Hey guys, I've been looking on the web and am trying to find a few plugins that are better than the standard garageband ones and free. So far I'm stuck on finding a good EQ (I'm looking for something like the visual EQ, but that gives you more than 4 points to control) and compressor (the multiband one is decent, but I'm looking for a good normal one). Does anyone have any they normally use that are any good?
Quote by Ih5g
try the waves bundle

Hopefully the wink isn't you suggesting piracy, and you're just joking about the price... I don't think he's after dropping that much cash for use with GarageBand

Anyway, TS assuming Garageband has the same basic plug-ins as Logic, Channel EQ is actually my EQ of choice 9/10 because of its frequency analyser... you don't need lots of bands to mess with, and if you do just use a few instances. As for compression, the Logic compressor is actually really good once you a) stop using presets and the 'platinum' compressor model, and b) start using it how you would an outboard compressor... in other words, learn how outboard compressors work (in detail) and apply it to the plug-in, including what compressor types (FET, VCA, Opto, VariMu etc.) are used for as Logic models the characteristics of these quite nicely!

Failing that, I like the Waves CLA-76 compressor, often followed by the SPL Transient Designer when using heavy compression, as I like to get back a little attack that way.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Hopefully the wink isn't you suggesting piracy, and you're just joking about the price... I don't think he's after dropping that much cash for use with GarageBand

Anyway, TS assuming Garageband has the same basic plug-ins as Logic, Channel EQ is actually my EQ of choice 9/10 because of its frequency analyser... you don't need lots of bands to mess with, and if you do just use a few instances. As for compression, the Logic compressor is actually really good once you a) stop using presets and the 'platinum' compressor model, and b) start using it how you would an outboard compressor... in other words, learn how outboard compressors work (in detail) and apply it to the plug-in, including what compressor types (FET, VCA, Opto, VariMu etc.) are used for as Logic models the characteristics of these quite nicely!

Failing that, I like the Waves CLA-76 compressor, often followed by the SPL Transient Designer when using heavy compression, as I like to get back a little attack that way.

If GB had all the Logic plugins, that would be fantastic... it gets the stripped down version of only a few of the plugins. Which is why I need logic, but being a college student.. yeah.
Quote by -Blue-
If GB had all the Logic plugins, that would be fantastic... it gets the stripped down version of only a few of the plugins. Which is why I need logic, but being a college student.. yeah.

You just made me open GarageBand up for the first time since I got my Mac in 2008 to have a look

Visual EQ looks usable, not sure how it sounds but it has an analyser (dunno if it's accurate though) and the four bands are at least controllable to a degree. I agree the compressor is a bit too basic for any use though.

Have you tried getting Logic with your college's educational discount? Haven't looked in a while, but when I got Logic Pro 8 with my Mac, I used a computer at uni to get the education store discount and it was something like £125 instead of £250 I think... is $200 too far for you to stretch to get Logic, assuming that's the price?

Failing that, Reaper is a lot cheaper and has some good plugins but I personally find the GUI puts me off and slows me down as I'm so used to Logic (Reaper is laid out a lot more like Cubase, which I don't personally like, than Logic in my opinion).

Edit: Can't check education store prices from home, but looks like RRP of Logic 9 is more than I remembered so probably talking closer to $300 for it with the educational discount :/
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I agree the compressor is a bit too basic for any use though.

Basic like this?

I would never get anything as basic as that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Basic like this?

I would never get anything as basic as that.

CT

Funnily enough, it is actually more basic than an LA-2A, and doesn't sound nearly as nice in bypass All the controls are sliders from 'low' to 'high' with no indication of what high or low actually are! And the metering is a mock-up of a VU meter with no scaling, and I imagine no accuracy.

Edit: See what I mean?

I guess you could argue you don't need scales, just use your ears to tell you what is what, but that's not very helpful for a beginner
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Funnily enough, it is actually more basic than an LA-2A, and doesn't sound nearly as nice in bypass

Somehow I hear a bunch of people going, "wha...??""

Quote by DisarmGoliath

I guess you could argue you don't need scales, just use your ears to tell you what is what, but that's not very helpful for a beginner

True enough.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.