I currently co-own a spider III with my brother and its okay, but I need to get my own amp when I go to college. So what I need to know is how the sound quality compares to a Roland Microcube. I don't want to downgrade, so does anyone know if the cube sounds cleaner, and if the distortion isn't too muddy?
plugging into a donkey would sound better.

try a vypyr 15, vox vt15, mustang III....
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
plugging into a donkey would sound better.

tried this but it sounded like ASS.

ok you knew someone would make the joke
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
microcube is a good amp for its size and is a fun toy/practice amp..
The metal sound is well.. horrible but the rest is actually pretty decent for an amp of its size/price and probably rapes the spider haha.
There is the Micro Cube and the Micro Cube RX which is the bigger brother of the first.

I own and will get rid of a Roland Cube 15x and I replaced it with a Fender Mustang I which I received yesterday. What a difference in sound and possibilities and for almost the same price!
Now I didn't play a Micro Cube and I don't know how they compare to the Cube 15x, but I will avoid any other Roland Cube amps based on this experience.
I know I shouldn't judge the entire Cube line just because the bottom of the line sucks like hell, but then they shouldn't bring it on the market. It's bad PR for the others and it influences my judgement.
I don't expect a big sound difference between a Mustang I and III, only a difference of power and some features.
I expect the same from Roland. And if they basically do sound the same as their bigger brothers, then it is even worse because then they suck too.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by gregs1020

try a vypyr 15, vox vt15, mustang III....

+1

or, if you just need something to jam on (i.e. you won't be playing with other musicians)...look into a POD or line 6 UX1. With the line 6 interfaces you can use the amp sims on your computer
^^ to be fair, the 15 is pretty rubbish. once you get up to the 30/40 watt versions the cubes get pretty nice for higher gain playing.

though some of the newer modellers like the vypyr (which i haven't tried yet ) might have superseded it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
*reported*
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 3, 2011,
Don't quote ad bots when you report them. You quote the advertising link, too, when you do.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Oh, sorry. I've seen many other people do it that way though. But if you say not to, then I won't.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
if your looking for a modeler get a fender. either the mustang for more of a price point or the g-dec if you want more on board stuff. in my opinion, all other modelers just sound awful anywhere near this price range. the fender ones do it right. best part is the FUSE software. assuming you'll have a laptop for college, u can plug ur amp right into this free software and you will have hundreds of things right at your fingertips. plus, the g-dec 3 comes with tons of backing tracks and whatnot. i actually just recorded a song yesterday through the g-dec. the amp acts as a medium between the guitar and computer so we could go from the amp into the computer to use amplitube for the tone and then record with garage band.

g-dec is a great choice and you won't be sorry if you buy it
The g-dec definitely sounds nice but it's a little pricey for a guy just going into college without a lot of money to spend. I'm kinda leaning towards hte vox vt20+. It seems to be getting good reviews and only costs $170
I always recommend the Vox VT+ series to beginners because they have so many options that it will keep them going for a long time, besides the fact that you can try out anything you like, and so find out what style you really wanna go for with playing. The VT20 comes with programmable channels, effects, 3 kinds of reverb, tuner, and the overall sound is pretty damn good I think! It's also a semi-(i guess) tube amp, which gives you a warmer and more authentic guitar sound. Probably your best choice..
Quote by MR78
The g-dec definitely sounds nice but it's a little pricey for a guy just going into college without a lot of money to spend. I'm kinda leaning towards hte vox vt20+. It seems to be getting good reviews and only costs $170

if the g-dec is out of the price range just go with the mustang. it is pretty much exactly the same amp. the only difference is backing tracks and access to onboard stuff from the face of the amp. with the FUSE software, the amps are 100% the same tonally and you can use everything fender has to offer for both
Quote by monwobobbo
tried this but it sounded like ASS.

ok you knew someone would make the joke

i honestly didn't see that coming.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
okay thanks guys for all the responses, i will take everything into consideration and decide something in the next couple weeks. Thanks!