I'm looking to buy my first pedal, but I'm not sure what brand/ effect i should get. I play alt. rock/funk/punk. My amp has some effects on it like phaser, flanger and such. What kind of pedal should i get that wont have the same effect as on my amp? Money isn't really an issue.
Thanks for any help!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-vypyr-15-15w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp
^^^^^My amp^^^^^
Well what exactly are you trying to get? I got myself a POD X3 Live, and I love it, but many people dislike it because they think it sounds digital. You should check it out and see if you like it.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
I was looking at a few wah pedals but wasnt sure if it was really worth it. i also was looking into a killswitch.
A lot of guitar stores now have large stands with a variety of pedals, I highly recommend checking one of those out. I recently just got into pedals myself and checking one out was by far the most effective learning experience. The wah pedal is a great place to start I think, you can get a lot of versatility out of one, and its a great introduction to pedals in the way that you learn to physically manipulate the sound and tone, not just turning a knob or clicking a button.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I'd highly recommend an EQ pedal for a first pedal. I have a Boss GE7 and an MXR 10 Band EQ. Get the MXR!

what exactly does an EQ pedal do?
^ It allows you to shape the tonal frequencie's of your sound. You can make your sound more bassy, midsy, or trebley depending on how you set it. Also i recommend not just going out to buy a pedal jsut cause you want a pedal. Find something lacking in your sound and then find a way to improve it. Find something you want instead of just blankly spending money and regreting it later.
+1

That's kinda why I say an EQ is a good first pedal choice. It's something that almost everyone can use really. But what you need the most is something only you know for sure. An EQ can help with tone issues, when you can't afford a top line guitar and amp, it can be your best purchase.
Quote by fluffymuffins
I was looking at a few wah pedals but wasnt sure if it was really worth it. i also was looking into a killswitch.

I wouldn't get a wah until your collection begins. I play blues and a little rock. ALOT of Hendrix, and I never use my wah.

Check out the Ibanez TS-9 or the Fulltone OCD.

EQ pedals are great, but if you don't know how to use them they are pretty much pointless. I don't have an EQ pedal, and I honestly don't have a need for one.
Quote by fluffymuffins
i also was looking into a killswitch.

The same effect can be achieved with your pickup selector. Ask Tom Morello.

Seeing as the vypyr doesn't have an effects loop (correct me if I'm wrong there), I wouldn't recommend an EQ. Running in front of the preamp, it doesn't do nearly as much. Given your genres, I'd say fuzz, but I'm not sure how well a modeling amp would take that. Effects -> modelers is a general no-go, but in a pinch, it can be good to at least experiment with stuff.
Your first pedal should be a Tuner!
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Why do you want a pedal? Is there something about your sound that's missing? Or do you want one just to have one?

I'll be honest - pedals aren't going to play well with your Vypyr. That's not really the type of amp you want (or need) to be using pedals with.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Why do you want a pedal? Is there something about your sound that's missing? Or do you want one just to have one?

I'll be honest - pedals aren't going to play well with your Vypyr. That's not really the type of amp you want (or need) to be using pedals with.

I want a pedal so i can start to expand on my playing and experience. And i will be buying a new amp when i start to get a little bit more experienced and could use it more.
Quote by Picklelerner
A lot of guitar stores now have large stands with a variety of pedals, I highly recommend checking one of those out. I recently just got into pedals myself and checking one out was by far the most effective learning experience. The wah pedal is a great place to start I think, you can get a lot of versatility out of one, and its a great introduction to pedals in the way that you learn to physically manipulate the sound and tone, not just turning a knob or clicking a button.

great advice. i would definitely get a wah. it was probably the first type of pedal i ever used and it's still a staple of my sound.
Either a wah or an OD pedal is a good start. GC has a custom version of the MXR Classic Overdrive for $40. They are a bit hard to find but the latest catalog has a new limited editon listed. It's a good sounding pedal. You can hear it in the clip Black Cat Boogie in my profile.
Get the new amp first. If you get a pedal now, you'll probably be disappointed because it won't sound good with the Vypyr. The Vypyr has a ton of quality fx built in. What's wrong with those?

If you are going to get a pedal regardless of what I say, get a wah. It'll work the best/ be the most useful to a modeling amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Get the new amp first. If you get a pedal now, you'll probably be disappointed because it won't sound good with the Vypyr. The Vypyr has a ton of quality fx built in. What's wrong with those?

If you are going to get a pedal regardless of what I say, get a wah. It'll work the best/ be the most useful to a modeling amp.

+1 and you can always use the Wah in a set position as a sort of frequency booster
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
just to throw this out there, I tried to use a devi ever bit fuzz on the 15w vypyr and it sounded terrible.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I'd highly recommend an EQ pedal for a first pedal. I have a Boss GE7 and an MXR 10 Band EQ. Get the MXR!

This. Every word.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Hello All..

Which One Is Better For Me ?? DigiTech RP155 Or Zoom G2Nu Multi Effect ? Im Beginner.. TQ..
Quote by Acai89
Hello All..

Which One Is Better For Me ?? DigiTech RP155 Or Zoom G2Nu Multi Effect ? Im Beginner.. TQ..

Start your own thread and ask your question.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Offworld92

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Acai89
Hello All..

what amp are you playing on?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz