There's this cool technique I've heard that Alexi Laiho does by lifting his whammy up and then releasing it. I haven't managed to get it yet, does my Floyd need to be adjusted for me to perform them well? A prime example is in the Bodom after midnight solo.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

i'm guessing you don't mean robben ford chirp

do you have a link to the song/solo in question? I'm guessing from your description it's some kind of gargle or flutter type effect, but i could be wrong.

EDIT: what floyd do you have? a lot of the more advanced techniques only really work well on high-quality floyds (OFR, schaller, gotoh, edge, etc.)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You mean the flutter? You need really stiff strings/springs, a very high quality trem and you need it set up so it doesn't have all that much room to move. Then you just flick the bar upwards away from the body very quickly once. The bar moves up then springs back down and if everything is set quick and stiff enough it'll bounce back up a little. It goes back and forth many times in a second and creates that flutter sound, what you call a chirp.

If your bar is likely to slip much or if you pull back on it too slow or if your strings and springs are just too loose then it won't flutter right, it more just wobbles or sometimes just goes up a little and settles right away. It's actually easier to do it with vintage style trems since Floyds and other double locking styles tend to be made to have tons of range and be easy to move. Also make sure you use the bridge pickup, the neck or middle pups tend to not pick it up so well. And if you don't have locking tuners and a good nut or a locking nut then be prepared for flutters to take your out of tune really fast.
I have an Eclipse, with an OFR.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

^ ah that should be fine

I guess take a look at that youtube tutorial which was posted?

EDIT: yep i took a look at the vid (his accent is awesome man if i could speak finnish the way he speaks english i'd think i were a total badass), and he shows you how to do it. You basically need to release it quickly, that's the main trick, so that it goes back to the "neutral" position under its own steam (potential energy converting to kinetic? ).

there are a couple of other ways you can do that, too- turn the bar round so it's facing the strap button at the bottom of the guitar, and then play a note (or harmonic), and then whack the bar with the edge of your finger or palm. You'll get the most flutter if you try to hit at the very end of the bar (remembering back to physics class with moments ). I guess you could also do it the way alexi does, by pulling the bar up and then releasing quickly.

Alternatively, with the bar the normal way round again, you can dive with the bar a little and then release it quickly (again the most flutter will be achieved if your last contact with the bar is right at the very end of the bar- I think I sort of slide up the bar to the end and then let my finger slide off it, which releases the bar), which again should give you some flutter. Both types will sound a bit different- with the bar the normal way, it'll approach the "neutral" position from below the note, whereas with the bar facing the end strap button it'll approach it from above the note.

Quote by grohl1987
You mean the flutter? You need really stiff strings/springs, a very high quality trem and you need it set up so it doesn't have all that much room to move. Then you just flick the bar upwards away from the body very quickly once. The bar moves up then springs back down and if everything is set quick and stiff enough it'll bounce back up a little. It goes back and forth many times in a second and creates that flutter sound, what you call a chirp.

If your bar is likely to slip much or if you pull back on it too slow or if your strings and springs are just too loose then it won't flutter right, it more just wobbles or sometimes just goes up a little and settles right away. It's actually easier to do it with vintage style trems since Floyds and other double locking styles tend to be made to have tons of range and be easy to move. Also make sure you use the bridge pickup, the neck or middle pups tend to not pick it up so well. And if you don't have locking tuners and a good nut or a locking nut then be prepared for flutters to take your out of tune really fast.

in my experience the exact opposite is true. lighter strings, not too stiff springs are what you want.

and i get way more flutter out of a floyd than out of a vintage-strat style trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 2, 2011,
Okay, thanks! This really cleared things up! Now I can annoy my parents to even higher levels.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?