Page 1 of 3
So the other guitarist in my band is rocking an epiphone les paul with EMGs, line 6 spider on face melting brutality setting, 10 behringer pedals HE NEVER EVEN USES and uses ultra low action and v thin strings. He is a great player and a great friend but his tone is awful. I am there with an 81 les paul custom with bareknuckles, and a 65 amp with eminence speakers and i dont really know what to say to him without saying sell all this shit and get one decent amp and one decent guitar.

Help!
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Aug 2, 2011,
Just say, "Dude, you need to work on your tone. Take some of those pedals out of the chain. They're killing the signal strength."
Check out my band Disturbed
let him try your gear
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

tell him he needs a new amp, and show him threads with people complaining about them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
"What you need is a new amp"
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
get rid of his line 6
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Well there's a lot of factors that go into your tone - starting point would be your guitar amp. You can actually get a fairly decent sound out of a Spider if you have a pair of ears and know how to work a simple EQ obviously its not as good as owning a decent valve amp but it's not as bad as people make it out to be half the time. Most people don't know how to dial in a good tone from gear like that.

try putting the dials on the amp to 12 o clock (straight up) and go from there. Create a custom setting instead of using the dire presets.

Just say to him that his tone is lacking clarity and isn't cutting through etc Selling all your equipment isn't the answer
Last edited by Zanon at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
So the other guitarist in my band is rocking an epiphone les paul with EMGs, line 6 spider on face melting brutality setting, 10 behringer pedals HE NEVER EVEN USES and uses ultra low action and v thin strings. He is a great player and a great friend but his tone is awful. I am there with an 81 les paul custom with bareknuckles, and a 65 amp with eminence speakers and i dont really know what to say to him without saying sell all this shit and get one decent amp and one decent guitar.

Help!

So on Insane with Treble maxed out and a little bass and no mids?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by NothingRocks
Tell him Tosin Abasi's tone on the Animal as Leaders album is better than his. That's the most insulting thing(when it comes to guitar tones) I can think of.

do this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by NothingRocks
Tell him Tosin Abasi's tone on the Animal as Leaders album is better than his. That's the most insulting thing(when it comes to guitar tones) I can think of.

so much this
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Just wait a couple of months for the Spider to stop working.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Just wait a couple of months for the Spider to stop working.

**** that i cant take it ive spent years trying to get good tones and thousands of pounds for it all to be mixed in with fuzzy fizzyness.
Tell him tone is subjective and to keep using a tone he likes.

But maybe offer to help him clean it up a bit, cause that shit sounds painful.
Last edited by Ebeli at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Ebeli

But maybe offer to help him clean it up a bit, cause that shit sounds painful.

Yeah it is segregated to those who dont know good tone and those who do.
How about if you want him to have better tone then you buy him a new amp yourself instead of complaining about it when he likes the sound he's getting? Tone is subjective, you had people complaining about the fuzztone on the kinks 'you really got me' too saying it sounded horrible.

edit: whilst i've got the link open i'll post this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhNUq8tA_I

I've had a person i knew back in my old college say that the white stripes tones (and pretty much any fuzztone in general) was horrible sounding, because they hated fuzz. They thought Joe Bonamassa was the ultimate in guitar tone. I strongly disagree, but who's right? No one, because it's a personal preference and if he hated fuzz then he's entiteld to think it sucks and i can think it's badass.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Ebeli

It's easy to get confused between a tone that feels good and a tone that sounds good. Using a ridiculously scooped and over-gained tone can be great fun, but it sounds like bums.

Or it's easy to obsess over one aspect, and tweak it to the point of absurdity. I used to know someone who didn't like how synthetic and fizzy Guitar Rig sounded, so he ended up putting 100 effects on it until he ended up with a horrid muffled sound that sounded like you were listening to someone play guitar in the next room.

If it's really that bad I'd imagine he'd hate it himself if he heard it with fresh ears.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
talk to him about it over a beer. If under the legal drinking age, make it weed
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
I find describing their tone as "sterile" does it. It's a pretty brutal put down, it's like saying your amp will never (and should never) have babies.
Member of the Laney Cult
Introduce him to UG, specifically GG&A. we'll have him gas'ing for a Soldano or a Fryette or a Fortin within a week.
I've had this problem before. Wait for the person to realise what an idiot they are.

"I can't hear my Line 6, I'm going to turn the treble to 10"

"Turn that down it's painful to hear"

"Yeah well I don't like your tone either"

Some people need to learn to take criticism rather than percieve criticism as an invitation to an argument over who is better.
Quote by Random3
I've had this problem before. Wait for the person to realise what an idiot they are.

"I can't hear my Line 6, I'm going to turn the treble to 10"

"Turn that down it's painful to hear"

"Yeah well I don't like your tone either"

Some people need to learn to take criticism rather than percieve criticism as an invitation to an argument over who is better.

Rowland S Howard used to play a jag into a fender twin reverb with the treble at 10 , master on 10, and the bass all the way down. Some people like to have their own unique sound in a world where everyone and their dog plays guitar , why should someone have to change what makes them unique just because the other person in the band wants everyone to have a tone that they approve of.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Rowland S Howard used to play a jag into a fender twin reverb with the treble at 10 , master on 10, and the bass all the way down. Some people like to have their own unique sound in a world where everyone and their dog plays guitar , why should someone have to change what makes them unique just because the other person in the band wants everyone to have a tone that they approve of.

Because a band implies a group of musicians who work together for a unified sound. If you aren't willing to change something about your sound then you have no place in a band. Sit in your bedroom and play by yourself if you are unwilling to compromise.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
Because a band implies a group of musicians who work together for a unified sound.

There are plenty of electric guitar tones that can be used and work within the 'rock' or 'metal' genres. Who says the guitarists in the band need to sound similar anyway? It's not a bad thing to have 2 guitarists with distinct playing and tones.
Quote by Zoot Allures

it's not about taste as much as it is illogical mix-wise. just because a tone is unique, that does not give them permission to not accept criticism either. a band is a group, not five individual musicians. if you want your own unique tone, you can tour solo.
Quote by Zoot Allures

have you ever even played a Line 6 Spider?
Quote by Zoot Allures
There are plenty of electric guitar tones that can be used and work within the 'rock' or 'metal' genres. Who says the guitarists in the band need to sound similar anyway? It's not a bad thing to have 2 guitarists with distinct playing and tones.

They should be pretty close. If they're not, it just sounds weird and unbalanced.
Quote by laid-to-waste
it's not about taste as much as it is illogical mix-wise. just because a tone is unique, that does not give them permission to not accept criticism either. a band is a group, not five individual musicians. if you want your own unique tone, you can tour solo.

Yeah some tones can fizz away into the mix and be buried, although a lot of music never really required a guitar to cut through much anyway, a lot of alternative rock bands spring to mind.

I think it's totally possible for a band to have 2 guitarists each with their own guitar tones and styles, and quite honestly it's wrong to try to tell someone to make their sound generic and standarised, like i say, the world is full of guitar players and it is difficult to get a signature sound. I think it should be encouraged.
Quote by StewieSwan
They should be pretty close. If they're not, it just sounds weird and unbalanced.

I disagree entirely, i think it sounds good to have two different guitar tones going on like you'll often hear in QOTSA songs would be an example of what i'm talking about, keeps it interesting for the listener.
Quote by theogonia777
have you ever even played a Line 6 Spider?

sue me, i think they're great.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Yeah some tones can fizz away into the mix and be buried, although a lot of music never really required a guitar to cut through much anyway, a lot of alternative rock bands spring to mind.

I think it's totally possible for a band to have 2 guitarists each with their own guitar tones and styles, and quite honestly it's wrong to try to tell someone to make their sound generic and standarised, like i say, the world is full of guitar players and it is difficult to get a signature sound. I think it should be encouraged.

i think you should find a tone you think sounds good, generic or not. i don't care about being unique, just play what you want to play, sound like you want to sound and if you're really honest about your music, you just might get noticed.
Since when does everyone on UG hate Tosin Abasi's tone?

It seems like peoples opinions on here change everyday.. One day, BTBAM is worshiped. The next, half of UG hates em.. Last month, everyone loved djent and everything djent related. Now everyone hates it and the use of the term "djent"?
Quote by laid-to-waste
sue me, i think they're great.

i think you should find a tone you think sounds good, generic or not. i don't care about being unique, just play what you want to play, sound like you want to sound and if you're really honest about your music, you just might get noticed.

I agree with you, and i'm saying if he thinks his tone sound good then he shouldn't be told off for it.

I'll tell you, almost every damn song i've ever heard by any metal band i've thought the guitar sounded really bad, it may just be the playing that irritates me but either way. But i can at least admit that some people like that and my word on tone is not for everyone, and vice versa.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I disagree entirely, i think it sounds good to have two different guitar tones going on like you'll often hear in QOTSA songs would be an example of what i'm talking about, keeps it interesting for the listener.

It depends on the kind of band you're in. Sure, unmatching tones would sound fine in a grungy rock band. Unmatching tones in a band that harmonizes a lot would just sound awful.

Quote by TheAbsentOne
Since when does everyone on UG hate Tosin Abasi's tone?

It seems like peoples opinions on here change everyday.. One day, BTBAM is worshiped. The next, half of UG hates em.. Last month, everyone loved djent and everything djent related. Now everyone hates it and the use of the term "djent"?

It's because the kids like to hate on popular things. Once something gets popular, you gotta hate on it.
Page 1 of 3