I want to put Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings on my guitar and play in standard tuning. I play an Ibanez RG5EX1, and i want to know if keeping it in standard tuning will ruin the guitar. And also, are there any adjustments I have to make?
it won't ruin it. You might have to adjust action/truss rod/tremolo due to higher tension.
Quote by gman128
Truss rod. Does that guitar have a trem?

Yeah it does. I believe it is one of Ibanez's Edge trems.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
you would need to probably adjust the truss rod and put more springs on the EDGE trem...why, though?
Won't hurt it. Like mentioned above, adjust your truss rod. Might have to raise the action depending on what string gauge/tuning the guitar was in before. SRV used 13's for standard E I believe.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
+get more springs for the trem - i reckon 5 springs will counteract the tension from the .11s
Quote by KorYi
it won't ruin it. You might have to adjust action/truss rod/tremolo due to higher tension.

How do I make the adjustments?
trem needs 5 springs. the extra tension might cause the neck to bow, so you'll need to tighten the truss rod (turn clockwise)
Quote by mmcool5595
How do I make the adjustments?

i have no clue how to set up trem/action on your guitar, for truss rod: you need to carefully tighten a little bit the screw at your headstock. I reckon googling a bit first cuz you can ruin your neck. Also before making any adjustments pop the strings on first to see what exactly you need to setup. The neck might not need any change at all.
Last edited by KorYi at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by KorYi
i have no clue how to set up trem/action on your guitar, for truss rod: you need to carefully tighten a little bit the screw at your headstock. I reckon googling a bit first cuz you can ruin your neck. Also before making any adjustments pop the strings on first to see what exactly you need to setup. The neck might not need any change at all.

Buy the new springs for the trem. Might as well buy some stronger ones while you're at it too. Open the cavity in the back of the guitar. Put the 5 new springs in. Change the strings. Tune up. Adjust the 2 screws in the back cavity until the bridge sits level with the body (tighten the springs and loosen the strings if the bridge pulls out of the body/loosen the springs and tighten the strings if the bridge lays into the body).
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by gman128
+get more springs for the trem - i reckon 5 springs will counteract the tension from the .11s

I use 3 springs with 11s and have no problems. But I tune down a half step, and it might be different on Strats than Ibanez guitars.