I've never had to use an FX loop before, but I'm getting a chance to use one at an upcoming gig. Should I just put all of my FX pedals in the loop, or are there pedals that should go out of the loop?

(see my sig for my pedals, in order of how I put them)
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
It depends, if you want the pedals to effect the out signal of the amp or if you want them to effect your guitar out signal.
What amp are you going to be using that has an FX loop? I would say you shouldn't use it at all but I'm sure some will say at least a few of those pedals belong in the loop.
Me non comprohende. What do you mean by this? I've had a tonne of experience with guitars and effects and amps, but none with FX loops. Can you go into a little more detail?
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
I wouldn't put any of your pedals in the loop. The effects loop is more widely used for time based effects ie delay, phaser, even chorus.
RIP Gooze

cats
None of the pedals in your sig belong in the FX loop.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If the pedals you're using are the ones in your sig, don't worry about it. They all belong in front of the amp anyway.

EDIT: Super ninja'd. This is what happens when you leave a page open for a long time before posting.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 3, 2011,
I would never put a phaser in an FX loop... to each their own.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Same. It sounds too metallic-y after distortion IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ok, thanks! So if I was using a delay pedal it would be more suited for an FX loop?
Fender MIM Jaguar
Again there are loads of ways to skin a cat and different folk do different things but from your list of pedals I would have all of them between your guitar and the amp input rather than in the effects loop. I would really only put a delay pedal into my effects loop and I dont use reverb that much in my guitar signal chain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

I don't like all phasers in the loop, but I do like some
RIP Gooze

cats
You need to research the amp and make sure the pedals you put in the loop will work in the loop. Doing this for the first time at a gig sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Quote by mark66saints
Ok, thanks! So if I was using a delay pedal it would be more suited for an FX loop?

yeah

it doesn't have to go in the loop, but it's definitely one of the effects types which *might* benefit from going in the loop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess I'll leave everything out of the loop for now.

While I've got this thread open, I may as well ask about noise gaits. I desperately need one to stop the circuit buzz from my pedal board. A friend of a friend is selling a used Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor. How good are these at keeping hum low? Is there anything better, and is there any difference between pedals?
Fender MIM Jaguar
isp decimator's better, but it's more expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mark66saints

Yup. Delay, reverb, chorus, flange and tremolo usually go in the loop. The only one that absolutely needs a loop IMO is reverb (unless you're playing metal and need a ton of clarity and uniform repeats, then delay as well). The others can be adjusted to work nicely in front of an amp, though with a different sound.

Quote by fly135
You need to research the amp and make sure the pedals you put in the loop will work in the loop. Doing this for the first time at a gig sounds like a recipe for disaster.

This as well. Some amps have loops designed to work with rack equipment and will distort the input of most pedal effects in a really nasty way. And some will work nice with pedals at low volumes but as you turn it up, the loop out level increases and starts to get up to line level and beyond.

Quote by mark66saints
I guess I'll leave everything out of the loop for now.

While I've got this thread open, I may as well ask about noise gaits. I desperately need one to stop the circuit buzz from my pedal board. A friend of a friend is selling a used Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor. How good are these at keeping hum low? Is there anything better, and is there any difference between pedals?

The NS-2 is decent as long as you don't try to gate every little noise that pops up. Then it'll start choking your sustain and sound like ass. The ISP mentioned is far superior but more expensive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah, and even the bog standard decimator is a bit more expensive than the ns2- if you need to gate pedals in front of the amp (or guitar noise) and amp noise too, the g-string is a lot more expensive.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was playing with my 5150 yesterday, and I honestly got no tone loss from my NS-2, with it in, off, and out of my signal chain.

I know, none of us want to turn this into one of "those" threads, but... it's a really good pedal for how much it costs (got mine for $50 used).

So depends on your budget. If you can afford it, by all means, go for the Decimator. I would have one if it was a financially viable option. But if you can't shell out that much, there's nothing wrong with the NS-2.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The NS2 is a solid gate if you set the threshold and decay properly. You should be able to hit a chord and it will ring out to feedback, but if you mute the strings with your hand for a second, it should kick in and cut your signal. At least that's how I had mine set when I was using it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
You never want to choke your sustain with your noise gate. I am going to the length of taping a cloth full of lead shot to my headstock to add more mass, for more sustain. Don't choke that shiz with a noise gate, IMO, nobody really needs them unless they run tons of effects.

You put it before the amp to quiet your guitar, and in the loop to quiet the preamp.

Do not put it before the speaker cab to quiet the power section. Bad ideas.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Do not put it before the speaker cab to quiet the power section. Bad ideas.

What would happen if you put the noise gate between the head and the cab?
How can you have any pudding when you don't eat your meat!

GEAR
-heavily customized Jackson PS-1
-Epiphone les paul studio
-bugera 1990 half stack
-vox AD30VT-XL
-original cry baby
-boss GE-7
-boss CE-5
-homemade FX loop switcher
Your OT will probably blow up if you have a tube power section and the pedal input would for sure be fried.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Well, that would be bad. I guess I'll cross that off the list of things to try.
How can you have any pudding when you don't eat your meat!

GEAR
-heavily customized Jackson PS-1
-Epiphone les paul studio
-bugera 1990 half stack
-vox AD30VT-XL
-original cry baby
-boss GE-7
-boss CE-5
-homemade FX loop switcher