I love Jazz III's, they are by far my favorite pick and the only pick I use, the thing is I wish they were smooth, the raised lettering bothers me, does it bother anyone else?

Does anyone know of a pick that's basically a smooth Jazz III?
I think the Ultex Jazz III's are smooth.

I used to love Jazz III's until I got a Gravity Picks Classic Mini. Its a tiny bit bigger than a Jazz III, but its 3mm thick instead of 1.38. It gives you more control over the pick, and they feel better too. They're smooth, maybe try one out? They are $5 each though

They do have another which is a bit more like a Jazz III, the Razer Mini, and you can get them in 1.5mm as well if you don't want the 3mm.
Very good picks, I highly recommend them.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by littlephil

Nope - raised letters there too. OP- just sand them off.

Or even better, use a Dunlop 205 - far better than a Jazz III (and harder to find)
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Aug 2, 2011,
I used Jazz III for years, and then I tried out a Tortex 1.14, the black ones. Will never go back again.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by littlephil

I used to love Jazz III's until I got a Gravity Picks Classic Mini. Its a tiny bit bigger than a Jazz III, but its 3mm thick instead of 1.38. It gives you more control over the pick, and they feel better too. They're smooth, maybe try one out? They are $5 each though

They do have another which is a bit more like a Jazz III, the Razer Mini, and you can get them in 1.5mm as well if you don't want the 3mm.
Very good picks, I highly recommend them.

Man, pretty much all the Gravity Picks are rip-offs of V-picks. Chris learned them all from Vinni and then went and made them in different colours and called them his own, sad really.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Dunlop Ultex Sharp. buy them.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by Grawgos
dunlop stubby?

lol no way stubby's don't do it for me- also 2nd what the hell for your avatar

Quote by Vulcan
OP- just sand them off.

Or even better, use a Dunlop 205 - far better than a Jazz III (and harder to find)

no way again on the 205, nothing beat's a jazz iii's tip for me, and the size is perfect too

I have sanded the lettering off but I'd rather not for some reason that I can't explain
Tortecks One Point Fourteen Nao!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by zincabopataurio
They make Jazz 3s in tortex which are completely flat.

they dont have the same tip though
Sand or cut off the lettering with a hobby (exacto) knife?
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mizxou
they dont have the same tip though

Are you sure? They seem identical to me (I have them both in my hands right now).
Quote by mizxou
I love Jazz III's, they are by far my favorite pick and the only pick I use, the thing is I wish they were smooth, the raised lettering bothers me, does it bother anyone else?

Does anyone know of a pick that's basically a smooth Jazz III?

Learn to have it not bother you.
...been using Jazz III's for 30 years...

I've still got a few from the 80's that are a bit darker red (or maybe that's just dirt ). They can almost last forever if you touch up the edges and tip with a nail file now and then.

I like the raised letters to provide grip.
When you're on stage breaking a sweat, you'll appreciate that.
Last edited by Terry Gorle at Aug 3, 2011,
Dunlop Ultex Ftw!!!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by ethan_hanus
Not another Jazz III thread....crap.
I play Gravity Picks, make Jazz III's look like trash....

Gravity picks?
$5 each!!!????

Dude, I've seen my fair share of fads over the years... I've played picks made of polished agate stone, polished brass, stainless steel, every type of plastic DuPont ever created... more often than not any difference in tone with those abovementioned picks has a huge downside - metal and stone picks dent and eat through wound strings like candy.
And the sharp clicking/glassy attack gets annoying as hell after a while.

Thanks, but I'll take 2 dozen Jazz III's for my $5.

Speaking of gimmicks... I beta tested Elixir Strings before they hit the market... you know the ones coated with the equivalent of teflon plumbers tape that are hyped as lasting 5 times longer in order to demand $15 per set... yet after 10 minutes of alternate picking they're shedding threads of that crap all over your picking zone... and any serious bending wears the teflon off of the underside in minutes... it's total hype... then there's Monster Cable... do I need to go on?

But hey, to each his own...
If you've got money to burn lining up $40 worth of Gravity Picks on a piece of doubleback tape as backups for every gig, more power to ya!
Might as well pass out free CD's while you're at it.
Last edited by Terry Gorle at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by Terry Gorle
Gravity picks?
$5 each!!!????

Dude, I've seen my fair share of fads over the years... I've played picks made of polished agate stone, polished brass, stainless steel, every type of plastic DuPont ever created... more often than not any difference in tone with those abovementioned picks has a huge downside - metal and stone picks dent and eat through wound strings like candy.
And the sharp clicking/glassy attack gets annoying as hell after a while.

Thanks, but I'll take 2 dozen Jazz III's for my $5.

Speaking of gimmicks... I beta tested Elixir Strings before they hit the market... you know the ones coated with the equivalent of teflon plumbers tape that are hyped as lasting 5 times longer in order to demand $15 per set... yet after 10 minutes of alternate picking they're shedding threads of that crap all over your picking zone... and any serious bending wears the teflon off of the underside in minutes... it's total hype... then there's Monster Cable... do I need to go on?

But hey, to each his own...
If you've got money to burn lining up $40 worth of Gravity Picks on a piece of doubleback tape as backups for every gig, more power to ya!
Might as well pass out free CD's while you're at it.

Tbh, some of the acrylic picks are actually very good, for example, V-Picks make ones that are really thick and these are proven to help people with technique problems like gripping the pick too hard and tensing up. Also, +1 on the Black Ice, love them.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by zincabopataurio
Are you sure? They seem identical to me (I have them both in my hands right now).

maybe you're right, i was assuming off the picture on the dunlop website

anyway i think im just gonna sand a few reg jazz 3's down for when it bothers me, which is barely ever
i felt so guilty when i was using only Jazz III's. i couldnt use normal picks. but then i forced myself and i fell inlove with dunlop Ultex sharp .9mm and 1mm
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
i play with jazz 3 xl series from dunlop and the only thing that bothers me is that because of the sweat they slip out of my hand while the tortex don't do that so live i am forced to play with purple tortex picks.
the black jazz 3's are totally smooth. but they get very slippery as soon as you start to sweat. the new jazz 3's are completely textured rather than just raised words and i love em.