Page 1 of 2
OK, so I am not here to debate about buying a better guitar or a better amp. I am happy overall with the guitar, and I do not need a head and stack for my little ass house. I am just a hobbiest not a stage proformer.

What I am interested in is a pick up upgrade on my squire standard strat. I want to put ss1s in it. I have a vox vt15 amp. Would i notice the pick up change on the amp? or would it be a waste of money.
I would say upgrade the amp first and then go for new pickups.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The vt 15 is plenty loud enough now. Why would I upgrade it?? why would I buy an amp that I can't turn up past 1/4 of the way without basting my walls out. It doesnt make sense seeing that I would never get the full tone out of it anyway when it is at such a low volume.

I had a bugera v5 and it was seriously pathetic. It was the dullest sounding amp I have ever heard and I really wanted to like it. I had it for 3 weeks and made adjustments for hours on end before I sent it back to musicians friend. Another reason why I dont see how getting a different "small" amp would be any kind of upgrade from what I already have.
Last edited by jsspang at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by jsspang
Why would I upgrade it??

Because you asked our opinion

sheeees these threads....................are making me THIRSTY!

seriously, new pups thru a modelling amp is pretty much pointless. If you are set on your decision don't ask.

get a new amp. how much money do you have?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Because you asked our opinion

sheeees these threads....................are making me THIRSTY!

seriously, new pups thru a modelling amp is pretty much pointless. If you are set on your decision don't ask.

First of all, I did not ask about an amp up grade. The very first sentence of my thread said i am not up for discussion about upgrading my amp.

Second, your thought of new pick ups through a modeling amp would be pointless is exactly the input I was looking for.

THANK YOU!!!!
@311

TS: You upgrade because it sounds better. There's more to an amp than volume. Like... way more.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by jsspang
First of all, I did not ask about an amp up grade. The very first sentence of my thread said i am not up for discussion about upgrading my amp.

Second, your thought of new pick ups through a modeling amp would be pointless is exactly the input I was looking for.

THANK YOU!!!!

A thread with a title "pick ups vs amp upgrade" does sort of give the impression that you're considering upgrading your amp. But yeah, I agree with what everyone else has said.
Quote by Offworld92
@311

TS: You upgrade because it sounds better. There's more to an amp than volume. Like... way more.

SO you are suggesting I buy an amp this is beyond the range of anything I would ever use, just for the hell of it??? Yeah a nice marshall stack would be better... but IT would be a waste of money. I do not think the vt 15 is the end all be all of amps or anything. But I need nothing more then a small 5-15 watt combo.

So IF i were to buy a "better" amp... in that power range what would be my options that would give me a great tone???
Quote by Kahner
A thread with a title "pick ups vs amp upgrade" does sort of give the impression that you're considering upgrading your amp. But yeah, I agree with what everyone else has said.

I didnt mean it to sould like it does apparently... I was trying to say, would I notice a pick upgrade tone instead of an amp upgrade tone in very few words.
There are options between 15W modeling amps and 100W Marshall stacks...

Tone is completely subjective. You would have to fill out all of this for us to give you any serious suggestions.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by jsspang
Would i notice the pick up change on the amp? or would it be a waste of money.

Waste of money.

[/thread]
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
simple....

budget... 300 or under

genere.... id say alternative, JA, RHCP, Nirvana, john fusciante and dave navarro are my fav guitarist, but that does not mean I want to sound exactly like them

New or used....NEW

Home or gig... HOME

Closest city.... I live 100 miles or less from Cleveland OH, Pittsburgh PA, AND Buffalo NY

Current gear.... Squire standard (the pickups I want to upgrade) Parker PM20 pro with seymore duncan pups, vox valvetronixs vt15
If you're not willing to go used, I probably wouldn't bother with that budget. You're not going to get anything significantly better than your Vox.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
a little more info is needed. what tones are you trying to get and what were you using along with that V5 you had? the small inexpensive tube amps are usually very limited soundwise (by themselves)but are good platforms for pedals.

as for your original? you really won't because of the way modelng tends to work. i use a POD for recording and it doesn't really sound very different when i use my Vinyard Strat (60s style strat pups) vs my Strat Plus ( lace sensor pickups). they sound very different when plugged into my tube amp.
Quote by Offworld92
If you're not willing to go used, I probably wouldn't bother with that budget. You're not going to get anything significantly better than your Vox.

Exactly my point from the start. I wanted to know about pups not an amp. I guess I should have used the term "instead" rather then "vs" in my title.
Quote by monwobobbo
a little more info is needed. what tones are you trying to get and what were you using along with that V5 you had? the small inexpensive tube amps are usually very limited soundwise (by themselves)but are good platforms for pedals.

as for your original? you really won't because of the way modelng tends to work. i use a POD for recording and it doesn't really sound very different when i use my Vinyard Strat (60s style strat pups) vs my Strat Plus ( lace sensor pickups). they sound very different when plugged into my tube amp.

my pedals are pretty standard.... DS1, Tubescreamer TS9, and a WH-10 reissue. The only other pedal I would want is a chorus and reverb IF it werent already built into my amp. I would consider a new amp IF it would be some major sonic upgrade from what I already had.

MY V5 was just weak... no bell like tones, no crunchy overdrives. nothing. IT was just boring like a amp you would get in a 100 starter pack. What I like about the VT15 is the diversity and the fact it sounds pretty descent for just playing around the house.... maybe a speaker upgrade would be more what im looking for???? IDK

I was just thinking a pup swap would build onto the tone I already get from my amp. I mean alnico V instead of an alnico II would be a pretty big difference, wouldnt you think??
Last edited by jsspang at Aug 2, 2011,
why don't you go used?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
why don't you go used?

I am extremely Picky, and basically know from experience, people do not take care of their stuff like they should.

however, What would be some options I could get used??
You can find used VK112s for around that. I've seen Flextones for ~$300, and people seem to like those. Granted, these might be too big for your tastes. No idea how the used market is for smaller amps. You can get an HT-1 for 300 new, I think.
Quote by jsspang
I am extremely Picky, and basically know from experience, people do not take care of their stuff like they should.

If you get it from craigslist, then you can go over to the seller's house and look at it before buying. I got my amp this way and it performs really well.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by jsspang
Would i notice the pick up change on the amp? or would it be a waste of money.

No, not through a modeling amp. It would be a waste of money.

Now that the overall question is answered:

Being a hobbyist doesn't mean you can't want great tone. I haven't played in a band for a couple years now, but I still maintain and use my guitar equipment to the fullest. It's about what YOU want to get the sound YOU need. The pickups won't make much of a difference through your amp. There are plenty of small tube amps out there that you can take a look at, however. I absolutely love Blackstar's small 10 and 20 watt amps.
Quote by jsspang
my pedals are pretty standard.... DS1, Tubescreamer TS9, and a WH-10 reissue. The only other pedal I would want is a chorus and reverb IF it werent already built into my amp. I would consider a new amp IF it would be some major sonic upgrade from what I already had.

MY V5 was just weak... no bell like tones, no crunchy overdrives. nothing. IT was just boring like a amp you would get in a 100 starter pack. What I like about the VT15 is the diversity and the fact it sounds pretty descent for just playing around the house.... maybe a speaker upgrade would be more what im looking for???? IDK

I was just thinking a pup swap would build onto the tone I already get from my amp. I mean alnico V instead of an alnico II would be a pretty big difference, wouldnt you think??

as i've already said you won't really notice any real difference. the pups in my strats are about as different as you can get but they just don't sound the same thru modeling as an actual amp. i can get pretty much the same sound with either guitar using modeling. just the way it is and a downside to modelers (at least the cheaper ones)

as for your V5 not getting the sounds you want well that is a result of crap pickups. squier strats while fine beginner guitars have really cheap pickups that aren't going to give you glassy tones or stellar distortion sounds either. the modeling in your amp makes up for that in the digital world. in the real world whee tube amps reside then the better the guitar and ups the better your sound willl be.
Quote by monwobobbo
as i've already said you won't really notice any real difference. the pups in my strats are about as different as you can get but they just don't sound the same thru modeling as an actual amp. i can get pretty much the same sound with either guitar using modeling. just the way it is and a downside to modelers (at least the cheaper ones)

as for your V5 not getting the sounds you want well that is a result of crap pickups. squier strats while fine beginner guitars have really cheap pickups that aren't going to give you glassy tones or stellar distortion sounds either. the modeling in your amp makes up for that in the digital world. in the real world whee tube amps reside then the better the guitar and ups the better your sound willl be.

Gotta disagree with you there. My parker is the guitar I play most, and it sounded just as shitty as the squire.
To answer your thread title, an amp upgrade will be more effective than a pickup upgrade.

To answer your actual question, new pickups can offer a different sound, if that's what you're going for. Like if you want a creamy 60s Jimmy Hendrix tone, you may need and upgrade because you're pickups may not be up for it(that was just a random example).

BUT....you may look into an EQ pedal first. I recommend one, whether you have an amazing amp and pickups, or a starter package. This one is great and only $30. You can get a lot of control over your tone with an EQ pedal, much more than most people think. The 3 band EQ on many amps just isn't enough. You may try that before upgrading pickups because it will likely give you the biggest change in your tone.

Also, your thread title is very deceiving.
Quote by jsspang
Gotta disagree with you there. My parker is the guitar I play most, and it sounded just as shitty as the squire.

wait you have a parker and are bothering with a squier . ok well i've never played thru the V5 and am not a fan of the real basic low wattage cheapie tube amps. honestly you can't expect them to sound awesome.. the tones you've mentioned have all been made by far better equipment. a stock DS-1 will just give a sorry trebly tone and just shoveing a tubescreamer in front won't really give awesome tone either.

your current ampis designed to give you useable practice sounds and that's about it. get yourself a half way decent tube amp (the valeking was mentioned) and you'll see the difference.
Go to the store, and play a bunch of amps!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by OliOsbourne
If you get it from craigslist, then you can go over to the seller's house and look at it before buying. I got my amp this way and it performs really well.

+1

Play before you Pay.

jsspang - the major craigslist markets are 100 miles away but if you find a good deal and make a connection the trip may be worth it. Worth investigating. Quick glance on those 3 major markets gave me a good 20 amps or so that you might really like. Here were a few off the top of my head. Some were only heads and needed cabs and some were a tad over $300. Good news is they were all posted in the last several weeks which means there are things out there. Especially in a down economy.

I saw a:

Blackheart 15w - almost perfect for what you play
Crate V33 and Palomino 32 - again worth checking
Several Peavey Vypyrs (I bought my mine at GC for $315)
Line 6 FLextone
Peavey Windsor 100 half stack ( i know i know but it was only $400)
Several other Peavey tube amps
An old Gibson amp
Several Fender amps like a BJ, HRD, Princeton, Silverface Champ, etc
Blackstar HT5

bunch of stuff like that
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Blackheart 15w - almost perfect for what you play
Crate V33 and Palomino 32 - again worth checking
Several Peavey Vypyrs (I bought my mine at GC for $315)
Line 6 FLextone
Peavey Windsor 100 half stack ( i know i know but it was only $400)
Several other Peavey tube amps
An old Gibson amp
Several Fender amps like a BJ, HRD, Princeton, Silverface Champ, etc
Blackstar HT5

Offworld would salute to that!
Quote by jsspang

If your Parker sounds just as shitty as your Squire, then it's your amp (as many have been trying to tell you since this thread began).
No pickup upgrade will make a difference. (unless your switching from Single Coil to Humbucker or vise versa)
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
What is there to say? Peavey Vypyr (Tube)'s are awesome.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by grohl1987
Amp upgrade ALWAYS comes before pickup upgrade. No exceptions.

So if I have a $3000+ amp, and a $500 guitar that I really like the feel of, I'm not allowed to upgrade it's pickups to get a better sound out of it?

Darn.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
so the sollution for you is to buy a low wattage tube amp which will sound way better or a amp like the vypyr series with more watts but that are certainly not too loud for home playing. those amps will improve your tone way more than pickups will.

seriously you came here for advice about pickups and we tell you that pickups won't matter much on that 15 watt amp you got there so believe us if you want better tone accept our advice and buy a better amp .

buy your damn pickups if you want to but don't cry when you realise that it will still sound crap.

good low wattage tube amps were mentioned allready.
Last edited by AEnesidem at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
So if I have a $3000+ amp, and a $500 guitar that I really like the feel of, I'm not allowed to upgrade it's pickups to get a better sound out of it?

Darn.
Well obviously not, you're just being flippant. The point is if you're in a position where you're debating between upgrading one or the other, go with the amp.

Although I'd question why you have a $500 guitar yet a $3000 amp.
I know.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by jsspang

I had a bugera v5 and it was seriously pathetic. It was the dullest sounding amp I have ever heard and I really wanted to like it. I had it for 3 weeks and made adjustments for hours on end before I sent it back to musicians friend. Another reason why I dont see how getting a different "small" amp would be any kind of upgrade from what I already have.

yeah i mean a cornford carrera or a cornell romany plus wouldn't sound any better than your valvetronix.

granted they're extreme examples, but still.

anyway, back to the original question... ssl1s are pretty nice. I'm guessing you'd notice some upgrade in tone compared to the stock pickups, but how much, i dunno. It might not justify the cost, kind of thing, when you're using a modelling amp.

Just out of interest, if you're just a hobbyist (your words), why do you have no problem with forking out a fair amount of money for pickups but not an amp (or guitar)?

off the top of my head, a vht special 6, or special 6 ultra, may work, considering you already have a fair few decent dirt pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Just out of interest, if you're just a hobbyist (your words), why do you have no problem with forking out a fair amount of money for pickups but not an amp (or guitar)?
I've never understood this. People seem a lot happier to pay out the nose for pickups than anything else. Few people buy boutique pedals. Most people try to buy the cheapest guitar that meets their minimum requirements. They buy the cheapest amp that makes a noise. But they'll jump at the chance to give Bill Lawrence and Bare Knuckle all their money.
Quote by grohl1987
I've never understood this. People seem a lot happier to pay out the nose for pickups than anything else. Few people buy boutique pedals. Most people try to buy the cheapest guitar that meets their minimum requirements. They buy the cheapest amp that makes a noise. But they'll jump at the chance to give Bill Lawrence and Bare Knuckle all their money.

cause too many people think your pickups is what make sth etone and the amp just amplifies the tone that the pickups give.
Quote by grohl1987

i think it's because of those people who sell guitar tutorial DVDs online - self-distribution, because nobody else will do it for them, the shops sure wouldn't sell their stuff. i've seen so many of those guys telling people pickups are what makes tone and wood makes no difference because the pickups are magnetic, or the strings don't touch the wood at all, and all kinds of crap like that - terrible logic, thought up by idiots with camcorders. and people actually fall for it and buy that crap, sadly.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Page 1 of 2