So I want to record some songs with acoustic guitar and vocals only. I plan on doing this with a Blue Yeti mic and Reaper. I've been looking for easy to use plugins since I'm very new to recording. I came across Waves' Tony Maserati's ACG Acoustic Guitar Designer and the VX1 Vocal Enhancer plugin. However to get them both It'd cost $150 and I'm pretty sure you need iLok too which costs like another $50.

Are there any other plugins like this that do that and cost less? Or some that are even free?

Acoustic Guitar: http://waves.com/content.aspx?id=8900
Vocals: http://waves.com/content.aspx?id=8896

Thanks
Those just look like EQ+compressor preset plugins which you are readily available anyway in most DAWs, I've no real experience in reaper but I can bet it has those functions already.

Acoustic + vocal recording is a simple, You do not need plugins.
Quote by adam02
Those just look like EQ+compressor preset plugins which you are readily available anyway in most DAWs, I've no real experience in reaper but I can bet it has those functions already.

You're right it is very simple compared to say a large band, but from what I've seen these two plugins add a lot to it all. It's not only EQ+Compressor but some of the buttons on there edit a chain of effects.
Quote by adam02

Do they have presets? Yes. Are they just presets? No. Do a little reading perhaps before posting about something you seemingly haven't heard of.

They are plug-ins where the parameters are tailored to the tastes of certain producers (in this case, Tony Maserati), so it is easier for beginners to get close to the sort of sounds they use. They're still great plug-ins for experienced people, they're just less flexible than knowing the individual steps to get to a certain sound, and doing it with individual plug-ins/parameters.

My biggest criticism of the Waves' Artist Series bundles are their huge CPU-usage, partly caused by the overly-detailed (yet admittedly, stunning) GUI. The rest is down to their attention to detail in emulation of analogue outboard etc. that the producers they emulate might use.

It's rare to find a commercially-available acoustic + vocal recording that hasn't at least had EQ, compression, de-essing (in most cases) and reverb applied - and in plug-in format, the majority of times in recent years.

TS: To my recollection, there aren't any others out there that emulate signature artists, but I'm sure if you have a look around on google for 'simple to use ____ plugins' you'd find some. You can also learn a lot by opening a preset your DAW has for a plug-in, listening to what it is doing, and then fiddling around with controls to hear what differences are being made.

I started off taking presets and then altering them to suit the track, and now am confident enough to start from scratch, and I suspect many other people do the same. Just read up on the types of plug-ins, and learn how they work/what they do. That should point you in the right direction.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 2, 2011,
Reaper can easily get you great results with its built in plugins and if you don't like them, there are plenty of free VST EQs, Compressors, De-Essers, Delays, Reverbs, etc. available. I own Waves Gold and while the plugins are great - You're not going to get anything amazing out of them until you learn how to mix yourself, the hard way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com