I'm looking for pickups that are naturally passive, but can have an active "Boost" like, some added coil that effectively (when activated) make the one pickup in to 2, more or less. Like, active, yet still functioning as passive simultaneously.

Does this exist, or has anyone made a mod/alteration they'd care to share some schematics/ideas for?
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Well, basically, active pups simply have an internal preamp. My closest solution would be to get some passive PAF-style pickups, nothing too high-gain, and installing an EMG Afterburner.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
well active pickups are technically passive without the battery if im not mistaken. maybe you could use active pickups with a killswitch type mod to kill the battery when you dont need that "boost". this is hypothetical of course as ive never done it but it seems like it might work.
Without the battery, actives have almost no signal. You could just use actives, and roll back the volume knob?
Quote by tael
well active pickups are technically passive without the battery if im not mistaken. maybe you could use active pickups with a killswitch type mod to kill the battery when you dont need that "boost". this is hypothetical of course as ive never done it but it seems like it might work.

No, this isn't true.

Actives need a battery to run. Without the power, the preamp doesn't function.
Quote by tael

Can't do that. Once the battery is dead or the signal is cut those pickups wont work. Well, they will technically but the volume will be so low you can't hear them.

I'm not sure how it is done, but the closest thing to getting active/passive pickups would be installing passive pickups along with an active boost. Kind of like what I have on my DK2 Firestorm.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
my actives still have a signal with no battery but there probably is a better way
Ya EMG makes something like what you described. Alexi Laiho used one himself as well when he used passive pickips (I think he uses actives now).
you can get a blackout modular preamp and wire it some way that when you flip a switch it turns the preamp off. i have no idea how you would have to wire it for it to do that but thats the best i got.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
thats basically what active pickups are. it sounds more like youre interesting in like a boost or something, like the zakk wylde afterburner i think its called.

either that or the modular preamp, which im sure you can wire to have it on a bypass switch
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
As some of the other posters mentioned, get an active modular preamp, it's the best answer to what you are seeking.

I also remember there being a pickup that is actually active, but if the battery dies midway, it will switch to passive operation. However I don't quite remember the brand or make of the pickup
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You could totally install one of http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/ in your active-equipped axe. I would think it sounds different then just rolling back the volume, but then again I haven't A/B'd a dying EMG with a new batt rolling back teh volume.
Aren't the Ibanez ones that you switch just passive pickups with an active EQ on a separate board?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
*refer to my sig*
The Ibanez RGA72 uses CAP p/ups, switchable from active to passive.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
But they still have the alnico/ceramic magnet. It's never TRULY active, just boosted.
Pretty close, there is definitely a noticeable difference in tone.
The active setting is as you said boosted and a lot hotter, the passive setting is sharper and has a lot more attack to it.
It's still powered via battery so it's convenient for gigging situations if the battery cuts out halfway through a song.
I like them a lot
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Cathbard
Aren't the Ibanez ones that you switch just passive pickups with an active EQ on a separate board?

The pickups are active too, but yeah, its just an EQ that cuts the mids.
My mate was looking at this Godin guitar with 3 P-90s, which were passive, but could be switched to active. Maybe look in to how that's done?

It was the Godin Type 3, the pickups were Lollars.
^That Godin just has an inbuilt preamp/EQ that alters the tone a bit. The pickups are still passive, but you get an active boost when you turn on the preamp/EQ.
I've played an Ibanez that had a built in preamp with a 3 band stack and it was cut or boost.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo