Hey guys,
How often should I replace the tubes on my Egnater Tweaker? I know you should replace them once a year if you play on a larger amp, but this one's only 15 Watts. Just an FYI, I've had mine for about a year now. Anyways, thanks, fellow UG-ers.
there is no set rule or time frame

you replace them when they need replacing

i suggest buying some spares anyway when you have some 'spare' time

power tubes are going bad usually when you have a volume fluctuation

preamp tubes are going bad when they squeal like a pig, crackle, make your amp sound funky, or make a noise thru your speaker when you tap on it. (those sounds can be from other things too)*

all tubes can go bad at any time and exhibit all kinds of different symptoms so there is no set variable really.

some tubes last 20 years and some last 20 minutes.

generally the older tubes (made in the 50s,60s,70s,80s) are of higher quality and can last a really really long time.

tubes made from different factories with slightly different components/specs can have a affect on your amps tone.

i have a pretty good list of tubes i like and places to buy them if you are ever interested.

i've played the tweaker both at the store and at my house. the owner, gregs1020, had a variety of tubes to pop in and out so it was a fun exercise.

egnater rocks

v.....and what he said ....that is the best part lol
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 2, 2011,
it's a tweaker.

you can put almost any power tube (pair only) in there you want.

why in all hell would you wait a year?

put some EL34s in there asap.

also, lose the sovtechs from V1 and V2. like now.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
there is no set rule or time frame

you replace them when they need replacing

i suggest buying some spares anyway when you have some 'spare' time

power tubes are going bad usually when you have a volume fluctuation

preamp tubes are going bad when they squeal like a pig, crackle, make your amp sound funky, or make a noise thru your speaker when you tap on it. (those sounds can be from other things too)*

all tubes can go bad at any time and exhibit all kinds of different symptoms so there is no set variable really.

some tubes last 20 years and some last 20 minutes.

generally the older tubes (made in the 50s,60s,70s,80s) are of higher quality and can last a really really long time.

tubes made from different factories with slightly different components/specs can have a affect on your amps tone.

i have a pretty good list of tubes i like and places to buy them if you are ever interested.

i've played the tweaker both at the store and at my house. the owner, gregs1020, had a variety of tubes to pop in and out so it was a fun exercise.

egnater rocks

v.....and what he said ....that is the best part lol

Thanks man, I appreciate it! And if you could get me the list, that'd rock.
JJ/Tesla EL34s (if they will fit)
RubySTR EL34s
SED Winged C EL34s

JJ/Tesla 12AX7
JAN Phillips NOS 5751
Any other NOS 12AX7 tube if you can afford it.

www.dougstubes.com
www.thevalvequeen.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com (not in europe)
www.hotroxuk.com (in europe)

good luck
Quote by fenderstrat6485
Hey guys,
How often should I replace the tubes on my Egnater Tweaker? I know you should replace them once a year if you play on a larger amp, but this one's only 15 Watts. Just an FYI, I've had mine for about a year now. Anyways, thanks, fellow UG-ers.

Like they said, you definitely don't have to change your tubes once a year. If you've got good tubes and haven't had any issues, then there is really no need to change them. Only when you notice volume/gain changes, or noisy preamp tubes should you worry about having to change them. Having a spare set on hand if you're out gigging isn't a bad practice though. Since they will obviously only fail you when it's terribly inconvenient and at a gig.