so just wrote this new chord progression that goes: Bm D G Em G A

i've just been using the aeolian mode and some sweeps, anything else that would fit over this?

Oh, and please include the theory behind why! i'm trying to better understand theory.
What you think of as Aeolian mode is simply the minor scale. Your progression is in the key of B minor. That said, the obvious choice is to play the B minor scale. You can try flavoring it with notes outside the key, maybe emphasize chord tones. Experimentation is the key.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
What you think of as Aeolian mode is simply the minor scale. Your progression is in the key of B minor. That said, the obvious choice is to play the B minor scale. You can try flavoring it with notes outside the key, maybe emphasize chord tones. Experimentation is the key.

are they not the same?
Quote by gunsnroses#1
are they not the same?

Technically I guess you could say so, but it's just overcomplicating things. Aeolian mode is used in modal context and minor scale is used in tonal context. Nearly all modern music you hear is tonal and based only on major and minor scales, not modes. Modes are not of much importance and require a profound knowledge of theory before attempting to study them. So let's just keep things simple
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Yep Fibo is correct. B minor all the way. Out of key notes can also be used, they're called accidentals. A common accidental in a minor (or major) context is the b5, which can result in what is referred to as the blues scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud