Hey guys, my friend is making a game and asked me to make some music for it, so I'm gonna write some bass for it. He says he wan'ts it to be repetitive, but not get annoying. Does anyone have any tips for writing repetitive melodies? Cheers
Quote by valdean
Is the bass gonna be the only instrument?

Most likely. If I can get access to a drum kit, that'll be in there too.
What kind of game is it?
You can make some spacey stuff with a bass, and even more so with some effects.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by valdean
What kind of game is it?
You can make some spacey stuff with a bass, and even more so with some effects.

It's like an MMO I think, a lot of fighting involved.
You should take alot of influecne from old 8bit games, like Megaman and Metroid.

Also, Chrono Trigger has some excellent bass video game music.

Learn a couple of these old songs from 8bit/16bit video games, they are usually fairly simple and very catchy. Once you learn a couple, writing your own should be a snap.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
well, then find some interesting patterns and throw them in 16th note patterns with octaves.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Play doom and Doom 2. The music is catchy, repetitive and so damned cool.

Also Final fantasy games (I havn't played past 8 so i can't say after that) tend to have at least a couple of cool bass track per game.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Dont know if this is still helpful but i found this guy on youtube and remembered this thread. He's got a few hundred vids on his channel of video game music (mostly sonic) stripped down to bass and drums. Could be helpful
Write something with a simple catchy bass riff, and record it over some sequenced drums. Duplicate the bass track you've recorded and then drop the second version an octave and lower it in the mix a bit. Then speed the entire thing up to anywhere between 150-200% (find a sweet spot), allowing the pitch to be affected too, using a decent algorithm also (Reaper has a great one). Quick and easy way to get authentic 8-bit rock video game sounding music.
why not download a tracker program and do the music in there? or fruity loops or something? why just bass?
#DTWD