Hi all,

I own an epiphone Les Paul Custom plus, which I bought as ex-demo at a real steal.

As time has gone on, I've only had the guitar for about 2 months now, but I've realised that the pickups are quite damaged/messed up, the guitar was discounted for discolouration of the pickups (the gold hardware has worn, and the epiphone stickers that cover the pickups had burned the goldplating a bit) I don't mind the discolouration, it adds a really nice character to the guitar that I am quite happy with, but I've realised that the problem is deeper than that. The pickups hum, and I can't seem to fix the problem, at first the tech thought it was the jack, but that didn't fix the problem, and now, the rhythm pickup is all messed up. The rhythm pickup makes the low E string for some reason insanely loud and distorted, which doesn't make sense...

As you can imagine, I am getting fed up with this, particularly because these niggling problems are taking away from what is otherwise a brilliant guitar, the neck plays beautifully, and the pickups (when they work properly) have a lovely sound!

As a result, I want to put in new pickups as a temporary solution till I can afford some Bareknuckle pickups.

I've been looking at these: http://www.axesrus.com/axehumbuckers.htm (the very first ones, as they sound just like what I have already)

Ok, so now the point. I thought, while I'm at it, I might as well go ahead and coiltap and put a reverse phase unit into the guitar, something I've wanted to do all along, can someone help me pick the appropriate kit for this? I am a total loss with this, I know that logarithmic pots are what I want, but obviously you need special tapping pots and series/parallel pots for the phasing etc etc but I don't know where to begin! The same website sells wiring kits, but they come with all these options i don't understand...

Please help! the kits can be found here:

http://www.axesrus.com/axeWiringLP.htm

For the help, I will post a thread showing my progress wiring the thing together, and the resulting sound I get from my guitar!
You want to get the Epiphone Wiring Kit - Ultimate Mod. Although tapping is actually called splitting. You can use either Lin or Log pots, your preference. I think Epiphone use Linear stock. Capacitors are your preference too, bigger the vlaue the more treble is rolled off. 22 is normal for humbuckers, 47 for singles. If you think you'll use the split a lot then go for 33.
Have you tried simply lowering the pickups further into the guitar so they aren't as close to the strings. I have the same problem as you on my SG and that's all it took to fix it.
Also rather than spend money on new pickups that you're planning to replace anyway, why not get 1 of the pickups you want to change first then you're already half way there, if you can't afford them now you are just making life harder on yourself in the long run by spending the money you're saving on something else "just for now".
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Have you tried simply lowering the pickups further into the guitar so they aren't as close to the strings. I have the same problem as you on my SG and that's all it took to fix it.
Also rather than spend money on new pickups that you're planning to replace anyway, why not get 1 of the pickups you want to change first then you're already half way there, if you can't afford them now you are just making life harder on yourself in the long run by spending the money you're saving on something else "just for now".

My guitar tutor already has set that up for me, cause there was some buzzing caused by loose parts, and he set the pickup height while he was at it, I am worried the rhythm pickup is damaged.

You make a good point about the pickups, but the Bareknuckles I want are in the region of like £200 excluding the new pots kit, whereas the current setup would only set me back £70, and would last me happily for a few years before I decide to shell out for the uber pickups.

As it stands, I play at home for myself and occasionally with friends, the Bareknuckle pickups are a pipe-dream, and arguably, a silly waste of money as I don't play live, and they would cost nearly as much as the guitar itself
Yeah people on the internet seem to have this thing that all stock pickups must be ripped out straight away, every single player in the world needs at least Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios and you should never think about doing a single gig unless you have a set of Bare Knuckles. It's kind of silly. Stock pickups or pickups like the ones Axesrus make will be fine for years to come. No point buying boutique pickups when next to nobody will hear them. It's not like pickups actually change the way you play.
Absolutely!

The soundclip makes them seem really smooth and warm, and as close to the PAF sound as I will get in my current price range, hopefully the soundclip wasn't total BS/a lie, so I'm hoping I'll get a nice sound out of them!

the only fear I have and it's purely aesthetic, is that the gold hardware will look obviously different to the rest of the gold hardware on the guitar atm, but it's a small issue and I'm not that bothered!
You dont really need any of those kits. You can order the parts from China for less than half that. All you need is a couple (or 4 for a jimmy page) push-pulls (or toggle switches if you dont mind cutting holes for them) Push pulls are about $5 each (that would be about £3? idk) and toggles are much less. Most of the Chinese ebay shops will ship for free! You can re-use the capacitors that are already in your guitar.
i have a hard time thinking you have a bad pickup. unless a wire in the actual coiling broke and left an open circuit or something, it is most likely something else. another way is if you left it int the car on a hot day and the wax from the pickups melted, or you spilled liquid on them.

