So, I downloaded audacity a few months back, used it twice and wasn't impressed and hate the sound. I just cant use digital technology to record stuff. I was thinking of getting an analog set-up, an idea inspired by 'niandra lades...' by John Frusciante because I love the sound of that album.

Could I get away with getting a 4 track recorder, a mic and a fistful of tapes and how much would this cost?

Cheers guys.
you can find what was once really good cassette 4 track recorders pretty cheap. just be aware that they have some severe limitations compared to digital. the results willbe no where near what comes from a pro setup so in the end you may be disappointed. another option may be to get a stand alone digital recorder (i use a Zoom digital 8-track). these will give you better results than a cheap program on your computer. (see profile for some of my results)
What are you recording? Might be your micing technique, the interface and mic quality, or even the gear itself.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
What are you recording? Might be your micing technique, the interface and mic quality, or even the gear itself.

I don't have a mic yet, just using the line in. Its not the quality that bothers me the most. I like the idea of the old school minimalist approach over the digital option.
using line in will sound terrible.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
using line in will sound terrible.

Is the sound quality with a mic a lot better? Sorry, i've no knowledge of recording at all.

I also have problems with syncing tracks using audacity, is this fixable?
Quote by andrewphanley
I don't have a mic yet, just using the line in. Its not the quality that bothers me the most. I like the idea of the old school minimalist approach over the digital option.

the approach you are talking about is a pro recording studio which is a far cry from what you will have available. the idea is much cooler than the reality of trying to use a cassette 4-track. i did back in the early 90s and believe me the digital is so much easier and offers options that just plain can't be done with the tape version. have recorded in an analog studio which is cool but once again out of the reach of the average guy.
the sound quality difference between line in and using an interface with a mic is so far apart it isn't even measurable. it's like the difference in eating the best steak you could ever eat versus eating that same cow's feces instead.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Don't know if trolling.....

So many things wrong with the application/expectations.
Quote by tofuhead
Don't know if trolling.....

So many things wrong with the application/expectations.

don't think the OP is a troll just someone who has no experience. i read fairly often that (fill in guitar hero here) prefers using analog tape. the part that isn't really mentioned is that they are using a high quality studio for this. they also aren't using cassettes which is what the OP will be stuck with. just a case of sounds good on paper but the reality is very different.
I want to use analog recording too. What can I get cheap to record with? I know it would probably be easier to record with digital stuff, but it doesn't sound as good. I'll probably get an SM57 for a mic. What else would I need?
Quote by plexi123
I want to use analog recording too. What can I get cheap to record with? I know it would probably be easier to record with digital stuff, but it doesn't sound as good. I'll probably get an SM57 for a mic. What else would I need?

a 4-track cassette recorder is the most likely setup unless you want to spend realmoney and are lucky. a multi-track capable reel to reel would give you the best results but finding one that works and the tape may prove difficult and expensive. if you wne this route you'd need a seperate mixer as well.
i was gonna mention that monwobobo, no one seriously used 4 track tape players for high end recording. they were an invention targeted at the home user. the tape used in high end reel to reel used and studios and the tape used in cassettes were completely different with very different properties.

back in the day hardware was king. huge expensive units of preamps, routing, playback, monitoring, compressions, reverb, tape echo machines, etc.

today it is pretty much narrowed down to a good preamp and a good A/D converter. once it's digital it can be replicated, copied, manipulated, edited, cropped, and looped just but making a few pointers in memory and changing a few values in the signal all controlled by free plug-in from the internet. mind you, some are better than others and like any other tool available in recording you must know it's strength's and it's limitations.

here is something l made completely using logic as my DAW, made a some drum loops and used amplitube for guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/all/play1030167

but you can get much better results with mixing it up tastefully. like this is a mix of live playing and post layering with an 1/8" cord and converter plugged straight into the computer using amplitube.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play702960

of course, if you know what you're doing and have some access to buddy's then you can do track record stuff like

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play990705
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by plexi123

Unless you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend, analog will not sound better than digital. Low end analog recording gear doesn't sound good, and its a lot harder to use too.

All the big great sounding records that were recorded on analog gear would have been recorded in studios with hundreds of thousands of dollars in gear. Having a $500,000 for a custom Neve console build just for that studio wasn't uncommon at all.

Digital is a much better way to record. Editing is made far easier; editing on tape literally involves cutting tiny sections of the tape out and joining them together, editing on digital is click and drag, push a button, and the original audio file isn't altered either, so you can revert to un-edited versions with a few clicks. You don't have to worry about replacing tapes as they wear out either, you can record as much as you like, as many times as you like and you're only limited by how much hard-drive space you have.

Analog is also a lot more coloured, so it looses clarity and crispness. You can run a digital signal through analog gear to add that colouration, but you can't take the colouration out of an analog recording.

These days with a decent PC, for under $1000 you can be set up to record 8+ tracks of quality audio (not including mics) and its easy to learn the basics, so you can record your own stuff. Analog is great if you want that sort of sound, but it doesn't work for everything, and it costs a lot more to get quality sounds from.
Quote by monwobobbo
the approach you are talking about is a pro recording studio which is a far cry from what you will have available. the idea is much cooler than the reality of trying to use a cassette 4-track. i did back in the early 90s and believe me the digital is so much easier and offers options that just plain can't be done with the tape version. have recorded in an analog studio which is cool but once again out of the reach of the average guy.

I dont want to get one because I think it'll make me 'cool' at all. I just like the idea of recording my guitars' sound onto a tape and leaving it raw and unaltered because i like that sound. From reading the comments though, I'll look into a digital option, seems more accessible.

Btw, what's a good mic for recording guitar? I found this one, is it any good?
http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_e_822_s.htm
Quote by gumbilicious
i was gonna mention that monwobobo, no one seriously used 4 track tape players for high end recording. they were an invention targeted at the home user. the tape used in high end reel to reel used and studios and the tape used in cassettes were completely different with very different properties.

back in the day hardware was king. huge expensive units of preamps, routing, playback, monitoring, compressions, reverb, tape echo machines, etc.

today it is pretty much narrowed down to a good preamp and a good A/D converter. once it's digital it can be replicated, copied, manipulated, edited, cropped, and looped just but making a few pointers in memory and changing a few values in the signal all controlled by free plug-in from the internet. mind you, some are better than others and like any other tool available in recording you must know it's strength's and it's limitations.

here is something l made completely using logic as my DAW, made a some drum loops and used amplitube for guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/all/play1030167

but you can get much better results with mixing it up tastefully. like this is a mix of live playing and post layering with an 1/8" cord and converter plugged straight into the computer using amplitube.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play702960

of course, if you know what you're doing and have some access to buddy's then you can do track record stuff like

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play990705

good overview. checked out some of your stuff, damn they were long .

anyways to those thinking of going analog. good luck but unless you spend a big pile of money the results will be underwhelming and not worth the hassle of trying to make a cassette 4-track work.
Quote by andrewphanley
I dont want to get one because I think it'll make me 'cool' at all. I just like the idea of recording my guitars' sound onto a tape and leaving it raw and unaltered because i like that sound. From reading the comments though, I'll look into a digital option, seems more accessible.

Btw, what's a good mic for recording guitar? I found this one, is it any good?
http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_e_822_s.htm

digital is more accessable for sure. that mike is a good one but the shure M57 is pretty much the standard. personally i use a Line 6 POD as it just plain makes it easier. recording a live amp requiers a good sounding room which i just don't have. i have yet to be happy with a live amp recording here at home.