I have a Schecter c-1 classic and usually use .011s but have just bought some .012's. The employee at Willis Music said I'd need to adjust my truss rod, but do I really need to do this for such a small string gauge change?
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
Depends what your tuning it to, if your keeping it in the same tuning as before, you might need to make a small change, downtuning less so.
Its all about the tension.
METAL!
I feel ashamed to even ask but I've never done this procedure before--would I tighten or loosen the truss rod.

My assumption is to loosen as the higher gauge strings would add tension, correct?
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
Yeah if you go for heavier strings the increased tension would potentially increase the curve or bow in the neck, so you would want to reduce this increased 'neck relief' something cloder to what you had originally. Tiny tiny adjustments on the truss are the way to go. Its very easy to stuff a good neck up by overdoing it. Eg a quarter turn of a truss rod nut is a huge huge adjustment. I would do like 1/16th of a turn then leave the neck for a good while then look to see if I needed to do more and if the neck needed it do the same again. Slowly slowly slowly.
look at the set up thread in this forum
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix