mistake and you notice you pounce. Stealing would be walking in and taking it. Money exchanges hand, you purchase. If a company cannot be bothered to make sure that they are putting things up at the correct price or at least researching what similar models sell for you are more than free to 'take advantage' of that 'offer'
Quote by the humanity

Wrong....just.....wrong.

It is up to the seller to do their research, it is also their responsibility to make sure their inventory is labeled and priced properly. When you steal something, say a television, one party loses something and gains nothing in return, however in the case of taking advantage of someones laziness no one is left with nothing.
It is not your job to correct the retailers mistake, that's theirs, That's why they have employees.

One last thing, This isn't theft it's capitalism.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Don'tDon't know how it works in the US, but in the UK, price tickets are an invitation to sell. If the price ticket is deliberately misleading, then that can be a criminal offence. Most of the time however, it's a genuine mistake, and Trading Standards will side with the retailer. Think of it like 'Item costs £19, ticket says £15. The customer offers £15. The retailer then decides if they want to enter the contract under that term.' The ticket price myth is just that- a myth. If a customer gets pissy at me I won't trade. Simple as. If they're accepting that a mistake has been made, I might agree to meet halfway. It's a two way thing and the.customer is rarely right- most are surprised when they find that consumer law helps protect the retailer as well.

Hence why I don't get pissy when mistakes are made. It can happen to anybody. It's happened to me enough times. So no, I haven't taken advantage of guitar shops, or any shops. But I will point things out. I find I get much better service that way.
for a better example, this is like trading your pikachu card for a big shiny charizard.

just because they said yes doesn't mean its right, make sure they know all the facts.

In my experience, your integrity/moral fiber/idiocy impresses them and they either let you have it that price anyways or throw in so many bells and whistles at the normal price you may as well have ripped them off.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

what's morals got to do with getting a good deal? they screw you over with the constantly increasing price of strings and stuff, and occaisonally you get a good deal. it's fair enough
Quote by teh_goon
what's morals got to do with getting a good deal? they screw you over with the constantly increasing price of strings and stuff, and occaisonally you get a good deal. it's fair enough

Increasing prices are manufacturers and inflation.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by teh_goon

You obviously have no idea. As Chris says- manufacturers and inflation. In my line of work, manufacturers also have us, the retailer, contractually obliged to keep a minimum retail selling price. We can lose our account if we discount the goods. However, this also protects our margin so we can actually make some money. It is rarely the retailer that rips you off.
It's just how things work, if you went to a garage sale and saw a chair with a sticker for $5 and you said I'll take it, and the lady says "Oh I meant to put that at $20" you'd haggle or walk away. This is a grey area, but I'd side with Tabdog, he asked about a product, got a price, and drove 20+ miles, they made a mistake and inconvenienced him, they were at fault. Same thing If I had a craigslist ad saying I had a gibson les paul, and you show up to find a epi les paul special, you'd be pissed. These are stores not people, but it's the same thing. There is a very popular radio host here in town, who said early on in the recession, that companies are just like people trying to make money, his example. He went to best buy and haggled and got a huge flat screen for an upcoming sales price with an extended warranty just by asking the right questions and staying around long enough to show he was interested.

Edit: MY only thing I do at guitar center is argue about the policy that the floor model costs the same as the box model. I always argue that to the point of getting a discount. I'm sorry but I think of it like a car. it might not be "used", but it is used.
Last edited by askrere at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by the humanity
for a better example, this is like trading your pikachu card for a big shiny charizard.

just because they said yes doesn't mean its right, make sure they know all the facts.

In my experience, your integrity/moral fiber/idiocy impresses them and they either let you have it that price anyways or throw in so many bells and whistles at the normal price you may as well have ripped them off.

Your examples make absolutely no sense at all. If both people agree to the trade, and both are happy then how is it wrong?

Heres a real example. Lets say I'm selling a Jackson KE3 Kelly for 50 bucks, and I do absolutely no research on the guitar and someone comes along who knows the guitar is worth much more, doesn't say anything but promptly pays me the money and leaves.

Who's at fault here? It's mine, not the buyers. As a seller It is my obligation to research the price of my own wares, not the buyers.

I hate to burst your bubble but Federal law also agrees with me. If a retailers price tag says that an item is lower then the retail price then they must honor the price on the tag.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
Your examples make absolutely no sense at all. If both people agree to the trade, and both are happy then how is it wrong?

Heres a real example. Lets say I'm selling a Jackson KE3 Kelly for 50 bucks, and I do absolutely no research on the guitar and someone comes along who knows the guitar is worth much more, doesn't say anything but promptly pays me the money and leaves.

Who's at fault here? It's mine, not the buyers. As a seller It is my obligation to research the price of my own wares, not the buyers.

I hate to burst your bubble but Federal law also agrees with me. If a retailers price tag says that an item is lower then the retail price then they must honor the price on the tag.

Exactly, I used to work at Ikea and that happened all the time. One time someone put a group of mattresses under a price tag for $199, and they were supposed to be $399, we quickly fixed it, but we gave them to everyone who got one and confirmed it through us. On a funny note, one time my parents bought a distressed aka (relic'd) bedroom set at pier one, and the manager said "I'm so sorry it appears to be damaged" and gave it to them half price. So if you feel morally superior to let someone know it's cool, but it's legally ok to go along with someones mistake.
some of us are governed by the golden rule as well as the laws of our country. How would you feel if you were a store owner and you lost $100 bucks because some kid came in and moved a price tag for a joke, and the new guy didn't know it's price yet? If you missed rent by 50? got kicked out of your store because you got messed up by a customer so he could buy a chorus pedal too?

Even stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash aren't invincible. enough needles and the blood will pour. Then some charismatic guitarded know-it-all is going to take the job you are applying for (because guess what? he has retail experience), and it will bite you in the ass.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I did IT work with a local DA consumer rights division and its interesting how people misinterpret the laws regarding pricing.

AFAIK, in most US States a misquoted or mis-labeled item does not require the retailer to sell it to you at that price. There are laws against false advertising in weights and measures and laws against "bait and switch". Some states also have bar code laws where the price advertising on the shelf needs to equal the price scanned at the register, but this is not true in all States.

Most stores, if they want you as repeat customers, will either make a reasonable compromise or give you the quoted price. That's store policy in most cases, not the law.
Quote by the humanity
How would you feel if you were a store owner and you lost $100 bucks because some kid came in and moved a price tag for a joke, and the new guy didn't know it's price yet?

If he did move the price tag to get a lower price himself that's theft, and I'd assume doing it as a joke would be considered similar. Maybe businesses don't have to do it by law, but the ones I've worked for still honor it regardless, maybe some don't. Most will because let's face it unless you're companies flat broke, if you tell someone something is one price over the phone or in person, then ring it up and it's more that's unfair, which is very true in today's mega stores IE wal mart, guitar center, where everything is labeled on the walls, and there's a computer inventory database every few yards, and phones every few feet. Either way this arguments pointless people will be all shades of grey, black and white.
I agree. if 3 posts hasn't convinced us, we're just gonna argue for a few pages.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
some of us are governed by the golden rule as well as the laws of our country. How would you feel if you were a store owner and you lost $100 bucks because some kid came in and moved a price tag for a joke, and the new guy didn't know it's price yet? If you missed rent by 50? got kicked out of your store because you got messed up by a customer so he could buy a chorus pedal too?

Even stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash aren't invincible. enough needles and the blood will pour. Then some charismatic guitarded know-it-all is going to take the job you are applying for (because guess what? he has retail experience), and it will bite you in the ass.

actually i agree with this

my two cents are as logn as the seller is fine with that then by all means go for it but if you're simply ripping him off and he doesnt say yes for the sake of you then you'd rather not buy those huh? and after all even if you do cause you are low on money and this was something you couldnt miss on then what's the point of then coming here and saying Hell yeah i ripped that dude's ass taking hte advantage of his idiocy (not offending anybody at all in particular, just sayin you kow)
Quote by SKArface McDank
What does the apostrophe in "All's" replace?

He He he,

That's one I ain't figgered out chet.

Sometimes ussins here in Arkie Land talk kinda
like Larry tha cable guy or somethin like that.

Ussins is just tha opposite of you all's.

It could be used to show possession. As in;

How cum you guys got you all's hair in a dander?

But I just used it because I thought it would make

me L@@k intelligent

Tabdog
Quote by tabdog
He He he,

That's one I ain't figgered out chet.

Sometimes ussins here in Arkie Land talk kinda
like Larry tha cable guy or somethin like that.

Ussins is just tha opposite of you all's.

It could be used to show possession. As in;

How cum you guys got you all's hair in a dander?

But I just used it because I thought it would make

me L@@k intelligent

Tabdog
how bout jsut saying "how come you guys got all your hair in dander?
Quote by Vendetta V
how bout jsut saying "how come you guys got all your hair in dander?

it's an Arky thing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it's an Arky thing.

Besides, ya can't teach an old new tricks,

Tabdog
i don't know if this counts: I always buy the extended warranty, and I always wind up using it. I get a full replacement or gift card value of the inital item some 14 months after I bought it.
I always buy my amps new and they always seem to fall apart or blow up after 12 months. But I gig 150 times a year.
Quote by hamtramckmike
i don't know if this counts: I always buy the extended warranty, and I always wind up using it. I get a full replacement or gift card value of the inital item some 14 months after I bought it.
I always buy my amps new and they always seem to fall apart or blow up after 12 months. But I gig 150 times a year.

you're just well positioned to use it. 150 gigs a year will do that for you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Spaz91
I don't need to take advantage of guitar shops. They recognize someone who actually has an interest in the instrument and give me a discount.

Have you ever bought from a shop? Ever...?
I've bought a Stagg BC300, an Epiphone EB3, a Squier 60s Precision, a Fender Highway One Jazz Bass, a Warwick Corvette $$ and three amps from guitar shops. Admittedly a fraction of the basses I've owned.
Quote by GrStMyGn
Have you ever bought from a shop? Ever...?

it happened to me once at a best buy.

was super cool.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Page 1 of 2