Page 1 of 2
" Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."

What do you guys think of this? What does this sentence say to you, and do you believe in what it is saying?

If anybody can guess where it came from I'll give them an e-cookie.
I agree with it. What you do to others you do to yourself. I think this is the nature of life.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
I agree with it. What you do to others you do to yourself. I think this is the nature of life.

Especially if you're a masochist.
I agree as well. If everyone treated each other as equals, let alone better than ones self, the world would be so different...
there's plenty of time to be humble when you're dead.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by blake1221
Especially if you're a masochist.

Quote by ethan_hanus
What book, chapter, and verse..

Philippians 2:3
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ethan_hanus
What book, chapter, and verse..

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Do+nothing+out+of+selfish+ambition+or+vain+conceit%2C+but+in+humility+consider+others+better+than+yourselves

To be fair though, I knew it was from the Bible anyway. I've read it before. It's a pretty interesting read if you take it slow.
Quote by theogonia777
http://bible.cc/philippians/2-3.htm

yay internet! cookie please.

You googled, so no e-cookie for you.

Ok, since you guys seem to know this verse, explain to me why so many people hate(or dislike) the Bible? I'm reading through Ezekiel, and even though that's a really brutal book, it does make sense as to why God did the things he did, if you actually read it, and not just glace through it.

To me the Bible seems to have alot of things you guys agree with, but you only pick and choose things....or something...idk, I'm kinda tired.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Ok, since you guys seem to know this verse, explain to me why so many people hate(or dislike) the Bible? I'm reading through Ezekiel, and even though that's a really brutal book, it does make sense as to why God did the things he did, if you actually read it, and not just glace through it.

To me the Bible seems to have alot of things you guys agree with, but you only pick and choose things....or something...idk, I'm kinda tired.

There's alot of good morals and stuff. Most people just don't like the god parts.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Oh hello Mr. Pot.
Quote by ethan_hanus

I love the Bible. The interpretations and nonsense people get from it is what people hate. Ecclesiastes is the shit.
Quote by ethan_hanus

do you really expect any of us except for Slacker or AJP to know that? you can't promise cookies and not give them based on a rule you didn't even mention.

Ok, since you guys seem to know this verse, explain to me why so many people hate(or dislike) the Bible?

because books are evil. Captain Beatty said so, and he knew his shit.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nah, it's 11:40 and I took some Night Quill about an hour ago... stuff makes you sleepy.

Night Quill?

Nyquil off-brand?
I summon thee, atheists of the pit!

Also, I'm a christian and I hate the fact that I should feel guilty about being born(according to the bible we were born into sin thanks to adam and eve and we owe jesus a huge debt for dying for our sins, because we're all dirty sinners). I don't like some things about the bible, but I think it does more good than bad.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nah, it's 11:40 and I took some Night Quill about an hour ago... stuff makes you sleepy.

Yeah, I'll admit that the bible has some great stuff, but it also has some terrible stuff. The fact that we can see what's great and whats terrible about it shows me that our ethics and morality do not come from the bible, but we apply it to the bible when reading it. That's all I have to say on the matter.
In a perfect world, you could get by being like that, but in this one you have to keep your guard up and be just as or more conniving than the guy next to you.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Welll...try telling all these atheists (I'm not an atheist; I'm a messianic jew) that...

I don't even bother, because it just pisses me & them off.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']In a perfect world, you could get by being like that, but in this one you have to keep your guard up and be just as or more conniving than the guy next to you.
This is the mindset that makes a "perfect world" impossible to achieve.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Because it's a few good sentiments stuffed between horrifyingly barbaric teachings.
Quote by bradulator
This is the mindset that makes a "perfect world" impossible to achieve.

I know, but who wants that?

A perfect world would have no reason to move or change.
What if your selfish ambition is to be the most humble person to have ever lived? Do you, then, not do humble acts because by doing so, you are doing it out of selfish ambition?
Quote by due 07
Because it's a few good sentiments stuffed between horrifyingly barbaric teachings.

History is full of barbaric things. So you don't like it because it's telling the you flat out brutal truth? I thought people wanted truth? Without suffering there is no change, without pain there is no lesson learned, without hardship, there is no experienced gained.

To me, people seem to actually learn and not repeat something after it has hurt them deeply, so maybe the bible is trying to make it brutally apparent to prevent you from actually learning the hard way.
Quote by burndttoast
What if your selfish ambition is to be the most humble person to have ever lived? Do you, then, not do humble acts because by doing so, you are doing it out of selfish ambition?

Then you wouldn't exactly be the most humble person because you are, in fact, motivated purely by selfish ambition.
Quote by ethan_hanus
History is full of barbaric things. So you don't like it because it's telling the you flat out brutal truth? I thought people wanted truth? Without suffering there is no change, without pain there is no lesson learned, without hardship, there is no experienced gained.

To me, people seem to actually learn and not repeat something after it has hurt them deeply, so maybe the bible is trying to make it brutally apparent to prevent you from actually learning the hard way.
A lot of those barbaric things in history was because of the Bible and the religions tied to it...
Look the bible says a lot of great things. Many of the morals that are innate in humans are manifested in the bible. That's why a lot of people agree with a lot of what it says. The quote you had was a great one. It's important to be humble. It is however a product of its time. That's why there are passages in the bible that with rules about slavery. It does not say slavery is wrong. There are also passages about animal sacrifice. Christianity has modernized over time as no one in the church has slaves or sacrifices animals (or at least I hope not), but really it's cut from the same cloth as every other "pagan" religion of its time.

What I'm trying to say is that there are some great passages in the bible to be considered, but it should not be taken as an absolute authority in any argument whether it be about science or ethics. It simply is not up to the task.
Quote by burndttoast
A lot of those barbaric things in history was because of the Bible and the religions tied to it...

It was worse before the bible was around, Kangas Khan or whatever, meanest dude ever to exist, and didn't have anything to do with the bible.

Alot of people used the bible to control other people though faith, like the Catholic church of England, and in general the Catholic church.

It's like how it is with Line 6 and Marshall, just because they sold the crap out of the Spider IV's and MG's everybody now thinks Line 6 and Marshal suck, which they actually don't, just those specific amps.
Barbaric shit has been happening pre and post religion.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It was worse before the bible was around, Kangas Khan or whatever, meanest dude ever to exist, and didn't have anything to do with the bible

Quote by ethan_hanus

Be careful, keep your mind strong, don't let that stupid book fill your head with lies.
Quote by ethan_hanus

There's a difference between barbaric things that actually happened (history), and barbaric moral teachings (Bible and others).

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by genghisgandhi
I love the Bible. The interpretations and nonsense people get from it is what people hate.

Regardless of what you think about morals or God or Jesus, The Bible is an important work of literature, one of the foundational books of Western civilization. Better recognize, son.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by due 07
There's a difference between barbaric things that actually happened (history), and barbaric moral teachings (Bible and others).

Ah, the stories of Sodom and Gomorrah.

"DON'T BE GAY OR I AM GOING TO BURN YOU INTO OBLIVION"
Page 1 of 2