I'm wanting to make a cigar box guitar similar to this one I saw on ebay the other day, only the changes I'll be making are:

Tele style neck (6 string of course)
Non tremolo bridge (not sure of which kind, help me pick out one?)
Gold lace sensor pickups (color black)
Metal pickgaurd
Only one volume and one tone knob
5 way selector switch
Also I'll carve three bars out on the left beside the neck

The design can be seen below, my questions are, will I be able to wire it like that, or wil I absolutely need 2 tone knobs for strat style pickups? Also how big of a box would I need, because I normally see 3 strings, and I assume they're like that due to size?
Any ways thanks for any suggestions, here's the design:
Attachments:
cig box1.jpg
Last edited by JakePlaysGuitar at Aug 2, 2011,
Search for my Telefuente Cigar Box Project at this site for some direction. That CBG has a 3 way toggle on top. A strong hardwood spine inside the box is my way of building them. The neck, box, tailpiece screw to this block as well as the bridge sometimes. I notch the top of the box and inset the neck to the right height. Weight the box so the guitar is ballanced when you play. I've used brake calipers from the auto shop down the street glued down inside the box for that.
Search here at UG for cigar box guitars and find more answers. Good luck.
I'm still confused a bit, this would be my first build, first I've got to find a box rouchly 2.5 inches thick, 11 inches tall, and about 8.5 inches wide.
The longer the box, the easier to inset the neck into the box and get the bridge in the right place for proper intonation. A shorter scale lengh neck also helps. !!" is about minimum cigar box length. The Telefuente box is 13" long, 11" from end of bridge to end of box. Good luck.
One thing to keep in mind, if you are having trouble finding a larger box, is that you can take a smaller box and extend it with wooden wings, fins, whatever. Since you are looking to do a fully electric build, the size of the resonating chamber really doesn't matter, so that gives you some freedom. I have even seen guys glue two long&narrow boxes together (on the long edge) to form a single larger box. We have some informative articles on CBG how-to on our sites (www.cbgitty.com and www.cigarboxguitarparts.com), that you might also find helpful as a new builder.

Good luck with your build, and welcome to the great hobby (some would say obsession) that is cigar box guitars!
Thanks guys, but my main question is the wiring? Can I wire up a strat configuration with only 1 tone and volume knob? Would I still be able to do the 5 way selector switch that way?
Here are 3 of mine. The top two boxes were purchased from Micheals.Any craft store should have wooden boxes. ..
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Thanks guys, but my main question is the wiring? Can I wire up a strat configuration with only 1 tone and volume knob? Would I still be able to do the 5 way selector switch that way?

Yup, just like this: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_5w
I'm really liking the suport I'm getting from you guys, I never knew you could pick them up at micheals, you've just saved me a lot of time friend thanks! And I absolutely love that wooden tremolo bar you have there! Also thank you for the wiring diagram man! Will that work with laces as well or only a duncan thing?
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I'm really liking the suport I'm getting from you guys, I never knew you could pick them up at micheals, you've just saved me a lot of time friend thanks! And I absolutely love that wooden tremolo bar you have there! Also thank you for the wiring diagram man! Will that work with laces as well or only a duncan thing?

Idk, if the lace sensors have two wires, then yeah, on the SD diagram, the black is the hot wire, and gray is the neutral wire. Most single coils have two wires, so it should work, if not, it'll at least give you and idea of how to wire the pots and switch.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Idk, if the lace sensors have two wires, then yeah, on the SD diagram, the black is the hot wire, and gray is the neutral wire. Most single coils have two wires, so it should work, if not, it'll at least give you and idea of how to wire the pots and switch.

Thanks man, I couldn't find a diagram anywhere, I'll have a look at a lace and see if they have 2 wires.
The archtop style bridge will work well for this guitar, especially if you bolt it through the box to the strengthening truss inside that Guitbuilder mentioned.

As said above, get a short scale neck if you're worried about the size of the box so you can have the bridge in the right position, you should be ok though, it's only about 9" from the 22nd fret to the bridge on my Wilshire.
The light coloured box is 12" long x 9" wide x 3 1/4" deep.The scale length is 24.75".The dark box is 12" long x 8 3/4" wide x 4 5/8" deep. It has a 25.5" scale length.The steel base from the trem was replaced with a oak base.The steel trem arm is wrapped in oak.If you are doing a 6 string you know you have to reinforce inside the box. I don't have pics on the computer but I'll see if I can take some pics of the insides. The light brown guitar has piezos for pickups and in sounds incredible.