I recently bought a Peavey valveking 112 and I'm not quite satisfied with the distortion I get from it. I am using a boss ml2 on the clean channel and I can't get that death metal distortion from bands like cryptopsy and dying fetus I was getting with my past amp so I made some researches. I found the wiki about the valveking and discovered that I could change the amp's speaker, which might be a good idea... But I was just wondering if I could use a tube screamer to boost the sound of my ml2 distortion, it would be a cheaper aternative and I could reuse the pedal later. What should I do ?

p.s.: Please excuse my english, I actually speak french.
You will not get very much bass from a 112 amp. Especially not enough for Death Metal. If the amp has an external speaker out plug it into a cab.
Quote by QC_Unholy
I recently bought a Peavey valveking 112 and I'm not quite satisfied with the distortion I get from it. I am using a boss ml2 on the clean channel and I can't get that death metal distortion from bands like cryptopsy and dying fetus I was getting with my past amp so I made some researches. I found the wiki about the valveking and discovered that I could change the amp's speaker, which might be a good idea... But I was just wondering if I could use a tube screamer to boost the sound of my ml2 distortion, it would be a cheaper aternative and I could reuse the pedal later. What should I do ?

p.s.: Please excuse my english, I actually speak french.

i thought the high-gain channel was WAAAAAAAY too harsh until i changed the preamp tubes. it's still trebly but it's a more useable "treblyness". still, i usually keep the treble knob between 0 and 3 when on solo settings. aaaaaanyway realize that no amp is going to give you that extremely tight sound that you want on it's own. not a triple rec, not 6505...nothing. but i think you can do it using the tubescreamer as a boost to the amps drive cahnnel and a nick quick cut noise gate. also, the tight/loose switch and texture knob MAKE A DIFFERENCE expecially if you're playing loudly. make sure it's on tight and that you have the knob all the way to a/b. scoop some mids of course.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Aug 2, 2011,
the valveking isn't really made for high-gain metal. a tubescreamer would help boost the amp's built-in distortion channel, but I don't think it would help the boss ml2? Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, I'm not totally sure. I've heard good things about the Mesa mod that is described in the Wiki, you could try that. I'm planning on doing that mod to my VK 112 soon.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok