I have a Godin Freeway classic with an H-S-H combination. How can i tell if my pickups are active or passive ?
Do they use a battery?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
No there is no opening on the guitar to fit a battery, at least not that i can see.

Im not sure if there is a location for a battery inside.
Active pups need a battery, usually 9volt, if there is no input for a battery then they are passive
If you don't know that they're active, they're probably passive. But just take the control plate off and check for a battery.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Thanks guys, i think mine are pasive then ?

What are the advantages of having an active pickup ?
Just a different sound. It's all preference really.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
They're passive.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Bloody hell, was it too hard to just google the same guitar name you gave us and look at the spec?! Even googling active pickups would tell you that they run off 9V batteries...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by joey78
Thanks guys, i think mine are pasive then ?

What are the advantages of having an active pickup ?

Actives sound a bit more sterile i think, they have less life. I think of passives as sounding human, and actives sounding like cyborgs. They still sound great, especially for metal, but passives just seem to have a better tone in my opinion.
Actives were made for jazz playing so they're super responsive and have a really broad tone. The problem with that is it means they lack character. Passive pickups all sound different because some are underwound so they don't pick up bass as much and some are wound really hot so they pick up the mids more and you can do crazy things with diffreent types of wire and magnet and mismatching coils. With actives they all sound the same because they're all made to have that broad and even response.

Neither is worse. Just different strokes for different folks.