Hello ever y body. It seems to be the time to purchase a new amp. The highest I can afford is aproxly $600. I currently own a lovely Epiphone Dot Hollow-Body, and some crappy pedals I should probably replace. Here is some info on what I kind of want to sound like:

I have some music on my page, I use Amplitube, so I kind of model the tone I want there but you guys prolly won't listen to that anyway so.

Artist who I like the guitar tones of: Mancester Orchestra (I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child), Relient K (Forget And Not Slow Down tones), Company Of Thieves, Foo Fighters, Brand New, The Wonder Years, and Young The Giant. Basically, twangy reverby crunch fests.

I think most of them use Vox, so I was thinking the AC15cc1? No?

A guy on craigslist is selling an Orange Tiny Terror combo for $500? Yes? My only concern is there is no reverb on that amp.

And there's a Peavy Classic 30 for only $250? Anygood?

I live by Utica, NY. Is this enough information for you to help?
Last edited by rockfan7 at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I dunno man, what you really need is a new guitar

:| But I have a Fender Frontman 15 that came free with a guitar....

...and you guys recommended I buy the Epiphone Dot

-can't win-
Ah, I will be trying to, and practice at least with drums and bass and things.

(I know he was kidding I was kidding to his kidding)
well a low priced practice amp that i got and sounds amazing is the vht special 6 ultra its about 330 new for a 1x10 combo and it gets plenty loud and anywhere from clean to heavy distorted if you are worried about reverb put a reverb pedal in the fx loop
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Bugera.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Thas only 6 Watts ?_? I would think I need at least 15 for practice if I didn't want to turn it all the way up to hear it

^Which Bugera?
I would say either v22 or 55 would be in your budgets, however i got a used 6262 212 120watt for around $400
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Is the v22 all tube? and would be loud enough for gigging? And could it verge into pop-punkish territory?

So many questions I have sorry
best title ever

i'm not actually that familiar with most of the bands you posted, but from "Basically, twangy reverby crunch fests. ", maybe a traynor ycv40? kustom coupé?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Both of those are above my price range I think -frownies- unless I could go used but I don't think I want to do that unless I could drive and get it (I don't trust random people mailing amps, just sounds like a bad idea)

What about the ones I posted in the OP?
that classic 30 would be choice. there is also this but i dont know how far away it is but it would totally worth it

http://utica.craigslist.org/msg/2469810350.html music man amp.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by rockfan7
Thas only 6 Watts ?_? I would think I need at least 15 for practice if I didn't want to turn it all the way up to hear it

^Which Bugera?

6 watts will bust your ears when you turn it up all the way in your bedroom.
my vht special 6 is hella loud if you ask me i have shotgasses in a case on the opposite side of the room and knocked some over on the low power mode cranked. just switch out the tubes, i am using EH 6L6GC and 12ax7 tubes in it. the high power mode keeps up with our drummer always when it is distorted and about 90% of the time clean and he plays pretty loud. just get a good 1X12 cab for the head don't go with the combo they chromeback speaker is designed to be quiet.
Tube amps are louder than solid state amps. A 5w tube amp might actually completely drown out a 15w SS amp in some cases.

The Classic 30 is a great buy. I'd hit that up and get a few pedals as well. Or you could get an AC15, but it's pretty different to the AC30.

You could also check out the AC50, if you can find one, or perhaps check out Vox's Valve Reactor amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
look at a Peavey Valveking. 2 seperate channels with independant tone controls. the cleans are decent and the drive channel will get you reasonably close to the bands you've mentioned. a speakerchange down the road is recommended as is putting in better tubes but even stock the amp will work for you.
Get that Peavey Classic for $250. Do it. Do it now.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Get that Peavey Classic for $250. Do it. Do it now.

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by rockfan7
Both of those are above my price range I think -frownies- unless I could go used but I don't think I want to do that unless I could drive and get it (I don't trust random people mailing amps, just sounds like a bad idea)

What about the ones I posted in the OP?

ah ok. i thought the traynor might sneak under it, but I'm not too well up on prices in the US.

From the ones you listed I'd say the classic 30 would likely do what you want the best.

Quote by cmc5890
my vht special 6 is hella loud if you ask me i have shotgasses in a case on the opposite side of the room and knocked some over on the low power mode cranked. just switch out the tubes, i am using EH 6L6GC and 12ax7 tubes in it. the high power mode keeps up with our drummer always when it is distorted and about 90% of the time clean and he plays pretty loud. just get a good 1X12 cab for the head don't go with the combo they chromeback speaker is designed to be quiet.

not to derail the thread, but how does it sound with the 6L6? Compared to how it sounds with the stock 6v6, i suppose.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the V22 is all tube yes
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
^ Okies, I think I'm between the Bugera v22 and the Peavey Classic 30, either way I'm spending A LOT less money which is great because I had planned on getting the Vox AC15cc1 which was $600, so maybe I could get a decent delay pedal finally. I'm gonna scan youtube of samples of how they each sound, I don't live near a music shop or anything so I can't really play it...
Quote by Dave_Mc
not to derail the thread, but how does it sound with the 6L6? Compared to how it sounds with the stock 6v6, i suppose.

It sounds great. you get a volume boost as expected, but the tone is thicker with more low end and it give this perfect Zeppelin tone when cranked with the boost on.
I love my 5W amps but seriously guys, he wants to be heard over drums so stop recommending them.
The Traynor sounds like a good plan, maybe go used.
Fender Blues Junior would be an excellent choice if you want twangy, just stick a tubescreamer or two in front of it for your crunchyness.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I thought that was a little weird, even if it is tube I don't think 5 watts is going to be good in the future.

Well the Classic 30 is still available, should I go ahead?

I looked at the Blues Juniors and the Tiny Terror combo, but I think I just really like onboard reverb, and neither of them had them
Yes, get the Classic 30, it's close(ish) sounding to a Vox. Heavy emphasis on the (ish).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cathbard
Fender Blues Junior would be an excellent choice if you want twangy, just stick a tubescreamer or two in front of it for your crunchyness.

I thought about recommending this... But I wouldn't say its crunchy per se. It can probably get in the ballpark, and its perfect by the rest of your criteria. Maybe give it a shot.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by cmc5890
It sounds great. you get a volume boost as expected, but the tone is thicker with more low end and it give this perfect Zeppelin tone when cranked with the boost on.

thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blues Jr. is a common choice for amp mods, so (if TS can/wants to) it could be perfect. It's a good amp though. I was considering one myself before deciding I wanted something more British voiced
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I don't really want to mod because I feel like I'll just ruin it and then I'll be stuck with something I can't sell for much and doesn't sound good:/

I don't want to sound like a Vox, I would get a Vox if I wanted too, I just thought most of the bands used them (I know COT does, MO used one but I think they use Orange now, Relient K uses everything pretty much, I have no clue what the Foo's use.)
Brand New has amazing Vox tone. I want that crunch so bad but I can't get it with my BJr... Despite 4 OD pedals to mess with.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If I had $600 for an amp I'd go for the Egnater tweaker. Very versatile and 15-watts, so plenty loud enough for a band.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only