pickups generally dont die. i would look into the wiring more. its not that hard, there are plenty of resources online to show you how.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by grohl1987
Yeah people on the internet seem to have this thing that all stock pickups must be ripped out straight away, every single player in the world needs at least Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios and you should never think about doing a single gig unless you have a set of Bare Knuckles. It's kind of silly. Stock pickups or pickups like the ones Axesrus make will be fine for years to come. No point buying boutique pickups when next to nobody will hear them. It's not like pickups actually change the way you play.

well the stock pickups are crap. they do hum really bad and sound very muddy. you dont have to change them out but you never know how good your epi can be keeping the stock ones in. I guess im one of those people on the internet, ive put seymour duncans in mine and now the sound rivals my gibson lp.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a hard time thinking you have a bad pickup. unless a wire in the actual coiling broke and left an open circuit or something, it is most likely something else. another way is if you left it int the car on a hot day and the wax from the pickups melted, or you spilled liquid on them.

pickups generally dont die. i would look into the wiring more. its not that hard, there are plenty of resources online to show you how.

I'm generally handy with my electricals and I've had a good look around in the back and everything is wired just fine, I'm gonna take the guitar to the guy again on tuesday after i've had my tutor look at it again and see what the tech in my local store says, like I said it's still under warranty but I'm surprised he's not picked up that before, but we'll see what's up with it by tuesday, but the guitar hums which isn't normal for something humbuckers, and i've tested it in other places with other rigs and it still hums, so it's not anything else, it's the guitar.

the guitar ex-demo so I won't be shocked to find out something stupid has happened to it
Quote by madh4ttr
well the stock pickups are crap. they do hum really bad and sound very muddy. you dont have to change them out but you never know how good your epi can be keeping the stock ones in. I guess im one of those people on the internet, ive put seymour duncans in mine and now the sound rivals my gibson lp.

I would say both cases are right, I am playing at home, and a jammer, not a gigging musician, but I've always been told it's all about having a good amp, so I always thought as long as the pickups function it shouldn't matter too much, for me, the pickups need to have a certain character, but the rest of my tone shaping will be from amp and pedals

Of course I bought the epi because I can't afford a gibson, but I'm saving up!
Quote by SMTHSCN
I would say both cases are right, I am playing at home, and a jammer, not a gigging musician, but I've always been told it's all about having a good amp, so I always thought as long as the pickups function it shouldn't matter too much, for me, the pickups need to have a certain character, but the rest of my tone shaping will be from amp and pedals

Of course I bought the epi because I can't afford a gibson, but I'm saving up!

well Im mostley a home jammer as well now and while your amp plays a HUGE role in your tone, dont underestimate what a good pickup can do. $100 or so will get you a nice set of SD's and you will think you have a new guitar when you put them in
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
it sounds like you have a bad wire. while you are at it, and planning to upgrade pickups anyway, get a GOOD wiring kit.

you'd be surprised by how much better your guitar will sound with a high quality wiring kit.

most people think pickups need replacing the most, when they are probably about the middle line to improving tone. most manufacturers skimp out on wiring (especially people like epiphone) and the main difference between epiphones and low end gibsons, are things like the wiring and such.

so do yourself a favor buy a good wiring kit for like 50 euros and be surprised that your problems will most likely go away and your tone will be eons better.
Quote by 00_hns_00
it sounds like you have a bad wire. while you are at it, and planning to upgrade pickups anyway, get a GOOD wiring kit.

you'd be surprised by how much better your guitar will sound with a high quality wiring kit.

most people think pickups need replacing the most, when they are probably about the middle line to improving tone. most manufacturers skimp out on wiring (especially people like epiphone) and the main difference between epiphones and low end gibsons, are things like the wiring and such.

so do yourself a favor buy a good wiring kit for like 50 euros and be surprised that your problems will most likely go away and your tone will be eons better.

yep, you hit the nail right on the head. besides upgrading the pickups, I also upgraded the wiring with bcsguitars.com vintage wiring. makes all the difference in the world BUT at the same time, epiphone skimps on it's pu's as well so replacements of higher quality is recommended with the wiring upgrade
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I plan on buying a wiring kit when I get the pickups, it's in the 2nd link on my OP, it's the epiphone wiring kit - ultimate mod

I might in addition to this buy some extra shielded cable just to be absolutely certain!