Hey UG, im in a bit of a rut trying to figure out a recording setup for me and my drummer. were trying to make it happen for under $300. what we are really looking for are some mics to record his drums with decent quality and use one of the mics to record my cab (separately recorded, ill bring the tracks together on a computer). what we have looked at so far is a pair of samson C02 condenser mics to record overhead. but we have no idea on how it will sound and we cant buy/return it because apparently its california state law that you cant return microphones because its a health hazard .

Short question: set of mics and mixer for <$300 to record drums and a guitar amp separately.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Samson C02s are quality for the price. Front End Audio has the Pair Shipped for 100$. Also, Pick up a Shure SM57 - Used they can be had for 50$ and you can use this on the Snare and Cab. That's 150$ but here's where you get in to a pinch. You won't have a mic to record the kick and an AI with more than 2 mic pres will cost more than 200$. In the 150$ range you can find quite a lot of stuff, used maybe even a 100$. Presonus Firebox, Focusrite Saffire, M-Audio Fast Track, etc.

For 300$ It's definitely a nice setup but you will lack in some areas. You could just use the Samsons as overheads to capture the whole set but it wouldn't be great. I usually do a 4 mic setup for simplicity (snare,kick, OH). Check out Youtube for less than 4 mic setups.
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
$300 for a decent sounding setup really isn't going to get you much. The CO2s are surprisingly nice sounding for the price you pay for them, but finding a decent interface that can handle more than 2 mics for a price that will allow you to buy mics as well, isn't going to be easy.

The only 2+ mic input interface that I'd suggest for cheap is the Presonus FP-10 (also called the Firepod), but that's going to cost you $200+ just for that - Won't leave you nearly enough for drum mics.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by lank81
Samson C02s are quality for the price. Front End Audio has the Pair Shipped for 100$. Also, Pick up a Shure SM57 - Used they can be had for 50$ and you can use this on the Snare and Cab. That's 150$ but here's where you get in to a pinch. You won't have a mic to record the kick and an AI with more than 2 mic pres will cost more than 200$. In the 150$ range you can find quite a lot of stuff, used maybe even a 100$. Presonus Firebox, Focusrite Saffire, M-Audio Fast Track, etc.

For 300$ It's definitely a nice setup but you will lack in some areas. You could just use the Samsons as overheads to capture the whole set but it wouldn't be great. I usually do a 4 mic setup for simplicity (snare,kick, OH). Check out Youtube for less than 4 mic setups.

damn dude that sounds really sick, ty for the input.

but keep em coming guys the more suggestions the better
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED