Im looking for a good delay pedal under 200$. Real nice sounding... I mostly use delay to play stuff like buckethead's Big Sur Moon ( I use that delay setting and play with it alot).

I found the aqua puss for +/- 150$. Should I hop on this or do you guys have any other suggestions?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I'd go with the MXR Carbon Copy instead. It's an updated version of the Aqua Puss, designed by the same guy. The reason the Aqua Puss wasn't reissued in the first wave of Way Huge reissues was that Jeorge Tripps, who designed the pedals, didn't think anybody would ever want an Aqua Puss when the Carbon Copy could do everything it did so much better.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Malekko 616 instead of either of those.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Thanks guys. Dida bit of research.

Forget the 616, can't find one. Not even on ebay.

As for the MXR carbon, from what I read people seem to be saying:

Which do you prefer: sparkly blue or sparkly green?

I guess they must be extremely similar. I read the Aqua puss has a much better sounding slapback delay, but the CC was better for long space echoes?

If thats the case I'd hop onto the Aqua puss, since I only like fast slapback delays that make anything sound cool
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie

I guess they must be extremely similar. I read the Aqua puss has a much better sounding slapback delay, but the CC was better for long space echoes?

If thats the case I'd hop onto the Aqua puss, since I only like fast slapback delays that make anything sound cool

$150, boom.

http://malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php/all-effects-pedals/ekko
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Look into the Line 6 DL-4, you'll be able to get Buckethead tones easily with it (and I'm pretty sure he used a DL-4 at one point), also it's a very versatile delay with 16 modes. If you strictly want an analog delay check out the 616 as suggested.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
Look into the Line 6 DL-4, you'll be able to get Buckethead tones easily with it (and I'm pretty sure he used a DL-4 at one point), also it's a very versatile delay with 16 modes. If you strictly want an analog delay check out the 616 as suggested.

Came in to say this
The Carbon Copy may share roots with the Aqua Puss but because of the changes sounds fairly different. The repeats are darker and it's a bit noisier (still very acceptable though) because of the longer delay time and different filtering on the repeats. Sounds pretty nice on its own but doesn't do good in a mix IMO. The Aqua Puss is fairly bright for an analog delay and doesn't have as much headroom in my experience. It stands out in a mix better though.

The Malekko Ekko 616 kind of combines the best of both. The repeats are warmer than the Aqua Puss but brighter than the Carbon Copy and it's modulation is more lush than the Carbon Copy. Noise floor is about the same as the Carbon Copy and it's got about the same amount of headroom. Also has buffered/true bypass switch if you're interested in that.

But, over anything else sub $449 for a Timeline, I'd grab a TC Electronics Flashback for $169 new. Does all the delay sounds most people want and it does them very nicely. Plus you can download extra Toneprints (only 1 at a time though) that are made by artists in collaboration with TC. Only downside is it doesn't have tap tempo but neither do the Aqua Puss or Carbon Copy. And batteries last approximately 3 minutes due to the high current draw but you've gotta be crazy to use a battery with a delay, digital in particular. I really can't say enough about the Flashback though. If I didn't grab a Timeline when they were released, I never would have sold mine.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks guys i'll listen to some demo's of the 616
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
I have the 616, great delay, and lots of fun too.

However for that Big Sur Moon kinda sound, to get the right speed/settings, would you want a tap tempo of sorts? Was that song using dotted 8ths? A delay with tap tempo would make those sort of timings a lot easier, especially if it had a dotted 8th setting.

However most tap delays are digital, unless you go really high end (or wait for the Malekko 919, if it ever comes out haha).
There is also the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy, but i really didn't like the sound of it when i tried it out.
Malekko is by far the best sounding delay I have ever played period!

EDIT : The GC I work at is stocking the 616 so if you end up interested in it. Shoot me a message!
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Aug 3, 2011,
I'm really impressed with the TC flashback, had it a couple of weeks. The 2290, analogue and modulation modes are spot on. The 'audio tap tempo' is handy aswell. You would have to spend alot more to get better IMO.

At the very least you should check out the demo video on YouTube, its very good.
Quote by bluezombie

Try PGS or ToneFactor. Also look at a Lo-Fi 616.
Quote by mmolteratx
The Carbon Copy may share roots with the Aqua Puss but because of the changes sounds fairly different. The repeats are darker and it's a bit noisier (still very acceptable though) because of the longer delay time and different filtering on the repeats. Sounds pretty nice on its own but doesn't do good in a mix IMO. The Aqua Puss is fairly bright for an analog delay and doesn't have as much headroom in my experience. It stands out in a mix better though.

The Malekko Ekko 616 kind of combines the best of both. The repeats are warmer than the Aqua Puss but brighter than the Carbon Copy and it's modulation is more lush than the Carbon Copy. Noise floor is about the same as the Carbon Copy and it's got about the same amount of headroom. Also has buffered/true bypass switch if you're interested in that.

