Hi guys,

I'm the proud owner of an ibanez RG2228 8 string guitar. I typically play with this badboy through a boss-MT-2 distortion pedal which feeds directly into a yamaha recording desking and ultimately JBL speakers. I own a Marshall combo amp but it can't seem to deal with the bassyness of the 8 string.

I'm pretty much looking to get an amp that will enable me (with or without the MT-2 pedal) to have the most medal (but still crisp!) sound i can possibly get out of my guitar. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much for your help guys, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to gear

Added as suggested;

Budget? - Preferably <5k

Genres? - with this guitar, metal (ie meshuggah/opeth/decapitated)

New or Used? - either

Home or Gig? - both

Closest City? - Adelaide, Australia
Last edited by Mantra46 at Aug 5, 2011,
What's your budget?
Gear:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey 6505+ Combo (60w)
Roland Cube 20w
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
maybe a peavey 5150?
but personally i love my engl 530 preamp for this low end stuff...
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

if you have big budget i'd say: the Engl invader, periphery played through it, and animals as leaders still play through it, extremely versatile, good sounding from crystal clean to the biggest most modern metal sound known to mankind. or buy a axe FX from fractal audio if you like good sounding modeling the thing sounds awesome allthough i prefer tubes.
added info on budget;

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the peavey 5150/engl 530/engl invader?

thanks guys for your help much appreciated
Under 5k? DAR Forza Quattro, if they're out yet, that is. If not, I'd get an Axe FX Ultra and a powered Atomic Cab.

EDIT: Oh, australian dollars.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Fortin Natas and whatever decent cab you can get with the balance.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Something Engl for sure, probably an invader. Add to that a good cab (Mesa Recto, Vader, Engl, Whitebox, the list goes on...)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Axe FX Ultra w/ Atomic Cab
Peavey 6505+
Framus Cobra or Dragon
Engl Invader
Gear:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey 6505+ Combo (60w)
Roland Cube 20w
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
thanks for all the feedback guys. if i went the peavey 6505 or 5150 should i get both the head and quadbox in that make?
A Mesa Mark V
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by AEnesidem
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

if you have big budget i'd say: the Engl invader, periphery played through it, and animals as leaders still play through it, extremely versatile, good sounding from crystal clean to the biggest most modern metal sound known to mankind. or buy a axe FX from fractal audio if you like good sounding modeling the thing sounds awesome allthough i prefer tubes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty damn sure that both of those bands play through an Axe FX.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
^They do, but they also use real amps on occasion.

I say-
Engl Invader/Steve Morse/Savage/Powerball II/Fireball
Mesa Mark IV/V (NOT a Recto, unless its a Road King/Roadster)
Axe Fx II w/ FRFR poweramp and cabs
Fortin Natas is also a good idea
What about that sig amp that Meshuggahs Frederick something got? I think Ola did a demo of that with an RGA 8.........
Some sort of Diezel? Ive heard the Herbert and the Haegn are pretty br00t4l (read: epically awesome). Im sure MC and Acoustic Mirror will agree to that
HK TriAmp is also an option........
SLO is a good idea f youre gonna do djent......sounds epic for djent with a boost.......
Framus Dragon/Cobra?
ANd come on, a 5150 with a 5K budget?
Diezel, ENGL, DAR, or have one custom made.

The options are nearly endless on that budget.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by GS LEAD 5

What about that sig amp that Meshuggahs Frederick something got? I think Ola did a demo of that with an RGA 8.........

+1 This thing sounded HUGE in the demo that Ola did
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
seriously dude a axefx ultra will do you fine

but the axefx 2 has a waiting list :P
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
seriously dude a axefx ultra will do you fine

but the axefx 2 has a waiting list :P

Only if you want the $400 discount. Otherwise you can order one once they come back form vacation.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
guys, thanks for all your great feedback!

would i be right in saying that the majority of you are saying either engl invader or the axe amp!?! could someone pretty plz give me a quick run down of the pros/cons of each? thanks again for all the help
Invader- most awesome amp ever
Axe- Does everything except make you banana split.

seriusly speaking- the Invader is a typical amp. Perfect for plug and play, br00t4l sounding, can get a lot of tones.

The Axe......is a tweakers wet dream (and a plug and play guys worse nitghtmare). You can adjust everything, from tone stacks to cab resonance to tube bias to creating virtual amps that dont actually exist (ie Mesa Dual Recto preamp with a Blackface poweramp). As for effects, you can adjust voltage, pedal headroom etc etc etc.
In short, you can do anything. But there is a LOT of tweaking involved. Its hard to get in the sweet spot. But once its done, it sounds epic.

Check youtube for fearedse's comparison between the Axe V1 and his Dual Recto. It sounds almost indistinguishable in spite of using different cabs (models for the axe).

The Vii has twice the processing ability of the 1 btw. So you can do a lot more.

However, keep in mind youll have to buy a MIDI pedalboard, a rack poweramp and a cab/FRFR system along with the Axe.

Ultimately its personal preference. You really cant go wrong with either.

If you play a bit of everything, I suggest the Axe. If its jsut a few sounds youre after, grab the ENGL.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^They do, but they also use real amps on occasion.

I say-
Engl Invader/Steve Morse/Savage/Powerball II/Fireball
Mesa Mark IV/V (NOT a Recto, unless its a Road King/Roadster)
Axe Fx II w/ FRFR poweramp and cabs
Fortin Natas is also a good idea
Some sort of Diezel? Ive heard the Herbert and the Haegn are pretty br00t4l (read: epically awesome). Im sure MC and Acoustic Mirror will agree to that
HK TriAmp is also an option........
SLO is a good idea f youre gonna do djent......sounds epic for djent with a boost.......
Framus Dragon/Cobra?
ANd come on, a 5150 with a 5K budget?

He's in Australia man diezels and SLOs go for up to $6000 - $8000 here
AxeFx is a good choice really, but they can be love/hate on whether you like it or not. its a slightly different experience to playing with a normal valve amp, i was fairly impressed with what it can do but to me i think its just overkill with the versatility

if i were looking at amps tho i would say either a 2 channel Dual Rec with a boost and a noise gate along with a Recto 4x12, or an ENGL of some sort with a Recto 4x12.

For the guys talking about DAR those will be knocking $6000+ in Australia if theyre going to be 3500 pounds in Europe, although the FBM-100 does look like it will be one of the best metal amps on the planet looking at the videos that Ola has been showing
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
AXEFX with a power amp/cab/midi board will get you all of the tones in 1 box. Unless you just play mostly one 1 channel then its ideal do just go with a ENGL
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
thanks again guys,

so if i was to get an AXE, would i need a cab or could i just go straight through desk & JBL speakers?
Quote by Ippon
The AU$ is relatively strong ... I shipped a SLO for a lot less a few months back.

Yeah tell that to the Australian retailers

Yeah I try and buy online when I can