So whats the cheapest/best empty 2x12 cab around? Or cheapest/best loaded 2x12? I want to add an extension to my Ac15. I like the look of the Seismic cabs and at $170 seems decent priced? I wouldn't buy anything like speakers or mics etc from them....But a plywood box...
You can buy a speakerless cab from Avatar for like $250.

EDIT: also a poorly constructed cab could come back to haunt you. It would most likely be more prone to breaking. And I might be wrong but I think the wood used affects the tone a little
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
You can buy a speakerless cab from Avatar for like $250.

EDIT: also a poorly constructed cab could come back to haunt you. It would most likely be more prone to breaking. And I might be wrong but I think the wood used affects the tone a little

I wouldn't be against making my own, but not sure its financially worth it.
They make car subwoofer boxes for 12" speakers for less than $50 at your car audio store. It's not an avatar or an emperor, but it was a cool experiment for me.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by ktgmeasap
I wouldn't be against making my own, but not sure its financially worth it.

Sure it is. Baltic Birch (voidless) plywood is available at Home Depot. Get some 1x2 bracing material, some screws and you're done. Tolex would be about $50 (at least it is from my supplier up here) and grill cloth another $20 or so, and you have a professional result.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
Sure it is. Baltic Birch (voidless) plywood is available at Home Depot. Get some 1x2 bracing material, some screws and you're done. Tolex would be about $50 (at least it is from my supplier up here) and grill cloth another $20 or so, and you have a professional result.

"Professional result"
Quote by ktgmeasap
"Professional result"

Well. unfortunately you can't buy the build skills, or else Home Depot would put a lot of contractors out of business instead of helping them clean up homeowners' mistakes.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
Well. unfortunately you can't buy the build skills, or else Home Depot would put a lot of contractors out of business instead of helping them clean up homeowners' mistakes.

I actually did build my pedalboard in a couple hours, and did pretty decent job. Tilted and added "riser".
Quote by ktgmeasap
I actually did build my pedalboard in a couple hours, and did pretty decent job. Tilted and added "riser".

Then I would recommend giving it a try. It's basically just a box. If it turns out well, Tolex it. If not, try again. Plywood is cheap.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
If you're duplicating a closed back cab, silicone sealant in the corners helps with air leaks, and helps with any slight mis-cuts when you're squaring off the plywood.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
If you're duplicating a closed back cab, silicone sealant in the corners helps with air leaks, and helps with any slight mis-cuts when you're squaring off the plywood.

Cool, I'd probably do an open back though...
you can buy a new Jet City 2x12 cab loaded with eminence speakers for a whoping $219. You cant build one and buy speakers for that price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
you can buy a new Jet City 2x12 cab loaded with eminence speakers for a whoping $219. You cant build one and buy speakers for that price.

Really? Where, I've been searching the online stores..

Ahh Amazon....How are the Eminence in them? Do you happen to know the watt/db rating?
Last edited by ktgmeasap at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by ktgmeasap
Really? Where, I've been searching the online stores..

Ahh Amazon....How are the Eminence in them? Do you happen to know the watt/db rating?

The Eminencs in them are soposed to be similar to the V12 Legends that are in the Soldano cabs. It will handel 140 watts and can run mono or stereo. They also have a convertable back to make it a closed back or open back. I'm getting one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^People seem to like them. I hooked the ac15 into my buddies Marshall cab tonight. It sounded awesome!! It really wasn't much louder, but the the Jet City cab if it has the same watt/db as the legend, that could probably make it a good bit louder. AC15 sounds really awesome with the volume maxed....No chance in hell of a loud clean tone though.