But, over anything else sub $449 for a Timeline, I'd grab a TC Electronics Flashback for $169 new. Does all the delay sounds most people want and it does them very nicely. Plus you can download extra Toneprints (only 1 at a time though) that are made by artists in collaboration with TC. Only downside is it doesn't have tap tempo but neither do the Aqua Puss or Carbon Copy. And batteries last approximately 3 minutes due to the high current draw but you've gotta be crazy to use a battery with a delay, digital in particular. I really can't say enough about the Flashback though. If I didn't grab a Timeline when they were released, I never would have sold mine.

I have a Flashback and it's a fantastic pedal. While it doesn't have proper tap tempo, it has audio tap tempo where you hold down the switch and strum your guitar to the proper tempo. The analog and tape sounds are very usable in a band situation as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by bluezombie

Hi everyone! Remington from Dunlop here,

Just wanted to let you know that you can get very similar tones to the Aqua Puss from the Carbon Copy by using a 18v power supply instead of a 9v.

The Carbon Copy can be ran at any voltage between 9 and 18 volts. Although internally the Carbon Copy is designed to regulate the voltage back down to 9 volts, it's not 100% perfect therefore it will be running at a voltage slightly higher than 9 volts. The increased voltage will reduce the decay effect and make the delay repeats increasingly more present/brighter, more defined/clear, and slightly louder as you increase the voltage from 9 volts up to 18 volts. Make sure to back down on the "mix" and "regen" knobs as the increase in voltage tends to make these knobs more sensitive.
Quote by stradivari310
I have a Flashback and it's a fantastic pedal. While it doesn't have proper tap tempo, it has audio tap tempo where you hold down the switch and strum your guitar to the proper tempo. The analog and tape sounds are very usable in a band situation as well.

Ya, but the strum tempo is a bit of a PITA to use quickly. At least in my experience. Maybe I didn't mess with it enough though.

Quote by Remington_A
Hi everyone! Remington from Dunlop here,

Just wanted to let you know that you can get very similar tones to the Aqua Puss from the Carbon Copy by using a 18v power supply instead of a 9v.

The Carbon Copy can be ran at any voltage between 9 and 18 volts. Although internally the Carbon Copy is designed to regulate the voltage back down to 9 volts, it's not 100% perfect therefore it will be running at a voltage slightly higher than 9 volts. The increased voltage will reduce the decay effect and make the delay repeats increasingly more present/brighter, more defined/clear, and slightly louder as you increase the voltage from 9 volts up to 18 volts. Make sure to back down on the "mix" and "regen" knobs as the increase in voltage tends to make these knobs more sensitive.

Very cool. Never tried that when I was borrowing one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Should I get the regular EKKO 616 or this one ?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Troof.

The Lo-fi looks and sounds freaking eargasmic.

Remmington, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll let my friend know who had issues with his Carbon Copy saying it was too "dark". So then theoretically, couldn't you "darken" up the tone and make it more lo-fi sounding by sagging the voltage in the pedal?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by mmolteratx
Ya, but the strum tempo is a bit of a PITA to use quickly. At least in my experience. Maybe I didn't mess with it enough though.

Typically I hold down the footswitch before a song starts and strum twice while the drummer is clicking the beginning tempo. But YMMV I suppose. Many of my parts don't actually require rhythmic delay anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by LaidBack

Remmington, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll let my friend know who had issues with his Carbon Copy saying it was too "dark". So then theoretically, couldn't you "darken" up the tone and make it more lo-fi sounding by sagging the voltage in the pedal?

This is true
Quote by LaidBack
Troof.

The Lo-fi looks and sounds freaking eargasmic.

Complete trial and error for every new effect circuit IME, analog pedals get woolier and darker with enough sag, but the "lo-fi" distortion might be unbearable at that point--a lot of circuits start to hiss and get unpleasant distortion rather than glitch out in an awesome way.

I put my home made voltage vampire box in front of everything, and very few gems aside from fuzz face and muff circuits actually shine through with glitchy goodness.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

I put my home made voltage vampire box in front of everything, and very few gems aside from fuzz face and muff circuits actually shine through with glitchy goodness.

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I was wondering if you could explain "voltage vampire box" and the benefits of using one?

Thanks
Quote by kidfixer
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I was wondering if you could explain "voltage vampire box" and the benefits of using one?

Thanks

It's basically something you use to knock down the voltage the pedals are receiving in order to emulate certain sounds. People like Eric Johnson and Duane Allman are known for using dying batteries or lower voltage batteries in order to get certain sounds out of fuzz and distortion pedals. Some pedals may just not work outright if they don't have the required voltage, but with others, you get a very interesting sound out of them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
It's basically something you use to knock down the voltage the pedals are receiving in order to emulate certain sounds. People like Eric Johnson and Duane Allman are known for using dying batteries or lower voltage batteries in order to get certain sounds out of fuzz and distortion pedals. Some pedals may just not work outright if they don't have the required voltage, but with others, you get a very interesting sound out of them.

YOU JUST GOT NECRO'D

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals