How would a custom fretboard scheme be done in a way that would make it stay permanently? Like, something such as a highly detailed dragon extending from the 3rd fret to the 21st be done? Where would you take it to get something like that done? What would the price range be? I need help with this kinda stuff.

And while on that subject, how would you get the standard dots removed permanently?

I got tired of the dots and wanted to see something more unique on my guitar
Well, for inlays, you have to route out the wood in the shape of the picture you want, then cut the inlay material VERY precisely exactly the same, then you glue it in to the space you cut on the fretboard. It's pretty complex and I'm guessing would cost a couple to several hundreds to do. It's not exactly a beginner DIY type thing.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
as gibsonman said. its not for beginners.
i myself havent long started trying to cut my own inlays. very time consuming and tedious work. thats just from straight lines and simple curves. some bits snap off or split..

highly detailed dragon..... PRS dragon guitar.. (checks book - the art of inlay, larry robinson) for the fingerboard alone counts upto 201 pieces of abalone, mother of pearl, coral and tirquoise.
not sure how much those guitars go for.

to get the standard dots removed permenantly... what i do though is drill a hole in the middle. put a soldering iron on the inlay, heat it up to melt the glue with a pin or paperclip hook that in the hole you drilled and pull it out..

i would maybe practice on plastics, thin metal sheet, maybe even glass from somethin like picture frames.
some types of shell.. if not all. are toxic to some degree
Wow, so that definitely is going to have to wait awhile.

I have found this one site that replaces all of those with stickers, but it's only temporary. Would anybody have any experience with those? (http://www.inlaysticker.com/)

And thanks for the help
they seem ok, not heard anything bad about them.

If you try them out let me know how you get on with them, was considering getting them for the guitar I'm building for my daughter until I learn inlay work myself :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
talk to cSuttle , he does inlay work like no ones buissness, im sure he could give you some pointers and point you in a good direction to start

heres his website to see some examples of his awesomeness
http://www.sharkinlay.com/
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
If I'm not mistaken, the PRS guitars with the dragon inlays go for around 25k.

Quote by Dave8706
as gibsonman said. its not for beginners.
i myself havent long started trying to cut my own inlays. very time consuming and tedious work. thats just from straight lines and simple curves. some bits snap off or split..

highly detailed dragon..... PRS dragon guitar.. (checks book - the art of inlay, larry robinson) for the fingerboard alone counts upto 201 pieces of abalone, mother of pearl, coral and tirquoise.
not sure how much those guitars go for.

to get the standard dots removed permenantly... what i do though is drill a hole in the middle. put a soldering iron on the inlay, heat it up to melt the glue with a pin or paperclip hook that in the hole you drilled and pull it out..

i would maybe practice on plastics, thin metal sheet, maybe even glass from somethin like picture frames.
some types of shell.. if not all. are toxic to some degree
Quote by Granitewolf
Haha, will do!
And good luck with that, whatcha building? :P

Hot Pink HH Strat with black hardware >.<
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Granitewolf
Like, something such as a highly detailed dragon extending from the 3rd fret to the 21st be done? What would the price range be?
Well the inlay below covers 7 small frets and costs $450 so something covering 19 frets is going to be considerably more money.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by M_16A
talk to cSuttle , he does inlay work like no ones buissness, im sure he could give you some pointers and point you in a good direction to start

heres his website to see some examples of his awesomeness
http://www.sharkinlay.com/

Wow, this is guy is good, and thank you, i will
Quote by GABarrie
Hot Pink HH Strat with black hardware >.<

ohh, ehh, sounds fun...?